Thursday, May 28, 2009

Guest Author Diana Rubino

Welcome Diana Rubino today, author of the new book A Bloody Good Cruise

A Bloody Good Cruise is a humorous story about how romance author Mona Rossi and her on and off again main squeeze, Fausto Silvius, a full blooded vampire, narrowly escape a lunatic fringe group of vampire hunters they call the Vampire Ball Busters.

It's set on The Romanza, a cruise ship on a Mediterranean voyage. Its premise is: facing your fears leads to acceptance and may lead to truth, inner peace, and the ultimate everlasting love. What sets it apart is that it's the only chick lit romance set on a cruise ship that I'm aware exists so far.I love cruising and vampires, so I thought I'd combine the two for a unique twist. Mona's being a romance writer added another fun ingredient to the mix.

My vampires aren't 'traditional' in that they sleep in coffins, have fangs, or hate garlic (they're all Italian!) They originated in Ancient Rome from a gene that mutated. I wanted to give a biological reason for why they'd evolved as vampires.

But the main theme is about tolerance; at the end, Fausto 'comes out' as a vampire on international TV, and asks the world that they accept him and his kind, don't hate them because they're different, and makes a plea for the whole human race to get along (because deep down, vamps really are 'human').

So, aside from having a lot of fun on this cruise, I hope readers will see that these guys and gals are just like us, and being 'turned' isn't all so bad!

The book is on sale in paperback at http://www.amazon.com/, and from my publisher Eternal Press, http://www.eternalpress.ca/.

Thanks for dropping by Diana. Oh, and look for me doing an interview at Diana's site on June 18th.

7 comments:

Diana Rubino said...

Hi Roxanne,
Thanks again for inviting me to guest. I'm looking forward to chatting with you and with other readers who love vamps.
The current novel I'm reading now is about Jack the Ripper--I was saving it for a real Ripper night--foggy, stormy, cold--and last night and I hope tonight again will be perfect. We've had the last few days like this here in New England, great for catching up on blogging, other promo, and maybe some real writing!
Catch you later! Diana

Roxanne Rhoads said...

Jack the Ripper, such an interesting topic and eternal, centuries later and people are still fascinated.

Last night was spooky here as well, stormy and foggy, I got the creeps when I looked outside. :-)

Susan said...

Thanks for a very nice interview and an interesting read.
Of course if you want a real-life American Jack the Ripper, look no further than Herman Webster Mudgett, who worked about the same time, in Chicago.
For myself, I prefer the fictional variety, including yours!

Diana Rubino said...

Oh, yes, I've read about Mudgett! He was in Chicago? I remember reading about another Jack type killer from NH. I'll have to go back & look that up, now you've got me interested again!
What I like about this book is that he writes in Jack's POV, in 1st person, from a diary that Jack left. I don't want to skip ahead & see who Jack really is--I'd rather be surprised.
It's only in the 40s here, another great Ripper day & night.
I also just opened a Facebook account, finding my way around that. It never ends! Diana

cornelia amiri said...

The book sounds great, I love that the heroine is a romance author, the story is set on a cruise ship, and the vampires are Italian. It sounds fabulous.

Unknown said...

Hi Diana and Roxanne!

Really enjoyed hearing about how your vampires came into being, I love the whole Italian feel. This book just sounds like fun and I'll be looking for it.

Dottie :)

Diana Rubino said...

Hi Dottie,
Just went over to your blog & left a comment. Looks great! I became a follower. Please drop in on mine when you get a chance, and Roxanne will be guesting on June 18.
www.dianarubinoauthor.blogspot.com.
Nice meeting you! Diana

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.