Thursday, April 22, 2010

Character Naming with Raine Delight




How do you name your characters?

Well that question stumps me each and every time I am asked that. How do I name my characters…well for one thing, my characters have a mind of their own. If I say Character A is named Max, he will turn around and say “My name is Dax, not Max” and frankly over power my muse’s desires. I can try to get a word edgewise in but it is a losing battle. I learned early on to give them free reign on their names and personality traits. I like to be surprised by their comments and desires. One day I was working a WIP (work in progress) and found myself instead of dealing with a vampire like I originally planned, he wanted to be a were-tiger instead. Needless to say after butting heads with him, I found myself agreeing he works better as a tiger, especially if he is a rare white tiger with no pride. Hence forth, my next Devon Falls story, Moonlight & Magic was born and I am currently trying to finish it.


You can find more on it on my website http://authorrainedelight.com/

In my Haunting Magic story (out now at Aspen Mountain Press, Amazon Kindle and other places), I tell a tale of a wolf shifter named Rodrick Dracon. Now he was a fun character to create. He was the playboy of Devon Falls and loved the ladies. But alas, destiny has a way of slapping you in the face when it decided that its time to settle down. When fate picked his mate, the feisty and annoying Jaxon, lots of sparks fly and passion boils over. These two characters struck me when I mentioned them in Fiery Magic as secondary characters. They had so many sparks flying, it was any wonder that their story just had to be told. Here is the cover of it:


Isn’t it gorgeous? I love this cover so much. Besides, who doesn’t want to check out the guys butt while drooling? *laughs*

My inspiration for my characters tends to revolve around Johnny Depp. Anyone who knows me knows I love this man’s acting ability. He plays a wide variety of parts and always seems to deliver a stellar performance each time. So basically all my heroes tend to look like him and go from there. J Though I have to say some things caught my imagination like what would happen if gamma rays from space hit earth and wiped the planet out…what would happen to the few survivors? That made me think and since I was watching POTC with Johnny, I created my Space Pirates- all alpha male, dominant and sexy fun. :-)

So I have a question for you readers, what character’s name was the best you heard or the silliest? I look forward to hearing your answers.

Here is an excerpt of my best selling Devon Falls title, Haunting Magic. You can check out the book trailer at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8G5qDzyllY

ADULT in nature:

Rodrick Dracon is the twin heir to the Dragon Inn. When he finds himself longing for a mate after being footloose and fancy free, he finds himself drawn to the most obnoxious, brassy woman he has ever met: Jaxon Sinclair. She is the one woman who doesn't melt when he goes by or hangs on his every word. She is just aggravating and down right sexy as sin! Soon the sparks fly, passion goes into boiling and Halloween approaches. Can a wolf shifter get this woman to heel before the full moon? Or can Jax turn the tables on this ladies man and tame the wolf?

Excerpt:

Jax was stunned by the clenching of her pussy as he traced his finger down her nose. If she didn’t know better, she could have sworn there was a flare of interest in his eyes; though it could have been that she was moon mazed or something. Jax tried to still the weak kneed response to him touching her as she tried to form an annoying response.

“You can boil water? Oh My God!” Jax looked up at the darkening sky then back at Rod. “Wow the sky hasn’t fallen yet. Did you pay off Heaven or something? Has Hell frozen over and no one told the Devil?”

The smile that played on her lips had him growling low in his throat. Jax didn’t know what to think when Rod yanked her to him and said, “You have a death wish don’t you Jax? You really don’t want me to show you that I can do that and so much more.” The last was said so low and as he nipped her ear, Jax felt her bones turn to mush. He turned her on, no two ways about it and damn it, why him? He has to be the most annoying man on this planet yet he also was sexy as sin and damn it to hell and back, he made her want him with every inch of her being. Trying to shove away from him was like trying to hit a rock with an open palm. He was an immovable object and his eyes, she could have sworn, glowed faintly.

“Will you please let me go, you ass?” Jax tried to keep her voice strong and pissed off but dang it, he was making her stomach do flips every time he nipped her ear. “If you really want to prove to me you can cook, fine. I swear it is like your male ego got in a snit or something.” She huffed and blew her breath out when nothing else seemed to make him let go, though if she was honest with herself, she liked his hands on her body, not like she was going to tell this idiot that. No telling what else he would do with that information.

“Is it possible that I can go grab some food before I die of starvation? I swear if that was your goal tonight, Rod, you are not doing a very good job.” Jax said as she felt his hands glide down her arms then let go, the lack of his touch almost had her keening for more. This attraction she had for him was getting out of hand, especially as she and Rod rub against each other like oil and water.

Her treacherous body leaned into him before she caught herself and as she glared at him, she didn’t know what the hell was going on tonight but for some reason tonight he was determined to drive her insane.

“Go get your take out, Jax, but tomorrow, make no plans for the evening. I got something to prove and frankly, I am more than happy to show you what else I can do besides what you may perceive.”

You can purchase Haunting Magic at the following places:

Aspen Mountain Press:
http://www.aspenmountainpress.com/more-hot-reads/haunting-magic/prod_112.html

Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Devon-Falls-Haunting-Magic-ebook/dp/B002W14EVG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1259592317&sr=1-2

ArE: http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-devonfallshauntingmagic-184676-142.html

1Romance: http://1romanceebooks.com/erotica/devon-falls-haunting-magic/prod_585.html

3 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Great Interview! I love the cover of the book!

Isabel Roman said...

Great interview and what a delicious exerpt. Beautiful cover, too! As for names, they're probably the 2nd hardest part of the book for me. (Titles being the hardest.) But I have found, part way through a story, that the name isn't working.

I have heard some sill names, but sometimes, if I don't know how to pronounce them, I either skip the book or never bother to learn the character's name. Makes reading a tad bit harder.

DawnsReadingNook said...

Got to say thanks for having me here today Fang-Tastic Books. :) Isn't that cover drool worthy? *grins* I love it!

Raine D.

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.