Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Review of Black Dust Mambo by Adrian Phoenix





Black Dust Mambo is something new set in the sexy, supernatural city of New Orleans. Voodoo, hoodoo and magic abound in this crazy tale about hexes and curses, nomads, vessels, and root doctors.

I love to read just about anything set in New Orleans- this is a city that calls my name. The city itself has such a dark and gritty feel to it sometimes and a story set in this magical place automatically sucks me in.

Magic, sex, mystery, murder, and hot guys abound in this book. One hot guy in particular- and he's one sexy nomad. Too bad is ex-wife is always hanging around.

Anyway the book focuses on Kallie Rivier a cajun hoodoo apprentice with a knack for getting itno trouble and trying to punch her way out. She wakes up one morning in New Orleans in the middle of the magic carnival with a dead guy in her bed. He's been hexed...and the hex was meant for her.

Trouble keeps following her around because someone is determined to kill her. It's a wild ride that keeps you turning the page wanting- needing to know more.

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this book however a few things got on my nerves:

I didn't feel the world building was entirely there- I was not sure if the humans understood that real magic existed among them and I never understood exactly who or what the "squatters" were.

Basil Augustine- this guy was a mystery it mentions centuries of existence but then he's downed by a bullet. If he was immortal how did a simple bullet take him down. Odd and not really explained well.

beaucoup- the overuse of this word was starting to jar my nerves

McKenna- she's always referred to as a leprechaun but she talks with a brogue. From the use of the word brogue right down to how the words are pronounced (as written) that tells me she's Scottish- yet leprechauns are Irish. That got on my nerves big time.

But other than those little things that tweaked my bitchometer I zipped fast through this book because I just had to know what was going on and what was going to happen next- and I really wanted to find out if Kallie and a certain sexy nomad were ever going to hook up.

Nope not telling - go read the book.

2 comments:

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Awesome! This is on my TBR list of books I need to buy. Was wondering what other people thought of it too. Glad to hear it was good despite those few little things!

Roxanne Rhoads said...

yes, it was good- a fast paced page turner.

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.