Monday, May 2, 2011

Interview and Tour Kick Off with Jacqueline Paige

Welcome to Fang-tastic Books Jacquleine, it's wonderful to have you here on the first day of your Bewitching Book Tour.

Let’s get started by learning more about you, what would you like to tell us about yourself?

In the real world I’m a busy mom to five (three are still at home and love me despite my many failings) and a manager of a large café and eatery. It’s when I step across the threshold of my writing cave I transform into an author of all things paranormal. In this realm I keep company with witches, pirate ghosts, psychics and shifters — I’m never sure who will greet me as I close the door.

When did you start writing?

I’ve attempted writing off and on for as far back as I can remember, but some event in life always seemed to get in the way. It wasn’t until 2006 I sat down and finished an entire story — from there it’s been non-stop words flying from my fingertips.

What was your first published work?

I sat on that first story for three years before I decided to submit it somewhere, and still two years later I can’t believe it was published. Beltane Magic (book I in the Magic Seasons series) was the first book with my name on it to reach the public. (At present the entire series is undergoing rewrites to be re-released)

Tell us about your current book?

Twice Cursed is a paranormal romance that I had so much fun writing. At the start it was to be about a witch that had something happen to her magic so that each time she tried to use it something went awry but then curses and spirits appeared on the pages and turned it into a story that kept even me as the writer guessing what was going to happen next.

What was the inspiration behind this book?

I don’t know if it could be called inspiration but I the idea for Twice Cursed came to me out of nowhere. I wondered what it would be like to have magical abilities (be a hereditary witch) but have something go wonky with those powers so the exact opposite of what you intended to do happened. Of course the characters didn’t co-operate completely and the story I started to write turned into something entirely different by the end.

Can you give us a little glimpse into the book, perhaps a part of one of your favorite scenes?

I’d love to.

Maddy sighed and closed the book. She stood there debating on whether to go out and tell Colin help was on the way, or to sit here and try to figure it out more before Ginger got here. Colin came bolting into the room.

“A woman just came out of your tree!” He looked over his shoulder and then back to her.

Maddy grimaced. She probably should have warned him about that too. “She’s come to help figure this out.”

He turned and watched as the woman reached the house. “And popping out of trees is okay?”

Maddy glanced behind him to see Ginger coming in. “Uh, yeah.” Colin turned and backed up to the desk, then perched on the edge of it.

Ginger came in the room and stopped short, looking at the man leaning on the desk. “Oh, I hadn’t thought to ask if it was a man from our community, but I see by the look on his face he’s not.”

Colin shook his head. “Lady, I don’t even think we’re from the same planet.”


What are you working on now?

I am presently working on far too much at the same time! J

As I mentioned I’m doing re-writes to the first three books in the Magic Seasons series. This was harder than I thought it would be. Stepping back into something written five years ago has proved challenging. I also have the second book in the Hidden Senses Trilogy on the editing table and the first book in my Animal Trilogy.

In addition to the tedious chore of re-writes and editing I’m writing two different stories, The Witch from Within — a first in yet another Trilogy, Sisters Of Heart and After the Silence — which I’m very excited about as it’s nothing like anything I’ve ever attempted to write before.

As you can see my muse keeps me occupied at all times.


What would readers be surprised to learn about you?

I’ve had people ask me if any of my ‘ideas’ stemmed from this TV series or that and they are often shocked to find out I don’t have cable or anything. We haven’t had in probably close to eight years now. We have a hugely extensive movie collection and if we really want to see something that is on TV (TRUE BLOOD!!!) we go through the programming networks online and watch it that way. Honestly though there are only one or two shows we feel we need to see in this house — we’d rather read a scene than watch it.

Just for fun lightning round:

Black or white

Black

Red or pink

Red

Angels or Demons

Angels

Vampires or werewolves

Eric err… Vampires

Coke or Pepsi

Coke (with rum)

Coffee or tea

Coffee!!

Wine, beer or mixed drinks

Mixed or just straight up works too

Casual or Formal

Casual please

Backyard barbeque or gourmet meals

Barbeque minus the meat J

Paperback, hardcover, or digital

Is this a trick question? All of the above!

Before you go would you like to share any more details about your current release, perhaps a blurb or excerpt?

I can do both!

Blurb:

Maddy is the oldest witchling to ever attend the Hidden Cove Academy, having been cursed as a teen; she’s forced to have a solitary life outside of her own magical community. With her magic so dangerously unpredictable, she rarely takes the chance on mixing with the general public.

From one harmless trip to a museum she finds herself spellbound yet again by an invisible boundary, caused by a three hundred year old curse, dictating that Maddy must stay close to the stunningly sexy Colin.

Being stuck with a tall, dark, incredibly lick-able stranger can’t be all that bad, right? Until they discover if they get too close the spirits bound with the curse will take over their bodies ... at the same time if they’re too far from one another the curse will kill them both.

Will the curse's secrets be unraveled in time or does certain death await them both?

Excerpt:

She heard him walking towards her. When she moved one arm he was standing over her, glaring down at her. “Sorry, I was right,” she said softly. Whiskers appeared beside her and without one nasty or haughty thought stretched out beside her so her head was across Maddy’s hip. Running a hand over her friend’s furry head, she looked back up at him. His facial expressions were changing so rapidly, she didn’t even want to ponder a guess at what was flying through his mind. “Might as well sit. I have some figuring out to do.”

Colin sat down a few feet from her and studied her. “So, if you’re a...I can’t believe I’m going to say this, witch or whatever, then undo this.”

Maddy frowned. “I’m more of a witchling, than a full fledged witch.” Did she really have to pour out her whole miserable existence to a man she didn’t know? “There’s been a few, um, hiccups in my abilities...”

He leaned closer and looked at her. “Did you do this to us?” She shook her head and he realized that from the upset expression on her face, she didn’t want this anymore than he did. “Define hiccups.”

Maddy bit her lip. “Well... I sometimes don’t always get the uh, desired outcome to my castings.” His eyebrows shot up.

“Desired outcome? You’re telling me you can’t then?”

Maddy leaned up on her elbows. “I didn’t say that. I know I can or would at least like to.”

Colin ran a hand through his hair. He had gone from looking mildly confused to very stressed. “Okay, so what do you mean by desired outcome?” He had no idea what he was asking, then again before today magic and witches were some-thing from cartoons and movies.

Where can your book be found for sale?

Whiskey Creek Press

Amazon Kindle

If readers would like to learn more about you where can they find you on the web?

http://jacqpaige.webs.com/

http://jacqpaige.blogspot.com/

Thank you again for joining us today at Fang-tastic Books.

Thanks for having me here!!


Thank you again for joining us today at Fang-tastic Books.

Thanks for having me here!!

If you would like to take part in the tour wide giveaway leave a comment on this post (and any or all of Jacqueline's guest spots throughout the tour)

The giveaway is tour wide- 1 winner will be chosen from all comments at all stops to win an ecopy of Twice Cursed.

7 comments:

Mysti said...

I have to say I am in deep admiration of a woman who can manage a household with five children, hold down a full-time job, and publish six books. My virtual hat is off to you! And happy to have you on my blog today!!

~Mysti

Jacqueline Paige said...

Aw thanks, Mysti! In truth I'm just crazy and you're so polite to not say that out loud! lol
And thank you for having me today over at your blogging realm as well.

Rosie said...

This one looks great and I would love to read it!

rosie0512 @ hotmail . com

Jacqueline Paige said...

Hey, Rosie.
I hope you do
Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

I don't know how you manage time to do all that and still write books. Please enter me in contest.I would love to read your books. They sound really good. Tore923@aol.com

Jacqueline Paige said...

Managing it overwhelms me some days, so I try not to think about it, Tore.

You'll be entered.
Thanks for stopping by.

:)

Julie S said...

Sounds like a great read. Count me in the giveaway.

juliecookies(at)gmail.com

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.