Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Interview with Kelvin O'Ralph Author of The Beginning

Can you tell readers a little bit about yourself and what inspired to write in this particular genre?
My name's Kelvin O'Ralph, and I'm an undergraduate at a university in the UK. I began writing paranormal romance books after reading and watching the famous Harry Potter and Twilight series. However, what inspired me to write in this genre is mainly due to the fact that I can create my own world and have people intrigued with the world and characters I created.

What inspired you to write this book?
I wrote this book after watching the second installment of Twilight: New Moon. However, the urge to create a paranormal world had always been in existence from the time I read 'The Lord of the Rings'.

Was one of your characters more challenging to write than another?
Certainly. When writing 'LS: The Beginning', I found it hard to write the female character, Julie. I wanted to portray her exquisite and yet alluring nature. Also, writing the two main characters was quite a challenge. I needed them to have a different dialog than the rest of the characters; simply because they were unique.

Is there a character that you enjoyed writing more than any of the others?
Again, I'd go for Julie Hitchens, the admirer of the main character, Stephen Wilson

Do you have a formula for developing characters? Like do you create a character sketch or list of attributes before you start writing or do you just let the character develop as you write?
I let the character's develop, because I found out that some times, the character's disagree with my ideas. For example, I wanted Lisa Morgan to be the captain of the volleyball team and the most popular girl in her class. However, she disagreed. She chose to be the most attractive girl, but quite and composed. Arghh, it angered me :(

What is your favorite scene from the book? Could you share a little bit of it, without spoilers of course?
My favorite scene in the book is where Stephen Wilson shakes Lisa Morgan's hand. The special effects that took place at that instant will be epic if translated to the big screen. 

With the book being part of a series, are there any character or story arcs, that readers jumping in somewhere other than the first book, need to be aware of? Can these books be read as stand alones?
Sadly, one needs to read the first book to understand the rest. I feel it's a journey the main character, Stephen Wilson is undergoing, and you need to begin the journey with him to enjoy the ride. And yes, there are extra character's added in the subsequent books. Rachel in 'LS: Deception', Isabella in 'LS: The Final Battle' etc.

Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? How do you deal with it?
My problem is not really writer's block. Before I start writing a book, I already have all the chapters planned out, which helps to eliminate writer's block, at least most of the time. However, sometimes I get stuck and I can't write even a sentence, not because I don't know what to write, but because I require inspiration to continue writing.

Do you write in different genres?
I plan to. My WIP is under the genre, Thriller.

When did you consider yourself a writer?
The second readers connected with my characters.

January 2nd – Guest Blog

Jan 3 Interview
Fang-tastic Books

Jan 4 Promo/Excerpt
Roxanne’s Realm

Jan 5 Interview and promo JeanzBookReadNReview

Jan 5 Guest blog and review
Sexxy Blogger

Jan 6 Guest Blog and review
Lissette E. Manning

Jan 9 Promo

Jan 10 Guest Blog
From Meredith Allard

Jan 13 Promo
The Wytch's Mirror

Jan 18 Interview
Kay Dee Royal

Jan 20 Review

Jan 20 Promo/Review
Ce-Ce's Garden of Reviews

Jan 22 Interview (review later)
Beverly @ The Wormhole

Jan 24 Promo/Spotlight
Read 2 Review

Jan 26 Guest Blog and review
Book Briefs

The Beginnning
LS Book 1
By Kelvin O’Ralph


A handshake between strangers has never held so much promise for discovery.

When Stephen Wilson meets Lisa Morgan at his new school in Sloutenville, it is the simple act of extending his hand in greeting that flips both of their worlds upside-down. With the gesture, both discover that in some way they are connected, and that they share the ability to manipulate the elements, fire and water. Though their abilities vary, they share the gift of telepathy allowing them to communicate without words, which creates a bond between them stronger than either had expected.

As the two begin to spend more and more time together, David, Lisa's ex becomes wild with jealousy, and launches multiple attacks on Lisa. In the fight against the dangers that await them around every corner, Stephen and Lisa soon discover that they are up against much greater odds than they had originally known, and that their struggles are far from over


Kelvin O'Ralph is a student at the University of Wolverhampton, UK. He is an avid writer and reader, who loves writing Fantasy/Romance novels. LS: The Beginning is the first book in his fantasy series 'LS'. He released the sequel early October 2011.

Kelvin is a huge admirer of Emma Watson, the Harry Potter star and hopes one day she gets to act as one of his characters. Personally, he'd love her to act the role of Lisa Morgan in this book. At least, that's how he envisioned it while writing.

Still in his teens, Kelvin has released four books on Amazon Kindle in 2011. He's working on the final book on the 'LS' series and also on a new project. Like most authors, Kelvin hopes one day his books will be transformed onto the big screen.


Blog: http://icire.blogspot.com

Faceboook Page: http://on.fb.me/f953Nv

Amazon Author Page: http://amzn.to/ukOKWD


Eduardo-emprender said...

Good article, but some of you could explain that when someone gives something with sincerity and without expecting anything in return always get more?

Thanks guys, Greetings!

la caridad y el diezmo

Kelvin O'Ralph said...

Thanks Eduardo for stopping by:)