Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Interview with Veronica Blade Author of A Bite's Tale



Can you tell readers a little bit about yourself and what inspired to write in this particular genre?

I work from home and run the family business, so my schedule is pretty flexible. Translated, that means that I rush through all my “day job” duties so I can hang out with my characters sooner. Our children are mostly out of the house and my wonderful hubby is very understanding about being ignored, which allows more time for… you guessed it — more writing time. I’m such an addict.

I started out writing vampire stories for grown-ups, then I read Twilight and a whole new world opened up for me. I missed the YA stage growing up and never knew it existed. Now, I’m making up for it. YA is what I mostly read and write. But if the story speaks to me, I’ll happily veer off for grown up stuff, but only temporarily.

What is it about the paranormal, in particular vampires, witches and werewolves, that fascinates you so much?

What’s not to love? They live longer and they can do things we can’t, but they’re haunted with problems just like us. It allows for more creativity from the author and more fun for the reader. As an author, I love making up all the rules. This is MY world, baby!

What inspired you to write this book?

Vampires, werewolves and witches, of course!  Cinderella has always been my favorite fairy tale and I’ve loved all the different retellings. So, naturally, I gravitated to doing one of my own retellings.

Please tell us about your latest release.

A Bite’s Tale is about “Cinderella” who spends her nights as a wolf. She’s just grateful for each day that passes without her hurting anyone else — she can't even think about what might've happened to her summer love who got the sharp end of her alter-ego's claws when her human self went through "the change." Exposing her inner wolf to a crowded ballroom is not in her plans, but the prince insists that all eligible young women attend. Ditching it is not an option. The prince just wants to find the girl he loved and lost — the werewolf girl who bit him — before his father, the king, forces him to choose a wife at the ball.

Do you have a special formula for creating characters' names? Do you try to match a name with a certain meaning to attributes of the character or do you search for names popular in certain time periods or regions?

By now, I’ve completed 6 full length novels and 3 novellas. Each one has the main characters, plus a variety of supporting characters — and they all need names. In the beginning, names were extremely important to me. I still take time to come up with just the right name for my hero/heroine, but for the supporting cast, not so much. Now, I might go up to my employee and say, “Give me the first thing that comes into your head: Girl’s name that begins with H.” And whatever she gives me is what I go with.  

I’ve even been known to ask this of my hubby!

Was one of your characters more challenging to write than another?

I found Hayden of Something Witchy This Way Comes most challenging. The reason we like bad boys is because they’re exciting. But they’re also, well, bad! The trick is to make them sympathetic, which is hard to do when they’re doing bad things. So you really have to show their emotional growth and you must make them believable. But if you do it right, the reader will swoon properly J

Is there a character that you enjoyed writing more than any of the others?

I think Zack from My Wolf’s Bane (summer 2012), because he’s the only werewolf in a family who doesn’t know that werewolves exist. He’s basically on his own in that respect, so he’s had to grow up fast. Also, because he’s a werewolf, he’s physically mature for his age. While he prepares for a future on the run, he works a part time job and studies hard to graduate high school. All that while he cares for his mother who is terminally ill. Basically, he’s this big hunky guy who works hard and loves his mom. Can’t go wrong with that.

Do you have a formula for developing characters? Do you create a character sketch or list of attributes before you start writing or do you just let the character develop as you write?

Both. I definitely have a character sketch going in. But I always get hijacked at some point (yes, they are real people and they eventually take over without my consent) and then I have to make adjustments.

What is your favorite scene from the book? Could you share a little bit of it, without spoilers of course?

My favorite scenes are always the kissing scenes. What can I say? I’m a romantic. But if I can’t pick a kissing scene… In A Bite’s Tale, I like when she’s getting ready for the ball. I’m sappy that way.

Did you find anything really interesting while researching this or another book?

Thrown to the Wolves (winter 2012), the prequel for My Wolf’s Bane, is set in the 14th century. Eli is a sword smith, so I researched how to make a 14th century sword. Back then, they used borax to fuse the metals together, then they heated it up and pounded it into shape. Borax! Who knew?

What is the most interesting thing you have physically done for book related research purposes?

Haha! I had to bite my hubby’s neck while he was trying to bite mine. It’s not physically possible, by the way, but it’s fun trying!

Can you tell readers a little bit about the world building in the book/series? How does this world differ from our normal world?

The real world doesn’t have witches, vamps and shape shifters, obviously. Also, A Bite’s Tale is set on a fictitious island, Isle de Paix (In English, it’s Island of Peace, because it’s like Switzerland for monsters). Although after it was published, I discovered there is a real place in Canada called Iles de Paix (slightly different spelling), which is a wildlife preserve in Canada. Hmph! And I thought I was being clever.

With the book being part of a series, are there any character or story arcs, that readers jumping in somewhere other than the first book, need to be aware of? Can these books be read as stand alones?

A Bite’s Tale is a stand-alone. But there will be others in the Furry Fable series, all retellings of popular fairy tales — with witches, shifters and vamps. Each story will be independent of the others. But that’s up the road.

Do any of your characters have similar characteristics of yourself in them and what are they?

Oh, geez, I have such a difficult time keeping myself out of my characters. For instance, all my heroines are a little bit sassy. They’re all witty and none of them take crap from men. I’m not sure if I’m capable of writing a meek girl with low self-esteem.

Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? How do you deal with it?

I rarely get writer’s block. On the rare occasion that it happens, it’s because the story line just isn’t working. If I can’t work it out pretty fast, I start that part from scratch. But I don’t usually have to resort to that, because if I’m really deep in my hero or heroine’s head, they’ll tell me what needs to happen next.

Do you have any weird writing quirks or rituals?


Does staying up way too late count? Other than that, no.

Do you write in different genres?

Everything I write is sweet romance — mostly urban fantasy YA. But Blind Date, Checkmate is a contemporary grownup novella and From Fame to Shame (will be released for free at the end of March) is contemporary YA.

Do you find it difficult to write in multiple genres?

Not at all. I like the variety. Other genres also give an author an opportunity to pick up readers they may not have acquired otherwise.

When did you consider yourself a writer?

About 4 and a half years ago when I sat down to write my first novel.

What are your guilty pleasures in life?

Scrabble on FaceBook. Dr. Pepper. Oh, yes!

Other than writing, what are some of your interests, hobbies or passions in life?

The Vampire Diaries, the TV series. Team Damon!! I’m such a junkie for The Vampire Diaries, it’s sad. You know how they say guys think about sex every few seconds? That’s how I am with TVD. Pathetic, but true!

What was the last amazing book you read?

Susan Bischoff has a series called The Talent Chronicles. I read a short freebie a few weeks ago, Impulse Control and still think about it almost daily. Totally sweet, yummy YA love story.

Where is your favorite place to read? Do you have a cozy corner or special reading spot?

I don’t get as much time to read as I’d like. I have a Kindle Fire that I take everywhere with me, so I always have something to do waiting in line at the bank, the grocery store or whatever. I’d love to read at night, but usually by the time I turn out the lights, I’ve already been nodding off for at least an hour and I conk before I finish one page.

What can readers expect next from you?

From Fame to Shame, a contemporary YA novella, which will be released for free at the end of March 2012.

When good-girl Maddie switches places with her famous bad-girl twin Jackie, she has some pretty high stilettos to fill.


Despite the danger of tabloid drama if their identity swap is discovered, Maddie has to save her sister's butt.  When Jackie’s ex-boyfriend shows up with a rekindled spark for “Jackie,” his deep gray eyes and sweet kisses make Maddie's heart thumpety thump. But dating the guy who dumped her sister is a no-no. Too bad Dallas isn’t used to girls saying no. What will happen when he discovers Maddie’s deception?

Where can readers find you on the web?

www.VeronicaBlade.com or @VeronicaBlade at Twitter. I’m also easy to find on FaceBook and Goodreads (I usually have some sort of giveaway going on Goodreads). I love hearing from readers!

Would you like to leave readers with a little teaser or excerpt from the book?

Yes and thank you so much for having me! J  Here is an excerpt from A Bite’s Tale: A Furry Fable
If I’d known it could be like this and that she’d wanted it too, I would’ve kissed her ages ago. I mentally kicked myself for wasting all those weeks when we could’ve been doing this the entire time.

Her hand crept up under my shirt and her fingers trailed along my back. Goosebumps danced on my skin. She pressed closer against me and I took the kiss deeper, letting loose my weeks of pent up craving for her.
I didn’t think life could get any more perfect than being with Cindy. And I no longer yearned for a normal life. I wanted things to stay exactly as they were at that moment. With my Cinderella.

Forever.

A soft moan erupted from my throat when she angled her face to take the kiss still deeper. I slid my arms around her waist and the tips of my fingers inched up underneath her tank top.

She shivered.

But it wasn’t a usual shiver. Her whole body began to tremble and I nearly lost my hold on her. I pulled back. Cindy’s eyes grew huge and her pupils dilated.

She threw her head back, her limbs vibrating as she growled. No, not a growl. It was more like a dull roar, full of pain and anguish. Was she… was my Cindy about to turn into a werewolf? Or was it something else? Maybe if I held her again, whatever was happening to her might stop. I lunged for her.

“Get away from me!” Sobbing, she shoved me back, but in the process, one of her claws raked across my chest.

I flinched, as blood beaded on my skin. A little scratch wasn’t going to stop me though. Not when Cindy needed my help. I stepped forward again.

Her lips curled up, exposing long, growing teeth and she shrieked. Yeah, she’d hit werewolf maturity all right. But she hadn’t completely morphed. Just her teeth and nails. Maybe if I calmed her, she could prevent it from progressing. I wrapped my arms around her waist, as I’d done just moments ago, and pulled her close.

She shrieked again, then searing pain shot through my arm.

Werewolf bite. Oh, crap. My dad was going to kill me… unless the werewolf virus beat him to it.

The forest spun around me and I couldn’t keep my eyelids up. My muscles went lax and when the ground rose to slam against me, I didn’t feel a thing.





March 5 review
Smitten with Reading –

March 7 Interview
Fang-tastic Books

March 8 Interview
This is From My Heart

March 11 Promo and review 
The Daydreamer's Book Obsession

March 15 Promo (review later)
Ce-Ce`s Garden of Reviews

March 15 Promo
Rabid Reads -

March 16 Promo
I Just Wanna Sit Here and Read!

March 22 review and interview
Paranormal Indulgence

March 24 Promo
Roxanne’s Realm

March 26
My Bookish Fairy Tale

March 31 Interview
Romancing the Book

April 2 review (both books) and promo/excerpt
Chapter by Chapter

April 3 Promo and Interview
JeanzBookReadNReview

April 4 Promo and review
Words of Wisdom from The Scarf Princess

April 5 Interview
This Author's Life

April 5 Promo and reviews 

April 6 Interview
BookSpark: 

April 11 Promo
Grave Tells


April 12 Interview
***Singing and Reading in the Rain***

April 13 review
Forget About TV, Grab a Book

April 14 Guest blog 
Read2Review

April 19 Interview and review
Books Are Magic

April 21 review
B'Tween Prose

April 23 Interview and reviews 
Beverly @ The Wormhole

April 26 Interview and review
Read it.. Blog it..

April 28 promo and reviews
Fiction Fascination

April 30 Review

A Bite’s Tale: A Furry Fable

By Veronica Blade

A sweet romantic tale with a Cinderella spin featuring vampires, witches and werewolves

Blurb:

A Cinderella who spends her nights as a wolf. A prince with a taste for blood.

Seventeen year old Cydney struggles against her werewolf nature, trying to keep everyone around her safe. No way will she risk exposing the beast at the prince’s ball, no matter how her two cousins try to persuade her. Even as she attempts to get on with her life, Cydney can’t forget the boy she loved three summers ago — or what she did to him after losing control.

Turned into a vampire to save his life, the prince refuses to live up to his royal duties. He just wants to find the girl he loved and lost...the werewolf girl who bit him. But his father, the king, commands him to attend a ball where he must choose a wife. Can he find his Cinderella before he's forced to marry another? He doesn’t even have her real name, much less a glass slipper.


Amazon

About the Author:

Veronica Blade lives in Southern California with her husband and whichever of their kids — or someone else’s kid — decides to drop in. By day she runs the family business, but each night she slips away to spin her tales. She writes stories about young adults to relive her own childhood and to live vicariously through her characters. Except her heroes and heroines lead far more interesting lives — and they are always way hotter.

You can visit Veronica Blade on FaceBook, check out her website at www.VeronicaBlade.com or follow her on Twitter @VeronicaBlade. She loves hearing from readers!

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000174247353
Twitter: @VeronicaBlade
Website: VeronicaBlade.com

No comments:

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.