Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Women of the Dark Streets Character Interview

Hello, and thanks for visiting Fang-Tastic Books. I'm Jess Faraday, and I have a new story in Women of the Dark Streets, an anthology of lesbian paranormal fiction from Bold Strokes Books. Here with me is the star of the story, Amelia Archer, Private Detective.

AA: Actually, I prefer Mel.

JF: Ok, Mel--

AA: Of course no one ever calls me that. Amy is as good as it gets.

JF: Welcome, Amy. I'm glad you could take time out of your busy day to chat with us. Speaking of busy days, how do you usually spend yours?

AA: Solving the cases nobody else is dizzy enough to take. Lizard people, ticked-off Navajo gods, lost puppies, that sort of thing. When you're the only gal flatfoot in Los Angeles, and Philip Marlowe is snatching all the best cases from under your nose, you've gotta take what you can get.

JF: Lost puppies?

AA: What can I say? I'm a sucker for kids and animals. Besides, that stolen Pekingese turned out to be the case of the century. How was I supposed to know the little beast had a secret life in the tunnels under L.A.? And that the Lizard People sneaking it scraps under the table had infiltrated both the mob and the mayor's office? But I digress.

JF: Is that what the story is about in Women of the Dark Streets? Lizard People?

AA: No. The Trickster Codex is about the time I tangled with Coyote, the Feds and the U.S. Marines.

JF: Coyote? You mean--

AA: Yeah that Coyote. Navajo legend. Giver of fire and language. Legs up to here, and a body that would stop a train. Hubba.

JF: I thought Coyote was male.

AA: (laughs) I don't know much, but I do know dames. And Lorena Claw--that's what she called herself--was a dame from head to toe. Because of her, I took my lumps from the Feds, got shot by the Marines, and ruined my best suit. But I'd do it again if she batted those big brown eyes at me. No question.

JF: So you like women who are trouble.

AA: Someone like you calls it trouble. I call it excitement. I could say I wanted forever and the white picket fence, but why lie? Eventually, I rub everyone the wrong way. So what's it to me if my future ex-girlfriend comes with a side of gunfire and explosions? I'm not making a long-term investment. I'm probably not going to die in my sleep of old age, so why not have some fun along the way?

JF: Gunfire and explosions are fun?

AA: Well, maybe not when they're happening, but they do make for a better story. I mean, who reads something that starts off with 'and they lived happily ever after'?

JF: That's a good point.

AA: I'm full of 'em.

JF: (under her breath) You're full of something. So, how did you get into the business of supernatural investigations?

AA: I followed a fluffy little dog. Seriously, I don't go looking for the things that go bump in the night. They find me.

JF: And you can't redirect them to someone Marlowe?

AA: (laughs) I wish! Besides, Things that go Bump pay their bills. There's a war on, if you haven't noticed. I'm not talking about the Gerries, either. This town isn't big enough for two superstar private dicks. If I don't take the weird cases, half the time I end up having to choose between keeping myself in cigarettes and keeping the lights on.

JF: Maybe you should consider quitting.

AA: Like I said, I'm not in it for the long haul. I figure I've got ten, maybe fifteen years left on this rock before some lagoon creature or were-beast or some other damn thing-that-shouldn't-exist punches my ticket. I say, take your pleasure before Count Dracula takes it from you.

JF: Speaking of pleasure, what do you enjoy doing when you're not chasing monsters?

AA: (sighs, looks off into the distance) The simple things. A cheap cigarette. An expensive woman. A mid-priced whiskey. Preferably all at once. I'm easy to please.

JF: If you'd listened to your parents' advice, would your life be any different?

AA: Maybe. Probably. I don't know. Actually, I do. If I'd listened to my parents and become a secretary, I'd probably have ended up being Dr. Frankenstein's secretary. After a while you've just gotta accept that some things are meant to be. The Things that Go Bump ain't going nowhere, and neither am I.

JF: So, aside from between the covers of Women of the Dark Streets, where else can readers find you?

AA: In the dark corners and back alleys of wartime Los Angeles. And at And one of these days I'll spill it about the Lizard People. But first I've got to see a man about a vampire.

JF: Amy Archer, thank you for taking the time to stop by.

AA: Thank you, and don't be afraid of the dark.

May 2 Guest Blog
Fang-tastic Books

May 3 Interiew, reviews (kindle)
 Butterfly-o-Meter Books

May 4 Guest blog
Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer – 

 May 4 Promo/Excerpt
Roxanne’s Realm

May 5 Guest Blog
The Creatively Green Write at Home Mom

May 6 Guest Post and reviews
Words of Wisdom from The Scarf Princess

May 7 Promo
Books, books the magical fruit

May 9 Reviews and Promo
Books, Books, and More Books

May 9 Interview 

May 11 Interview

The Affair of the Porcelain Dog

Author: Jess Faraday

Pages: 240
Pub Date: June 2011
ISBN 10: 1-60282-230-1
ISBN 13: 978-1-60282-230-6


London 1889.

For Ira Adler, former rent-boy and present plaything of crime lord Cain Goddard, stealing back the statue from Goddard's blackmailer should have been a doddle. But inside the statue is evidence that could put Goddard away for a long time under the sodomy laws, and everyone's after it, including Ira's bitter ex, Dr. Timothy Lazarus. No sooner does Ira have the porcelain dog in his hot little hands, than he loses it to a nimble-fingered prostitute.

As Ira’s search for the dog drags him back to the mean East End streets where he grew up, he discovers secrets about his own past, and about Goddard's present business dealings, which make him question everything he thought he knew. An old friend turns up dead, and an old enemy proves himself a friend. Goddard is pressing Ira for a commitment, but every new discovery casts doubt on whether Ira can, in good conscience, remain with him.

In the end, Ira must choose between his hard-won life of luxury and standing against a grievous wrong.

The Affair of the Porcelain Dog has been short-listed for a Lambda Award in the category of "Gay Mystery."

Women of The Dark Streets

The Trickster Codex by Jess Faraday

Author: various authors
Edited by Radclyffe and Stacia Seaman
Pages: 336
Pub Date: March 2012
ISBN 13: 9781602826519
Genre: lesbian paranormal anthology


Enter a midnight world of the supernatural—a world of vampires, werewolves, witches, ghosts, and demons. A seductive world limited only by your imagination, full of dark fantasies, hidden desires, and sexy women who rule the night. Edited by award-winning editors Radclyffe and Stacia Seaman, Women of the Dark Streets presents all new tales of the paranormal from your favorite Bold Strokes authors.

About the Author:

Jess Faraday is the author of one novel, three book translations, a handful of short stories, and numerous nonfiction articles.

She is a graduate of the University of Arizona (B.A.) and UCLA (M.A.). Since then, she has earned her daily bread in a number of questionable ways, including translation, lexicography, copyediting, teaching high school Russian, and hawking shoes to the overprivileged offspring of Los Angeles-area B-listers.

She enjoys martial arts, the outdoors, strong coffee and a robust Pinot Noir.


BSB Author Page


Facebook: Jess Faraday

No comments: