Monday, August 27, 2012

Interview with Edward Lorn




Can you tell readers a little bit about yourself and what inspired to write in this particular genre?

I've always enjoyed horror. For as long as I can remember, I've loved monster movies and scary books. But before all that, my mother has stories that reveal my penchant for horror at a very young age. I'll tell you like she told me.

One cold morning, my mother was walking me to school. On the left side of the street was a mountain of dirt, probably twenty feet tall. Just beside it was a smaller mound, about two feet tall. To this day, I have no idea why those piles of dirt were there, nor why I was so fascinated by them. We were moving along, not paying each other much attention, when I stopped. Mom tugged at me, but I wouldn’t come. I just kept staring at those piles of dirt, hypnotized. Mom asked me what was wrong. She says the conversation went something like this:
I said, “There are bodies under there.”
Mom asked, “How do you know that?”
“Because I see them.”
“Well, I don’t.”
“That’s because you can’t see what I see.”
“Really? Think we should we call the police?”
Rather seriously, I responded, “Yeah. I think that would be a good idea.”

That was my first day of Kindergarten. I was five years old.


Please tell us about your latest release.

Here's the synopsis:

When war photographer Mark Simmons is sent to do a promo on Waverly Chasm, he assumes it’s a puff piece, a waste of his talents.

Widow Marsha Lake brings her son, Lyle, to help him heal after his father’s death.

Donald Adams, aka H.R. Chatmon, joins the tour to get away from a sticky situation.

Justine McCarthy consents to the hike to placate her boyfriend, Trevor.

For Jaleel Warner, the tour guide, walking the chasm is just part of his job.

Each of these people must face their darkest memories in order to discover and defeat the secret buried in Waverly Chasm.


Do you have a special formula for creating characters' names? Do you try to match a name with a certain meaning to attributes of the character or do you search for names popular in certain time periods or regions?

Nope. My characters come fully loaded. When I sit down to write a story, I find out the names about the same time a reader would. Never have I gone into a piece of fiction with names already planned. For me, these folks are already breathing entities with pasts and memories and emotions, just like my real family and friends. Every time I create a new tale, I'm meeting new people, and they are very real to me.

Was one of your characters more challenging to write than another?

I think my bad guy was the only challenge. My villain is a supernatural entity. Writing outside of the can-happen field always holds the threat of failure, even more so than fiction based in the real world. You have to create rules and abide by them. Monsters can be fun to write about, and I had a blast once I got into things, but there's that constant worry that someone will not suspend their belief long enough for you to tell your tale. I think I managed to succeed this time, but that doesn't lessen the fear going into the possibility that I may tackle the unreal again in another story.


Is there a character that you enjoyed writing more than any of the others?

The fun I had writing Donald Adams is illegal in some countries, I believe. Every time I popped inside his head, I felt like I was getting away with something, as if it shouldn't be that much fun. The character is a dwarf, and a wiseacre to boot. At three-foot-nine, he has the biggest ego of the group. But there's a reason for his anti-social behavior. You'll have to read the book to find out why that is, though.


What is your favorite scene from the book? Could you share a little bit of it, without spoilers of course?

There's a scene towards the end of Dastardly Bastard where the group is running from a monster. Though the novel is horror, this scene stands out for its comedic imagery. I know people take "monsters" with a grain of salt, so when I introduce it, I purposefully explain the creature in great detail. I enjoy the scene because I've fooled everyone so far with it. You read the scene in question expecting horror, but by the end, you're laughing. I've been asked why I did this, and the answer is simple. I'm a trickster at heart. I want to take what you expect and flip it on its head. There's plenty of other stuff to be frightened of in the story, but this scene isn't meant to be one of them.


Did you find anything really interesting while researching this or another book?

I found that I firmly believe that we are nothing more than what our memories have made of us. We choose whether or not to let our bad memories mold us into the people we end up being. I know from personal experience that I'm a mash-up of the bad memories my father gave me as a youth and the good ones my mother instilled in me. I've taken the bull by the horns and decided to use both to my advantage. Bad memories are my fuel; they're what drive me to succeed. The good ones are the vehicles that get me to my destinations. One means nothing without the other. Unless you're trying to start a fire, then by all means, pour your bad memories all over the place and watch yourself go up like a protesting Tibetan monk. It's your choice, really.


What is the most interesting thing you have physically done for book related research purposes?

Most recently, I tied myself up with zip-ties to see if I could get out of them. I did, but I broke three fingernails doing it. The purpose? I think you can figure that one out on your own.


Do any of your characters have similar characteristics of yourself in them and what are they?

You have full exclusivity here, as this is the first and last time I'm giving this away. I'm going to break down how some of the characters pertain to me as an individual.

Mark Simmons is a morbidly obese man. Though I am not five hundred pounds like Mark, I do tip the scales at four hundred. The counting he does to calm himself is how I get to sleep at night.

Donald Adams is an author. That one is easy. The second correlation is I'm a known smartass.

Justine and Trevor are an interracial couple. I'm white; my wife is black. Enough said.

That's all I'm giving you. There is more, but I'd be ruining part of the storyline if I rambled on about those. I would love it, though, if people who have read the book would comment about what other things might mirror my own life. Could be fun...

Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? How do you deal with it?

Sometimes, I wish I did. Even when I get stumped on a project, I end up opening another document and starting something else. Sometimes I come back to that other project, and other times, I don't. No matter what, I'm always writing. Thank Tom Cruise (my preferred deity of choice today), that I have a family that understands. My wife and daughter have imposed vacations upon me, but even then, a story continues to go through my head. Fellow authors have told me they would kill to write as much as I do. I say, “Forget murder. I'll give you some of my prolific leanings if you can find a way to transfer the stuff.”


Do you have any weird writing quirks or rituals?

I think writing, all by itself, is a ritualistic quirk. That is, if you do enough of it. But I also think that rituals breed formulaic prose. Here's what I mean: If you do the same thing forever and always, you can expect the same results much of the time. Now, if you're Janet Evanovich, that's not a bad thing. Stephanie Plum's annual numeric increase of novels with her as the main character has become a ritual of sorts. The spell is simple: One drop of possible circumstance, two drops of character, three acts that differ only slightly from the previous fifteen books, mix well, hit NY Bestseller's list. This is not the ramblings of a latent hater, as I enjoy the Stephanie Plum series and respect Janet Evanovich, but only an accepted opinion on how things are done. It's common knowledge that Evanovich has a strict writing schedule, as do all the big dogs. Open any book on writing style, and you will read about how any good writer does just that; they write. Most of us focus on a certain time of day and write for an allotted number of hours. Rinse. Repeat. I don't do this because it doesn't work for me. I'm not selling as many books as Janet, either, so take what I say as nothing more than my way of doing things now and not a map of my future. I know this much is true. If I write at night, my stories are dark. If I do it during the day, my stories have a lighter feel to them. I use time of day as toner. Is that weird or ritualistic? I don't know. You tell me.


When did you consider yourself a writer?

I still don't consider myself a writer. I see myself as a storyteller. Insert smile here. Meaning this: I would be perfectly happy telling my tales to groups of people without writing them down. I don't have to write to tell a story. I hope that makes sense.



What was the last amazing book you read?

Kin, by Kealan Patrick Burke. Hands down, that's the best horror novel I've read in the past five years. I love John Steinbeck, and Burke is like him, just far more brutal.


What can readers expect next from you?

I'm always trying to find something new. Bay's End is a coming of age story, Dastardly Bastard is a supernatural thriller, and next up I'm shooting for gritty suspense. After that, who knows? Given the chance, I might write a sci-fi tale one day. In the end, you can always expect to find some kind of real-world anchor with some violence thrown in. If that's your forte, hop aboard. I could use a few more willing passengers.



 August 27 Interview
Roxanne’s Realm

August 28 Interview
Fang-tastic Books

August 29 Promo
Mama Knows Books

August 30 Guest blog
Jess resides here

August 30 Promo
Mila Ramos
www.jademystique.blogspot.com

August 31 Promo
Captivated Reading

September 1 review
Waiting on Sunday to Drown

September 1 Promo
Literature lovers labrynith

September 2 Promo
http://magluvsya03.wordpress.com/

September 3 Guest Blog
Lisa’s World of Books

September 3 Interview
Comfort Books

September 15 Interview
Bewitching Book Tours Reader Magazine


September 30 review
Books, Books, and More Books

Dastardly Bastard
By Edward Lorn

Genre: Horror
Publisher: Red Adept Publishing

Date of Publication: May 2012
ISBN: ISBN-13: 9781477459867
ISBN-10: 1477459863
ASIN: B007ZXKCXA

Number of pages: 232
Word Count: 60,632

Amazon Kindle: Dastardly Bastard, by Edward LornDescription: ir?t=redaderev00-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B007ZXKCXA

Barnes & Noble Nook: Dastardly Bastard, by Edward Lorn

Smashwords eBook: Dastardly Bastard, by Edward Lorn

Book Description:

When war photographer Mark Simmons is sent to do a promo on Waverly Chasm, he assumes it’s a puff piece, a waste of his talents.

Widow Marsha Lake brings her son, Lyle, to help him heal after his father’s death.

Donald Adams, aka H.R. Chatmon, joins the tour to get away from a sticky situation.

Justine McCarthy consents to the hike to placate her boyfriend, Trevor.

For Jaleel Warner, the tour guide, walking the chasm is just part of his job.

Each of these people must face their darkest memories in order to discover and defeat the secret buried in Waverly Chasm.

Author Bio:

Edward Lorn is an American horror author presently residing somewhere in the southeast United States. He enjoys storytelling, reading, and writing biographies in the third person.



1 comment:

EdwardLorn said...

I had a good amount of fun with this one. Thanks for having me ;-)

E.

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.