Friday, August 3, 2012

Interview with Nichola Moffat


Can you tell readers a little bit about yourself and what inspired to write in this particular genre?

A bit about me… We’ll I’m twenty years old, I have been writing for six years now, I love to write as I feel I’m exploring my own imagination, I am a film fanatic… Huh, it’s harder than it sounds telling people about me! As for the genre I write in, I write what I love otherwise I doubt it would be any good.

What is it about the paranormal, in particular vampires, that fascinates you so much?

I live with my head in the clouds so I suppose it’s the lack of normality that I like. I’m definitely a dreamer. As for vampires, what’s not to like? The ‘average’ vampire in today’s culture is mysterious, smart and, more often than not, tall dark and handsome. And they’re immortal - let’s not forget that part.

What inspired you to write this book?

I just felt it was a story I really wanted to write, the characters had something to say. It’s not that I was inspired to write the book, the story was just there and yearning to be written.



Do you have a special formula for creating characters' names? Do you try to match a name with a certain meaning to attributes of the character or do you search for names popular in certain time periods or regions?

I’ll try a lot of names out before I assign one. For a long time most of my characters don’t have names in fact. I won’t look for a specific meaning, in most cases anyway, I just go with what feels right. I alway say I don’t choose the name, the character does.

Is there a character that you enjoyed writing more than any of the others?

I really liked writing about Ollie Conners and I really wish I’d allowed readers to know more about him. It was interesting creating an Angel of Death and I suppose I’d like to explore the concept more at some point.

Do you have a formula for developing characters? Like do you create a character sketch or list of attributes before you start writing or do you just let the character develop as you write?

It’s like with the names, I don’t decided, the characters and their personalities come to me partly formed and as I write I discover more about them in terms of personality and motivation.

What is your favorite scene from the book? Could you share a little bit of it, without spoilers of course?

Without spoilers? I’m not exactly great at that so I’ll just say I like the storm.

Can you tell readers a little bit about the world building in the book/series? How does this world differ from our normal world?

We’ll people can go back  in time for a start! I’d point out that there’s a world between life and death but who am I to claim there isn’t a one in reality too? Other than that, it’s a pretty average world.


Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? How do you deal with it?

I do sometimes, but then I just skip to writing a different chapter until I feel ready to complete the one I got stuck on.

Do you have any weird writing quirks or rituals?

I don’t write the book in order if that counts? I write key scenes first and then simply fill in the blanks.

Do you write in different genres?

I’ve only really dabbled in paranormal and fantasy so far but I’ve got ideas forming for a romance.

When did you consider yourself a writer?

When I had my first short story published though a competition. Having my work published made me suddenly feel like a professional.

What are your guilty pleasures in life?

I’m not really guilty about any of my pleasures! I do love chocolate and films though. Sorry for not being more exciting.

Other than writing, what are some of your interests, hobbies or passions in life?

I’m a film fanatic and as you can imagine I love to read.

What was the last amazing book you read?

The Hunger Games - I’ve read a lot of books since then but none with the same wow factor. I like a story that stays with you long after you’ve turned the last page, that’s the mark of a good read.

Where is your favorite place to read? Do you have a cozy corner or special reading spot?

I can read anywhere and still lose myself just as easily in the story. I read a lot in bed but I’m a very fidgety person and am always moving spots.

Where can readers find you on the web?

Well, our novel, The Days before, can be found on amazon (Kindle Version and Paper Back Versions) at this link:
Also on the following websites:

Would you like to leave readers with a little teaser or excerpt from the book?
Definitely yes

EXERCPT FROM THE DAYS BEFORE:

Emylya headed over to the empty table and began to clear the empty mugs and plates onto a tray. As always, the young boy had pulled his tomato out from his sandwich and left it on the side of the plate. The tray of dishes was balancing precariously on Emylya’s arm as she wiped down the tabletop and straightened up the condiments. On the floor was Mrs Harman’s purse.
“Oh, Katrina!” she called, holding up the purse by way of explanation.
“She’s always leaving something,” Katrina said with a roll of her eyes. She moved towards the windows and glanced up and down the road. Despite it being nearly half past six there was still a surprising amount of people out and about. “Oh, look! I can see her, she stood at the bus stop just over the street. Could you be a doll, Em?”
“Sure thing,” Emylya put the tray back down on the table and untied her apron before running out the door and into the street.
And then there was nothing.
“Emylya Sawyer, eighteen, female, sister, friend, sixth form drop out...” The man peered over his fact sheet and gazed up at Emylya, whose eyes were just beginning to flicker open. His face was covered in a thin layer of red stubble which matched his mop of rugged hair. “Glad to see you’re coming around,” he gave a slight hint of a smile before continuing. “Musician? Loved one? Maybe even a murderer.”
“You know nothing,” Emylya spat and wiped away the blood that ran freely from her cheek.
“Correction, I know much. Though, if denial is your thing, I suppose I could drop it down to just an accomplice to murder. And denial is your thing, isn’t it, Emylya?”
“Who are you?” She pulled herself up to lean on her elbows and peered around the room. She was sitting in a hospital bed, dressed in the usual bland gown. At her sides the machines lay dormant while beyond the swinging doors the hospital appeared dead. She watched them for a second, just willing a less observant doctor to waltz in.
The man grinned, as he did a flicker of knowing burned behind his emerald eyes. “Most would call me Grim, but for you I’ll go by Ollie. And anyway, if I were to go by Grim I’d be one of many. Oh, and I’m not your doctor.”…………



The Days Before
By Nichola Moffat and Lubowa M.Planet

Genre: Fantasy
ISBN: 978-1470153434
ASIN: B007K8DC32

Number of pages: 358
Word Count: 41,188


Book Description:

The days before is a novel of Fantasy and mystery.

In this novel, Ollie Connor is a man with many answers, but his very existence raises many more questions, just as Emylya is about to find out.

When Emylya has an accident which brings her close to losing her life she ends up in Ollie's world, a place between death and life. Back on Earth her body is in a deep coma which she may never wake from. Ollie can change that. He's an Angel of Death and one with an offer to make.

To get the offer means you’ve missed an opportunity, one that could have brought you untold happiness. Emylya can, if she chooses, go back to Earth for thirty days, and try to find her opportunity on the condition she forfeits her life entirely afterwards. Or she can lay back in her coma, and wait. It all comes down to how much she values her forever.

Enter Sam Fisher; he’s smart, handsome and about to burst into Emylya’s life in a riot of colour, taking her on a journey that will change both of their lives forever.

 Author Bio:

Nichola first started writing at the age of fourteen when she was entered into a local essay competition through school. Out of nearly three hundred entrants she came first, her prize being having her work published and receiving a laptop, and having caught the writing bug she has not stopped churning out words since.

By the age of seventeen she'd won another two competitions, had a short story published, won an award for her work and self-published two novels. Despite having a deep love for fiction she has also published  press releases, submitted several articles to a variety of websites and aided the company she previously worked for with business letters, press releases for both newspaper and radio and in-store posters.

Nichola Moffat was born in the United Kingdom where she currently lives at Cornhill on Tweed, Northumberland





1 comment:

Lubowa.M.Planet said...

My name is Lubowa.M.Planet, the co-author of the novel, The Days Before.

I would like to thank Roxanne, the owner of this blog for interviewing and hosting Nicholla`s interview on this blog.

I also thank the readers, fans and followers of this blog for being such royal fans and reading this interview.

It is a real pleasure to have your check out our novel. It means a lot to us.

Thank you all.
Lubowa.M,Planet

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.