Friday, October 12, 2012

Interview with Paul Rudd

Please tell us about your latest release.

The story is based on a surfacing prehistoric shark, called Carcharodon Megalodon. Discovered a few years prior by a billionaire and hidden away in a secret facility, the shark is transported to the Aquatic Research City (ARC for short), to be a trophy exhibit.
The story jumps between the team aboard the ARC and the intrepid team sent to capture it, after it escapes into the Pacific. No human or marine life is safe once the shark sets its sight on a new hunting ground.

It’s a highly charged, fast paced thrill ride with lots of twists and turns during the explosive finale.

Do you have a special formula for creating characters' names? Do you try to match a name with a certain meaning to attributes of the character or do you search for names popular in certain time periods or regions?

Creating names is great. I have so many written down and it’s the first avenue of call, after I get a story in my mind. It helps me develop a character, kind of like a blank canvas. I don’t think I’ve ever created a character without the name first.

What is your favorite scene from the book? Could you share a little bit of it, without spoilers of course?

I’m not sure I actually have just one. There are a few action sequences that I read now and think ‘wow, now that’s cool’. If I had to pick one though, I think it would be the Jet-ski scene with Tyler Baxter and Lauren Ramsey. I like the build-up of searching for the shark and then WHAM, something happens out of the blue and leads to a thrilling next few chapters. Unfortunately I can’t really say what happens without giving anything away. You’ll have to read the story to find out.

What is the most interesting thing you have physically done for book related research purposes?

Honestly, I am a little like Xander Cage from the movie XXX. Being a renowned adrenaline junkie, I would have to say diving into shark infested waters was a little bit crazy. It seemed appropriate at the time to get firsthand knowledge of being face to face with a Great White shark. Although, I have to say, the shark cages look a lot bigger on television. Then again, it could have been a regular sized cage and the shark was just one huge puppy? Maybe I found a Megalodon? Now that would be a massive scoop. Just a shame I dropped my camera…!!!

Unfortunately, the above is not entirely accurate. I say not entirely, what I mean is, the most physically demanding thing I’ve ever done for research purposes is walk around an aquarium. Maybe that will change in the future, who knows? One of my future projects involves massive robots, so maybe I’ll get to test out one of those bad boys.

Can you tell readers a little bit about the world building in the book/series? How does this world differ from our normal world?

The world I created is very much down to earth, in the here and now. In addition to the ARC, there is some high concept technology but I wanted to keep it as real to life as possible. I’ve got plans for a sequel and can probably keep going. Maybe, if the time calls for it, I can go into the future a little. Cyborg sharks anyone? Now that would be cool!

What are your guilty pleasures in life?

I’m happy to say graphic novels. The non-geeks will say they are comic books but they are unschooled in the ways of the GN. 

From Socom: Seal Team Seven to X-Men: Age of Apocalypse, Final Crisis to Alan Moore’s Watchmen. Dark Axis: Rise of the Overmen and FVZA are recent purchases and both were fantastic. I recommend them totally. 

What was the last amazing book you read?

I’d go with The Rookie by Scott Sigler and the Vs. Reality series by Blake Northcott. 

What can readers expect next from you?

I have two stories that will be going to the editor very soon. One is a cowboy horror story, the other an apocalyptic actioner set in London. I’ve also got a horror anthology with another Taylor Street author, Reggie Jones, which we are trying to put together. We are aiming for a Grindhouse vibe during some top secret incidents during World War I and II. We are going a little bit of the scale with it, which is cool. 

Where can readers find you on the web?
My blog:



I find it hard to get followers, so feel free to tag along.

Would you like to leave readers with a little teaser or excerpt from the book?

Amid the grim surface waters, a shoal of fish blocked Morgan's view. His first instinct was to ditch the extra lights and recording equipment, but the ever-darkening waters changed his mind. Twenty feet in front, the dim lights on Cole’s scuba gear disappeared completely. He switched on his second pair of external lights, and gaining a second wind, powered through as the rope secured around his waist dragged an extra camera ten feet behind him.

Upon arrival, Cole tapped his wrist, insinuating that Morgan had taken his time. Morgan replied with a raised 'screw you' middle finger. Focusing his eyes past Cole, he powered on his full beam hand-held light and was met by the tortured expression of a deceased Gray whale. From the near side of the bulk, hungry sharks burrowed within the decomposing carcass, their teeth ripping and tearing away small chunks of blubber. 

With both hands Cole held out an underwater camera and projected the live feed to the main video screen on the bridge of the Wakinyan. Both scuba masks comm. units clicked into life as Captain Dallas addressed the dive team.

“Morgan, Cole, we’ve got the images coming through crystal clear.”

“Looks like someone ordered a Gray whale off the menu,” replied Cole as he kept an eye on the unnervingly large pack of sharks. “I thought Gray whales were among the more expensive dishes in this part of town.”

Thanks for managing to get this far and if you decide to purchase SHARC, then I hope you enjoy it. It’s one hell of a ride. Peace.

October 8 Interview and review
Deb Sanders

October 9 Guest blog
Lisa’s World of Books

October 10 Interview
Paranormal Romantic Suspense

October 11 Interview
Happy Tails and Tales

October 12 Interview
Fang-tastic Books

October 13 Interview
Roxanne’s Realm

October 16  Promo
Sapphyria's Book Reviews

October 20 Promo
The Avid Reader

October 21 Interview
Laurie’s Non-Paranormal 

October 22 Guest blog
The Creatively Green Write at Home Mom

October 27 Promo and review
Mimmi's Musings

Paul Rudd

Genre: Romance, Adventure, Great Whites
Publisher: Taylor Street Books

ISBN: 1479209899 / 978-1479209897
Number of pages: 285
Word Count: 101,000

Cover Artist: Tim Roux

Book Description:

It's massive, it's intelligent, it's relentless and it's always looking for its next meal or its next challenge.

Maxwell Baxter is intent on fulfilling his greatest ambition yet, and he is an ambitious man. He wants to build the largest floating aquarium in the world, an aquarium city, and fill it with all manner of monsters from the depths, the first being a presumed extinct Megalodon he has captured, a prehistoric monster shark currently only thirty-five feet long but destined to grow up to one hundred feet of raw, razor-toothed ravenous greed with extraordinary abilities to detect anything edible or threatening in the water for miles around.

In the midst of international financial negotiations to raise the rest of the money to complete his ARC, and with the Governor of California being entertained on his private yacht on his way to review the facility, the Megalodon escapes and begins to terrorize everything in the Pacific, ships and other sea creatures alike, no matter what their size.

Maxwell Baxter's future rests on a knife-edge, and the Megalodon has a gigantic mouthful of them, each five feet long and giving it the capability to bite a small whale in half with one snap of its jaws.

With a Megalodon about, if you are thinking of getting back into the water, don't flatter yourself – you'll barely be a snack.

About the Author:

Ask a multi-award winning thespian if they would prefer a star on Hollywood Boulevard’s Walk of Fame or have the chance to write about a prehistoric shark and they’d take the easy option every time. Me? Sharks are a passion, they always have been. Not to say I have actually met any face to face or relied on a shark cage to keep me out of harm’s way; cos that’s just dumb!

So say hello to the real Paul Rudd. I’m a geek, pure and simple and a far throw from celebrity. I write lots. I’ve watched movies since birth, which probably makes a lot of sense to those who know me well.

My brain is a minefield of ideas just waiting to detonate and making them available has always been a dream. Now, with thanks to Taylor Street, I have managed to take my first step into the unknown.

So now starts the latest saga of my life and a little like the original Lord of the Rings cartoon, the outcome remains up in the air. If only the late Ralph Bakshi was here to conclude it... alas for now I will carry on chasing my own Moby Dick; the great white tooth of a Megalodon, so if anyone has a spare?

This is Paul Rudd of the Nostromo signing off…….

Twitter: @sharcwriter


R.R.Jones said...

The interview seems a bit short?

kanchan tyagi said...

This type of books really very useful for students and for everybody, because by these books we can get the more and effective info about history and increase our knowledge. Really thankful to you for posting this blog. antiquarian books for sale