Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Interview with Emily Kimelman




With the book being part of a series, are there any character or story arcs, that readers jumping in somewhere other than the first book, need to be aware of? Can these books be read as stand alones?

While my books are numbered in chronological order I don’t think they have to be read that way. It’s something I worked on really hard actually. I feel it’s important for readers to pick up any book and be sucked into Sydney’s world without wondering what the f happened in the last one.  

When did you consider yourself a writer?

I considered myself a writer once I sat down and wrote every day. I felt that to finish my first book, to be ballsey enough to write fiction for a “living”, I needed to take it seriously from the start. I figured a writer is one who writes so if I wrote a set number of words each day then, dosh garnet, I was a writer. 

What are your guilty pleasures in life?

drugs, drink, and food.

Other than writing, what are some of your interests, hobbies or passions in life?

My husband and I are big travelers. He proposed to me in JFK long term parking (get it?). We promised each other that the trip we were about to embark on was just the beginning of many adventures. Right now we are in India for two months, when we return to the States we’ll be driving cross country with a friend who is moving to San Fransico, then we’ll put our boat back in the water and roam the Hudson River for a couple of months.
I also love to cook. Especially pasta, bolognese is my specialty. I’m not great with complicated recipes but if it calls for standing over a big pot and stirring then I’m your woman.


Where is your favorite place to read? Do you have a cozy corner or special reading spot?

I love reading on the foredeck of my trawler, OUR WAY, where Sean and I live in the summers. I can lean against the front windows, stretching my legs out straight. Kinsey, my dog, usually comes and cuddles up. There is almost always a breeze and I have a big hat to block the sun from my face. Whenever a boat pulls into the marina I look up and wave then dive back into the world of make believe.

Did you find anything really interesting while researching this or another book?

Yes! Check out this video about Baboons kidnapping feral puppies and raising them as pets. Amazing!

What can readers expect next from you?

I’m working on another Sydney Rye mystery right now. Parts of it take place in India (where I’m living for the next two months while I write the first draft) and Dan is one of the starring characters. Sydney is going to have to face not only corruption and injustice but also her own intimacy issues thanks to Dan’s persistent hotness.

Where can readers find you on the web?

I’m on Twitter (@ejkimelman), Facebook, Instagram, and my website where I blog about my travels and the Sydney Rye series.

Do you have a formula for developing characters? Like do you create a character sketch or list of attributes before you start writing or do you just let the character develop as you write?

I will often interview my characters in free write form. The scene in DEATH AND THE DARK where Sydney’s trainer, Merl, explains how he ended up as a dog expert came from one of those free writes. It was about a thousand times longer and less coherent but Merl’s story grew from me setting a timer and refusing to remove my fingers from the keyboard until it rang.

Do you have any weird writing quirks or rituals?

One of the things I strive for is to be able to work anywhere. I’ve been whittling down on my “must haves.” Basically, all I need now is either a computer or paper and pen/pencil. In a pinch I can even use my phone. Because I’m always on the move I can’t be too picky about my environment for writing. Often, I luck out like now when I’m sitting on a friend’s Veranda in Goa, India with my feet in the sun. But I’ve also been squished between giants in economy class and managed to pen a couple thousand words.



January 14 Spotlight
Michelle  @ Mom With A Kindle

January 15 Guest blog
Lisa’s World of Books

January 16 Interview
Fang-tastic Books

January 17 Guest blog
The Avid Reader

January 18 Guest blog
happy tails and tales

January 19 Interview
Roxanne’s Realm

January 22 Promo
Sapphyria's Steamy Book Reviews

January 23 Guest blog
The Creatively Green Write at Home Mom

January 24 Spotlight
Books & Beauty 

January 28 Promo

January 30 Promo
A Writer's World 

January 31 Promo
FanGirl Hostess

February 1 Guest blog
Mama Knows Books

February 4 review
Bookworm Babblings – 

February 7 Interview
JeanzBookReadNReview            

February 8 Interview
Books & Tales

February 9 Interview
Bex 'n' Books 

February 11 Interview
Immortality and Beyond 





INSATIABLE
A Sydney Rye Novel Book Three
Emily Kimelman

Dark Murder Mystery

ISBN: 1470136023
ISBN-13: 978-1470136024

Number of pages: about 320
Word Count:  75,000

Cover Artist: Autumn Whitehurst

Book Description:

INSATIABLE is the third novel in my Sydney Rye Series of dark murder mysteries. This series feature a strong female protagonist and her canine best friend. It is recommended for the 18+ who enjoy some violence, don't mind dirty language, and are up for a dash of sex. Not to mention an awesome, rollicking good mystery!

INSATIABLE begins with private detective Sydney Rye living a simple, disciplined life in London, but when a dangerous man from her past calls, Rye finds she cannot turn him away. Robert Maxim explains that the daughter of a powerful friend has gone missing and he wants Rye to find her. In exchange he offers her something she had given up hope of ever having; freedom from her past.

With her dog, Blue, at her side, Rye meets up with her new partner, a handsome man she's not sure she can trust. Heading for Mexico City, they go undercover, posing as husband and wife. After meeting with the bereaved parents, Rye starts to sense that there is more going on than just a missing girl. But it isn't until they arrive in the Yucatan Peninsula, hot on the girl's trail in Paradise, that all hell breaks loose. Sydney has to reach out for help from old friends and deal with the consequences of her past, if she's going to find the girl and keep them all alive.

Author Bio:

Emily Kimelman lives on a boat in the Hudson Valley with her husband, Sean and their dog Kinsey (named after Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone). Kimelman has a passion for traveling and spends as much time as possible in the pursuit of adventure.

Her Sydney Rye series feature a strong female protagonist and her canine best friend. It is recommended for the 18+ who enjoy some violence, don't mind dirty language, and are up for a dash of sex. Not to mention an awesome, rollicking good mystery!




No comments:

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.