Friday, February 15, 2013

Interview: The Chosen Series by Christine James



Can you tell readers a little bit about yourself and what inspired to write in this particular genre?

~~ Sure, I'm a stay at home mom of two wonderful boys. I don't write for the money but because I love to create interesting characters and places.  I'm not sure what exactly it was that inspired me to write this genre.  I think mostly it was to see if I could do it, and do it well.  It's not my original genre to write in, so I'm still learning it as I go.

What inspired you to write this book?

~~I've always had a fascination with angels.  It was never supposed to be turned into a novel.  It was written out of pure boredom.

Please tell us about your latest release.

~~My latest release is the final tale in The Chosen Series.  It wraps up the emotional journey.

Do you have a special formula for creating characters' names? Do you try to match a name with a certain meaning to attributes of the character or do you search for names popular in certain time periods or regions?

~~I don't have a particular formula for this.  I try to create names that aren't commonly seen in books.  I try to give them names that fit their personality.  However, more times than not, about half way through the book, I change one or more character names.

Was one of your characters more challenging to write than another?

~~ Angie was the most difficult to write because she had so much going on.  It made my head hurt at some points.

Is there a character that you enjoyed writing more than any of the others?

~~I absolutely LOVED creating and giving life to Lucy (who comes along in Final Redemption)

What is your favorite scene from the book? Could you share a little bit of it, without spoilers of course?

~~My two favorite scenes both take place in Final Redemption.  One being a football scene between all the characters.  I love this one because I find it amusing.

My second favorite scene comes at the end of Final Redemption.  It is emotional and in fact, I had to step away from it for a few days because I literally cried when I wrote it.

Can you tell readers a little bit about the world building in the book/series? How does this world differ from our normal world?

~~This has got to be one of the most difficult things I've ever done in my life.  Building a world that exists only in my imagination and putting it to the page is daunting.  There are so many aspects to consider.  Do I want to make it believable or just go all out and make it ridiculous? Honestly, my preference are paranormal books that feel like they could be very real. Sometimes they unavoidably blend together.  I'll see something/someone at the grocery store and think, hmmm that looks like something Lucy would wear.

 Putting together a series is even more daunting because the majority of the foundation has to be put together in the first book.  This can get boring to the reader if not done correctly.  As a writer it is extremely frustrating to do sometimes.

With the book being part of a series, are there any character or story arcs, that readers jumping in somewhere other than the first book, need to be aware of?

~~If the readers jump in with Risen then they should be fine.  There are new characters and I try to quickly cover some of the things from Fallen.

 Can these books be read as stand alones?

~~The only book that could possibly stand alone in this series is Fallen, but even that book, in my opinion, feels like there needs to be more.

Do any of your characters have similar characteristics of yourself in them and what are they?

~~I believe that an author puts a small piece of his/herself in every character they create.  I am no exception.  Each one of my characters have a bit of my personality in them; calm, angry, irrational, whiny, irritating, blunt, strong with leading skills, stupid, goofy and so many more.

Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? How do you deal with it?

~~I suffer from writer's block often. When that happens I turn to my best friend and she helps.  We call it 'literary constipation'.

Do you write in different genres?

~~Yes, I do.  I write crime/thrillers and historical romance.  In fact these are my favorite genres to write and what I originally started in.

Do you find it difficult to write in multiple genres?

~~At times yes, because I have to remind myself that when writing a crime/thriller book they are just humans.  Which sometimes can be scarier than any monster I can ever create.

When did you consider yourself a writer?

~~Though I've been writing for at least 20 years, I didn't consider myself a writer until Fallen was published.  I just considered myself a story teller.

What are your guilty pleasures in life?

~~Listening to boy bands from late 90's.  Backstreet Boys, N*Sync, etc

Other than writing, what are some of your interests, hobbies or passions in life?

~~I design and decorate cakes.  If I'm not writing I have to have an outlet somewhere.  I'm also an avid reader.

What was the last amazing book you read?
~~My current obsession is anything by Karina Halle

What can readers expect next from you?

~~I'm curretly working on my next project, UnderCity, and hopefully will be releasing it by the end of March or Mid April.  Then in the summer I will be releasing another crime/thriller.  Swelter

Where can readers find you on the web?


@christinejames2 on twitter



and I'm also on goodreads.com

I welcome any and all emails.  I love hearing from the readers

Would you like to leave readers with a little teaser or excerpt from the book?
Excerpt from Final Redemption

“K, boys, it’s shirts against skins. Lose ‘em,” Lucy said, pointing to the guys and ignoring Thad.

“I beg your pardon?” Thad said, aghast.

“Why do we have to be skins?” Josh complained.

Lucy looked at Erin and they both shrugged and grabbed the hems of their shirts, preparing to haul them over their heads.

“Whoa!” Sable said, covering his eyes immediately.

“Wait,” Josh, Angelo, and Thad said at the same time.

“Hell, yeah,” Blaze chimed in.

The girls stopped right before they fully exposed their chest. “What? You guys act like none of you have ever seen a pair of boobs in a bra before. Josh saw mine a few hours ago and I know, for a fact, that three of you have seen hers outside the bra.” Lucy looked pointedly at Thad, Blaze, and Angelo.

Erin’s head snapped in Josh’s direction. “JOSH!” she screeched, accidentally letting loose a snap of electricity.”

Josh sailed backwards and landed on his backside in a mud puddle.

“Ow! Damn it Erin, that hurt,” he said climbing to his feet and brushing the mud off his shorts.

“Well, my sex life is no one's business but my own” Erin said crossing her arms tightl

February 15 Guest blog
Fang-tastic Books

February 16 Interview
Curling Up With A Good Book  

February 17 Spotlight
Pure Textuality

February 18 Interview
Roxanne’s Realm

February 19 Interview
Jodie Pierce

February 19 Dream Cast and review
Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books

February 20 Guest blog and review

February 21 Spotlight
Musings of an Independent Artist 

February 21 Guest blog
Buffy's Ramblings

February 22 Spotlight
Books Books and More Books

February 22 Review 
Secret Southern Couture, 





Fallen

The Chosen Series Book One

Christine James



Genre: Paranormal Romance/Action



Book Description:

Angelo searched for the one to save them for centuries.  Never in his wildest dreams did he expect it to be a girl.  From the beginning, he was drawn to her, but how could such a slip of a girl be the one to save mankind.  He was supposed to train her and explain what she was, but how could he do his job and resist her at the same time? Could he put attractions aside and focus on his job and what he needed to do?

It was just supposed to be a fun night at their small town carnival, but a bizarre encounter with a mysterious fortune teller changed Erin's life forever.

Then there was the stranger, the man who she literally ran into. A beautiful stranger that wouldn't leave her thoughts and who suddenly haunted her dreams.  Something about him pulled her to him, like an anchor sinking to the bottom of the ocean.  Little did she know her life was about to change when he revealed to her that she wasn't exactly human, and that she was destined to fight the most powerful evil on earth. 

Erin's life collided with Angelo's, and now they are both in for a ride as they fight for the world, and fight their attraction for one another.
           
***This book contains violence, adult content, and mild language

Risen
The Chosen Series Book Two
Christine James

Genre: Paranormal Romance/Action


Book Description:

Blaze and Angie were happy, or so she thought. There was a restlessness growing inside her that not even she could explain. How could she trust his love when she wasn't able to trust herself?

They thought the battle was finished when they sent Satan back to hell, so how could they have known another threat, larger than Satan himself, was looming on the horizon? This time the stakes are higher and the game much more deadly. Something is coming and it will shatter everything they have ever known. Can they stop it before it has Risen?

Final Redemption
The Chosen Series Book Three
Christine James

Genre: Paranormal Romance/Action


Book Description:

With Lilith on the loose and their circle fractured, The Chosen are wandering around lost, broken, and confused. Their friendships are being tested as well as their trust in one another. They've lost one of their own, and now new questions keep surfacing as a bout of unusual occurrences take place. What they didn't expect was an evil worse than Lilith herself in the works. Come join the Nephilim on one last journey.


 About the Author:

I'm a born and raised small town girl. I love fishing, camping, big and loud trucks, but don't let my boots fool ya, I can slip out of my boots and into a pair of heels in no time flat! I love books and movies and it seems that there is never enough time to read or watch them all. I bake and decorate cakes (in my free time) pffft what's that right?

My husband is my world. He has been my cheerleader as I strive to achieve my writing goals; he's helped pick me up and dust me off when I get rejected; he laughs with me, and more times than not he laughs AT me, and he lends a shoulder for me to cry on. He's my rock but more importantly he is my best friend. We have two beautiful sons, Dillyn (8) and Traben (2). They are my angels and by becoming an author I want to show them that their dreams can come true. I have something that not many people can brag about. I have my parents (both amazing God Fearing people married 31 years) and my AMAZING in-laws (married 44 years) these two couples are part of my inspiration. I am also fortunate to call my three younger brothers my best friends. I have a few close friends that have helped me come so far. 

I value my relationships and treat them all like rare gems, because they are all special and unique in their own way. I love making people laugh, no matter what. Life is too short to be so serious all the time.

Writing has always been a dream of mine. It's been a comfort when I'm hurting and an outlet when I'm mad. It is my security blanket.





No comments:

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.