Monday, February 18, 2013

Interview: Spoilt by Joanne Ellis





Can you tell readers a little bit about yourself and what inspired to write in this particular genre? 

I’m a mother of two with my own small bookkeeping business. I write in romance because I have always liked reading the genre and love creating love stories and falling in love as the characters do.


Please tell us about your latest release. 

My latest release is the third in the series, Womanizer. It is about a photographer and model who meet on a shoot. Isabelle starts receiving letters from a stalker who tries to take her life. Memory loss, misunderstandings and obsession keep the couple apart until…. Now that would be giving it away! J



Is there a character that you enjoyed writing more than any of the others? 

Lucas, my first leading man, from Spoilt. I enjoyed writing about him so much I started a prequel to Spoilt (which is almost complete!) and is the story of his life until he meets Chelsea.

Do you have a formula for developing characters? Like do you create a character sketch or list of attributes before you start writing or do you just let the character develop as you write? 

I start off with a few details and characteristics of a character before I start but they then develop as the story does. I have a picture in my mind of the person and their personality and then as each situation occurs I think, how would, character, react to this.


Did you find anything really interesting while researching this or another book? 

Yes, the post mortem information for a body. Rigor mortis, body temperature and that type of thing.



With the book being part of a series, are there any character or story arcs, that readers jumping in somewhere other than the first book, need to be aware of? Can these books be read as stand alones? 

Each book can be read as a stand alone. Twisted Fire for example is about Charlotte, Chelsea’s sister and both Chelsea and Lucas can be found in this book and the subsequent books. Each story is a different stand alone one but because the characters from other books appear… this could give away the ending of the previous books but then again, romance wouldn’t be romance without a happily ever after.

Do any of your characters have similar characteristics of yourself in them and what are they? 

Charlotte is sassy, fun and compassionate so I like to think she is most like me. J

Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? How do you deal with it? 

I don’t suffer from writers block as such but I do only write when the mood takes me and when I’m in the zone. Sometimes I can go long periods of time before inspiration strikes, sometimes it is close together, but when it does strike, I tend to write a lot all at once.


Do you write in different genres? 

I write in romance for the most part but in a few different sub genres, suspense/crime, historical and paranormal. I also write erotic romance under a pen name.



Other than writing, what are some of your interests, hobbies or passions in life? 

I love to read, and read some more… My passion is music, it inspires me in many ways.

What was the last amazing book you read? 

Anna Karenina


What can readers expect next from you? 

The next two books in the series, The Rookie and Fly Boy.

Where can readers find you on the web?  

www.joanneellis.net

February 18 Interview
Fang-tastic Books

February 19 review
Secret Southern Couture, 

February 20 Guest blog
Mama Knows Books 

February 21 Interview
Roxanne’s Realm

February 22 Guest blog
The Creatively Green Write at Home Mom

February 25 Spotlight
Lavender & Camomile Press

February 26 Spotlight
Books & Beauty 

February 27 Guest blog
Wednesdays as part of the Intriguing Observations guest post series





Spoilt
Book One
Joanne Ellis

Passion turns to envy. Love to murder. One way or another, everyone is spoilt.

A sadistic killer is stalking the streets, carving his hatred into the bodies of beautiful, young women.

The murders are stirring up bad memories for Detective Lucas Hudson, as he struggles to remain focused - juggling the horrors of today with horrors from the past.

When Chelsea Summerville's best friend goes missing, she's unwillingly dragged into the race to stop the killer.

As Lucas and Chelsea find happiness together, Chelsea becomes the hunted rather than the hunter.

Can Lucas shake off his demons and save the woman he loves, or will everything he holds dear be spoilt?



About the Author

Joanne Ellis is a prolific Australian writer who won the Night Reading 'First Chapter of the Month' in May-June 2010 with 'Spoilt', which went on to become a US Kinde #1 and international best seller. Other novels written by Joanne include: 'Twisted Fire', 'Folk Law', 'Womaniser', 'The Rookie', 'Charlottesville', 'Control' and 'The Mystic Garden'.







1 comment:

Lily Byrne said...

Good book and good writer, I enjoyed the books in this series.

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.