Friday, February 8, 2013

The Night My Husband Killed Me by Kathleen Hewtson

Can you tell readers a little bit about yourself and what inspired to write in this particular genre?

There’s not much to say about me beyond the obvious facts of my unusual beauty and intellect and that I once thought I was a Silver Backed Gorilla for six years. As to why I picked this genre, heck I like rich people who go off the rails I mean I don’t like them but I like writing about them.

What is it about the paranormal, in particular vampires, that fascinates you so much?

Because I’ve never once met anyone myself included who doesn’t have a ghost story, everyone does, and I think we all want to know what happens, why are they around, will it happen to us, does being a ghost mean you’re in hell or is that just the way it rolls out for some people? If so why?

What inspired you to write this book?

I knew the whole Natalie Wood story stunk, no way did a girl terrified of dark water who couldn’t swim get into a little dinghy, and who beat her up first? From there I had to go onward and the other three ladies were always on my radar so it became a book.

Please tell us about your latest release.

Well this one is about Natalie Wood, Nicole Simpson, Sunny Von Bulow and Colette Macdonald four beautiful innocent victims the next one is about Casey Anthony and she is neither beautiful nor innocent to my mind at least and it will be called The Night My Mother Killed Me

Do you have a special formula for creating characters' names? Do you try to match a name with a certain meaning to attributes of the character or do you search for names popular in certain time periods or regions?

Names are rough, I like to stick close enough to the real names for them to feel familiar to me but maybe not close enough to get sued  When that doesn’t work out I just use a friend or relatives name.

Was one of your characters more challenging to write than another?

Yes, writing about the murder of children is excruciating that last scene took me three weeks to complete and it was only five pages long, in the upcoming book the opening which tells how the little girl was killed took me two months, for seven pages.

Is there a character that you enjoyed writing more than any of the others?

Yes my one totally fictional book I loved both Leeann and Jessie with a passion they became family members.

Do you have a formula for developing characters? Like do you create a character sketch or list of attributes before you start writing or do you just let the character develop as you write?

99 percent of what I write is based on actual events but as I learn their lives backwards I come to know them or think I do and then when they are alive again to me I let them tell their own stories, I’m often very surprised by what they have to say.

What is your favorite scene from the book? Could you share a little bit of it, without spoilers of course?

Well favorite may not be the right phrase but I spent six miserable hours floating in dark water in the Pacific in a nightgown and a down coat to capture Natalies death and I totally wanted to write it out!

Did you find anything really interesting while researching this or another book? 

Everything about this was interesting but it left me with the same unanswered question I had at the beginning. How do you do this, how do you kill someone? Particularly someone who loves and trusts you, what turns a human into a monster or were they monsters to begin with and how can any of us ever tell?

What is the most interesting thing you have physically done for book related research purposes?

It’s a tie, floating in the ocean all night, blowing up my jeep by accident and breaking into a dead heiresses house and getting stuck there, strange genre, strange research.

How does this world differ from our normal world?

The people I write about are either very rich or very famous or very beautiful or all of the above, that’s not the normal human experience they have everything they lose it and it’s a reverse fairy tale that’s not normal its Disney if Disney were filmed in hell.

With the book being part of a series, are there any character or story arcs, that readers jumping in somewhere other than the first book, need to be aware of? Can these books be read as stand alones?

Each of these books is a stand alone story, I hope the reader finds it that way.

Do any of your characters have similar characteristics of yourself in them and what are they?

No not at all, I’m about the most ordinary person alive and these women were never that.

Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? How do you deal with it?

It took me twelve years to write one paragraph once, I handle it by reading other people and over eating

Do you have any weird writing quirks or rituals?

Yes I am (obviously) a little over the top in my research lol and then my writing is just boring and regimented Monday thru Friday 8am till 5pm or 8am till 2am if I don’t get my daily five pages laid down.

Do you write in different genres?  

Kind of, I write in faction, true crime that is fictionalized and then straight up horror.

Do you find it difficult to write in multiple genres?

No because my two genres are pretty close.

When did you consider yourself a writer?

Its funny I still don’t, I’m just someone who writes not a real writer at least that’s how I feel, I never even tell people I write unless I’ve known them for a while it feels funny saying it.

What are your guilty pleasures in life? 

Chocolate, and really bad horror films

Other than writing, what are some of your interests, hobbies or passions in life? 

My husband, great books, family and friends, San Francisco

What was the last amazing book you read?  

Until The Twelfth of Never

Where is your favorite place to read? Do you have a cozy corner or special reading spot?  

I have a small couch in the corner of my kitchen that overlooks the bay, that and bed and bath too!

What can readers expect next from you? 

The Night My Mother Killed Me, a not so loosely based novel about the Casey Anthony Case

Where can readers find you on the web? 

Kathleen Hewtson Facebook or Taylor Street books

Would you like to leave readers with a little teaser or excerpt from the book? 

I’m a ghost by choice, I don’t know if that happens in every case. Seconds after he broke most of my bones and carried me back to our bedroom to finish bleeding, I saw the light that people talk about. I even saw my oldest little one standing inside it…smiling…waiting, not broken anymore. If I could have left I would have. I didn’t want to stay in this terrible little apartment── a place where even before he killed us we had never been happy. 

February 1 Interview
Roxanne’s Realm

February 2 Interview
Books & Other Spells. 

February 3 Guest blog
Bex 'n' Books

February 4 review
Reviewing Shelf

February 5 Guest blog
The Creatively Green Write at Home Mom

February 6 Spotlight and review
My Sexy Escapes 

February 7 Interview and review

February 8 Interview
Fang-tastis Books

February 11 Spotlight
Readaholic's Reviews/ 

February 13 Spotlight
Lisa’s World of Books

February 14 Guest blog
Mama Knows Books 

The Night My Husband Killed Me
Kathleen Hewtson

Genre: Fiction/Paranormal/True Crime

Publisher: Taylor Street Books Publication Date 07-11-2012

ISBN: 1478231688 

Number of pages: 328
Word Count: 90.000

Cover Artist: Tim Hewtson

Book Description:

A movie heart-throb
A sports superstar
An aristocrat
A brilliant surgeon

Killers all.

These are the stories of those they killed.

Their wives.

'The Night My Husband Killed Me', is the story of four women who were murdered by their husbands.

All of the women were beautiful, and were either famous at the time of their deaths, or became famous for being the victims of the charismatic, disturbed, men who ended their lives.

Being dead doesn’t end a woman’s feelings, or her anger. There is Natalie, the international and revered movie star who died the death she had most feared all of her life. There is the beautiful, life-loving Nicole, who might just have gone back to the stunning athlete she loved, if only he hadn’t killed her first. Then there is Sunny, heiress to one of America's greatest fortunes, sent into an irreversible coma for paying too much for all the wrong things. And finally, there is Colette, the high school sweetheart who married the golden boy and endured a marriage of increasing lies and disappointment, culminating in her death and that of her little girls shortly after Valentine’s Day.

These four amazing women’s lives were cut short, but each has a story to tell … and now they have.

 About the Author

Kathleen Hewtson lives and writes in San Francisco California, her writing focuses on actual cases which she then takes and makes into books about how it might have happened. This is her fifth novel.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments: