Friday, August 16, 2013

Interview with T.F. Walsh


Can you tell readers a little bit about yourself and what inspired to write in this particular genre?

I was born in Romania, and as a young child, my dad would often tell me dark Grimm-like stories before bed. These Romanian fairy tales were passed down from generation to generation and were very dark compared to modern stories we are familiar with. But the grim nature of the stories never occurred to me at the time, and made the moral or point of the story more serious. And now, those elements trickle into my writing. It’s a part of meJ

Do you have a special formula for creating characters' names? Do you try to match a name with a certain meaning to attributes of the character or do you search for names popular in certain time periods or regions?

Getting the right name of characters plays a bit part in any story. It reveals where they’re from, a bit about their family, and if they use nicknames, we’re given even more insight.
In Cloaked in Fur, my characters come from all over Europe, but I wanted them to have a wolf influenced name from those countries. So research played a huge part. 

For example:

Daciana’s name, the main character in my book, is a Romanian name that comes from Roman Dacia, the name for the region that is today known as Moldova. Some say Dacians were once known as the daoi, which means wolf.

Sandulf’s name, the pack leader, is a gothic name composed of Germanic elements meaning true wolf.

Is there a character that you enjoyed writing more than any of the others?

While I wrote my first draft of the novel, I grew completely infatuated with Enre, who is Daciana’s ex-lover. I guess when you spend so much time in a character’s head; it’s bound to influence youJ

Did you find anything really interesting while researching this or another book?

While researching animal attacks on humans, yeah, I know gruesome, I did discover that bears in the Carpathian Mountains actually wandered down into the town of Brasov, even during the day, to go through people’s garbage for food. I also learned that bears scratched tree trunks really high up to show any other bears in their territory how big were, so the encroaching bear better get out of there.

What is the most interesting thing you have physically done for book related research purposes?

I actually watched every movie and documentary on wolves I could get my hands on to study their behaviour and interaction amongst their pack. Visiting the zoo just wouldn’t cut it. I wanted to see these majestic creatures in the wild.

Do you write in different genres?

Yes. Aside from adult paranormal romance, I also write horror, fantasy and YA steampunk.

What are your guilty pleasures in life?

My biggest guilty pleasure is baking. When I need time away, I slip into the kitchen and bake a batch of snickerdoodles, or muffinsJ

What can readers expect next from you?

Right now, I’m working on book 2 of Cloaked in Fur. I’m also half way through a new young adult steampunk / fantasy novel, which is made up of three parts about six characters. It is set in a world filled with witches, steampunk monsters and magic, and at the heart of the story, there’s the struggle to find love.


Where can readers find you on the web?

Website http://tfwalsh.wordpress.com
Amazon www.amazon.com/author/tfwalsh

Would you like to leave readers with a little teaser or excerpt from the book?

I’d love to. Here’s a short snippet from the beginning of chapter 6.

I was blown away by Connell’s confession. He had lied to the police for me, risking his career and everything he’d worked for, based only on my word. And despite the overwhelming love I felt from his actions, my insides shattered like glass. I couldn’t tell him the real truth, ever. I was the world’s biggest hypocrite. “Are you sure that’s what you want to do? I don’t want to get you in trouble.”
“It’s done. Plus, I don’t want you to be interrogated as a criminal where I can’t protect you. This is why I need your honesty.”
We drove in silence for a while. He soon pulled into the police station parking lot and leaned close. I guided his golden strands out of his mocha eyes. His sweet rum scent coated me as he kissed me in an urgent kind of way. Perhaps we both felt the uneasiness of our situation. After all, I’d dragged him into my mess. I melted against him, staying there until he pulled back.




Cloaked in Fur
T.F. Walsh

Genre: Paranormal Suspense with strong romance elements

Publisher: Crimson Romance
Date of Publication: August 5, 2013

ISBN: 978-1-4405-7161-9
ASIN: B00DV0XJ4A

Number of pages: 216
Word Count: 73,000 approx.

Word Count: 73,000 approx.

Cover Artist: Stephanie Hannus

Book Description:

As a moonwulf, Daciana never expected to fall in love with a human. Hell, she never imagined that she’d abandon her pack, endanger everyone around her, and break the worst rule possible. But she did.

A rogue werewolf is killing Daciana’s friends, and she sets on capturing the creature.  She’ll do whatever it takes to stop the beast. The police and her boyfriend, Inspector Connell Lonescu, are starting to question her involvement in the murders, which is endangering the pack’s secret existence. But when the pack alpha kidnaps Connell, revealing the awful truth about the creature and its connection to the pack, Daciana must choose between saving the man she loves and saving her pack family from certain death.


Amazon     Amazon UK    BN    iTunes   Crimson Romance


About the Author:

T.F. Walsh emigrated from Romania to Australia at the age of eight and now lives in a regional city south of Sydney with her husband. Growing up hearing dark fairytales, she's always had a passion for reading and writing horror, paranormal romance, urban fantasy and young adult stories. She balances all the dark with light fluffy stuff like baking and traveling.











a Rafflecopter giveaway




August 5 Interview
Eclipse Reviews 

August 5 Spotlight
Kelly P's Blog 

August 6 Spotlight
Readaholic's Reviews, 

August 7 Guest blog
Rose & Beps Blog – 

August 7 Spotlight
Kristy Centeno

August 8 Spotlight
Queen of All She Reads

August 9 Interview and review
happy tails and tales

August 12 Spotlight
Sapphyria's Steamy Book Reviews

August 13 Interview (review)
Cabin Goddess 

August 14 Spotlight
Musings of Mistress of the Dark Path 

August 15 Guest blog
fuonlyknew

August 16 Interview
Fang-tastic Books

August 19 Guest blog
Urban Fantasy Investigations

August 19 Spotlight
Share My Destiny

August 20 Spotlight and review
Faerie Tale Books

August 21 Guest blog
Elfie Books

August 22 Guest blog
Roxanne’s Realm

August 22 review
Books, Bones & Buffy

August 23 Guest blog
Books Books and More Books 

August 26 Interview and review
Ebook Escapes 

August 27 Guest blog
Larissa and Friends' Bookish Life – 

August 28 Character Interview 
Author Karen Swart

August 29 Guest blog and review
Dalene’s Book Reviews

August 30 review
Brooke Blogs 

September 2 Guest blog 
Cloey's Book Reviews and Other Stuff

September 2 interview and review
Victoria's Gossip



3 comments:

T.F. Walsh said...

Thank you so much for having me on your blog today... Love it:)

Tina said...

I enjoyed hearing about your research and character naming. I always love getting inside someone else's head. Thanks for sharing. You did watch "The Grey" right?
Tina @ Life is Good

T.F. Walsh said...

Thanks for popping over, Tina..yep, I've seen The Grey.. . Really enjoyed it.

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.