Monday, September 16, 2013

The Adventures of a Paranormal Romance from Idea to eBook



I’ve been writing plays and stories since I could hold a pencil. Yet I have to admit the original concept for “Her Ghost Wears Kilts” came from a 1993 writing class given by Eva Shaw where we had to brainstorm an idea for a genre we didn’t read. Twenty years ago! The card I drew was mystery. Other than the Nancy Drew series when I was much younger, I hadn’t cracked open a mystery in forever.
Eva calls her method of brainstorming “bubbling.” My outline or bubbles started as more of a clash between two clans, the Baillies versus the Bruces, my ancestors. The protagonist would inherit a Scottish castle where all those before her had been killed. I truly enjoyed flushing out more of the story and gave it a working title of “The B & B Mystery.”
Over the next ten years I kept notes and scenes, but reality and writing non-fiction pushed the castle mystery further aside. I had three fiction works in progress during these years and pulled one or the other out now and again. Writing is my addiction, my passion, yet I put all other responsibilities ahead of it.
My day job is for a short-run book printer and to gain better experience to help my customers, I self published my debut romantic comedy “Changes in Attitude” with a fun and dynamic side character, Gillian Nation. Eventually it was Gillian himself who demanded inclusion in this musty old castle story idea. He was the nudge to finally write the book. Being gay, he couldn’t be the love interest, but loved to steal scenes every chance he got.
Gillian’s energy added more to the story, but the manuscript still sat in a virtual drawer on my computer. Until one day I heard about Abroad Writers Conferences and their next event would be during Thanksgiving week held at Hever Castle in England. This was my “aha” moment. I maxed out my credit cards and signed up, getting the chance to live and explore a castle and its grounds.
When I returned reality be damned, the pages flew from my imagination. The next four months were a blur of keyboarding or writing scenes, dialogue, new characters that presented themselves from thin air. I enjoyed every frustrating, blissful, sweat-baring moment.
Every good story has a final twist to it, right? I’d begun sending out query letters early in 2013, when I flew to southern California to be on the faculty of a writers’ conference. One of my fellow staff members was Eva Shaw, now good friend and mentor. She had published two books with Crimson Romance and nudged me to send a query letter off that very night. The serendipity of a story idea first created in a class given by Ms. Shaw concluded with the manuscript being accepted by Ms. Shaw’s own romance publisher.
Don’t you love a happy ending? 
September 16 Guest blog
Fang-tastic Books

September 17 Spotlight
Author Leah DW

September 19 Guest blog
Rose & Beps Blog -

September 24 Interview
Pembroke Sinclair.  

September 26 Spotlight
Literal Hotties Naughty Book Reviews

September 27 Spotlight
Eclipse Reviews

September 30 Spotlight
Lisa’s World of Books

October 1 Spotlight
Charmingly unscripted

October 2 Spotlight
Author Karen Swart

October 3 Interview
Dalene’s Book Reviews

October 4 Interview
Roxanne’s Realm

October 7 Guest blog
Musings and Ramblings  

October 8 Interview
BookwormBridgette's World

October 9 Spotlight and review
Ramblings of a Book Lunatic

October 10 Interview
The Creatively Green Write at Home Mom

October 11 Spotlight
Book Suburbia 

October 14 Guest blog
Victoria's Gossip

October 14 review
Mousehead & Tales




Her Ghost Wears Kilts
Kathleen Shaputis

Genre:  Paranormal Romance

Publisher:   Crimson Romance
Date of Publication:  August 26, 2013

ISBN: 978-14-4405-7215-9
ASIN:  B00ECGP8XM

Number of pages:  240 approximately
Word Count: 69,660


Book Description:

Drag queens, a ghost and murder, oh my. Love spirits through the modern day tale of inheritance and greed, crossing the vale between worlds.
Baillie thought life was content, successful in the Pacific Northwest until her bookshop became haunted. Inheriting a Scottish castle leads her on a wild adventure of Celtic chaos where she meets her gorgeous ghost. Finding her life in danger, Baillie calls the diva squad to the rescue: her friend Gillian Nation and his girls.

Will she choose her normal, safe existence or grab onto an unusual love that makes life magical?

About the Author: 

Kathleen Shaputis, author/ghostwriter, lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband, Bob, where curling up with icy Diet Coke, writing romantic comedies is her ultimate paradise.





  






3 comments:

T.F. Walsh said...

Great post... loved hearing how you worked with the story idea:) Congrats on your book... It's a fantastic story.

Kathleen Shaputis said...

Thanks, TF, it's been a crazy adventure.

Kathleen Shaputis said...

Roxanne, thank you so much for starting my tour! This is such a great blog!

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.