Sunday, October 19, 2014

Interview with GS Luckett

What is it about the paranormal, in particular vampires, that fascinates you so much?

I have always been interested in paranormal ever since I can remember.  I think it is the idea of the unknown and the possibility of getting answers for the unanswerable questions.  I have been fascinated with vampires because I remember reading Dracula in Middle School and realizing that Dracula was actually the hero in his own mind.  Driven to do his deeds by what he thought was a righteous cause and not just a mindless monster.  That's when I fell in love with the anti-hero.

What is your favorite scene from the book?  Could you share a little bit of it, without spoilers of course?

My favorite scene in, Gates, is when The Brit realizes that he is the hero, no matter how much he avoids it.  In Alpha Hunter, it is when Alexander decides to carry on the legacy of being a Neuri.  That is vague but I don't want to have any spoilers.  The twists are always my favorites.

With the book being part of a series, are there any character or story arcs, that readers jumping in somewhere other than the first book, need to be aware of?  Can these books be read as stand alones?

I believe both of my series openers are stand-alone reads.  Each of the stories have their own arc with a complete ending but there is always the next question that spins the character into a new journey. I plan that each part of the series can be its own story but for the full character arc of The Brit and Alexander you would want to read the entire series.

What can readers expect next from you?

In November, I plan to participate in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) with a new book, Mortem.  It will be a Dystopian/Zombie genre novel based on an infection caused by red rain.  A bit of a new spin on the genre, I believe.  I will have more coming out on my website as the story develops.

Do you write in different genres?

Yes, I right in different genres.  Right now, I write Dark Fantasy but I do have a Historical Fiction/Action coming out soon titled, To the Gallows, based on one of the first African-American U.S. Marshals.  Cole Winters finds out that his estranged Native American brother-in-law is wanted for murder and bank robbery in the territories. In order, to protect him from the hired guns hunting him down, Marshal Winters does the only thing he can.  He hunts down his brother-in-law himself.

Do you find it difficult to write in multiple genres?

I think the hero's journey will always exist in any genre.  That is what I always keep in mind as I write.  I think the genre just sets the world the characters live in and the rules of what can happen within that world.  

Do you have any weird writing quirks or rituals?

I don't know if it’s a quirk but I like to write the first draft of a story in a notebook and then I read it back into voice recognition software.  This way I hear it aloud as it is being put on the screen.  I feel it is a way of rethinking the story.


 Other than writing, what are some of your interests, hobbies or passions in life?

I love to spend time with my family.  We enjoy the outdoors here in the Pacific Northwest.  I also participate in martial arts and kettlebells.  If not that, I am researching and brainstorming new ideas.

When did you consider yourself a writer?

I started to feel like a writer when there was outside recognition.  That is, when I started to receive reviews from people outside my circle of friends and family.  While friends and family mean everything to me, I believe that they will not be unbiased about my work. 

Where can readers find you on the web?

I am on Twitter @GSLuckett, Facebook, and G.S. Luckett's Books.  I also have free previews of my books at Noisetrade.




Alpha Hunter 
Neurian Scriptures 
Book 1
GS Luckett

In Eighth Century Europe, the people fear vampires.

What do vampires fear?

Alexander Damascus is the last Neuri, a Spartan-like tribe bred to hunt and destroy the undead. With his partner Demitra, they track Queen Adrielle. She has organized the vampire clans into an army for expanding her empire.

Learning that Adrielle’s enforcer, Verucious, has acquired fragments of an ancient segmented map the Vatican dispatches its own hunters to reinforce Alexander against Verucious and his Dark Riders.

These Vatican mercenaries have their own checkered tales and grounds for hating Verucious and his kind. Their handler, Cicero, their only contact to the powers above, quietly conceals a piece of the arcane map.

Alexander, ever the lone wolf, becomes frustrated, held down by his new formed alliance. Believing them to be lambs for the slaughter, he soon realizes that Adrielle has far greater numbers than he had assumed and by enlisting the aid of Eden, a Neuri turned and Alexander’s ex-lover, have gained all but one part of the map. Cicero guards this to his death and its destruction.

The map lost. Adrielle sets her sights on her new prize, Alexander. He can strengthen her armies. Alexander’s kind was the seed of all vampire blood. The Neuri sworn to hunt those spawned from the civil war they waged.



Available at Amazon

Gates 
The Reaper 
Book 1
GS Luckett

Price: $0.99

Can a condemned soul become God’s weapon?

A death row inmate, known as The Brit, on an isolated island is able to escape from his execution during a freak thunderstorm.  Now, he finds himself fighting his way through the prison and protecting the very people who jailed him.  Pursued by prisoners and guards that will not die and a mysterious inmate from his nightmares, The Brit has to lead the others to escape in order to save their souls and possibly his own.




Available at Amazon


No comments:

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.