Monday, April 29, 2013

Interview with Mimi Jean Pamfiloff Author of Accidentally Evil


Can you tell readers a little bit about yourself and what inspired to write in this particular genre?

I’m not a huge fan of talking about myself only because I think I’m completely boring and unimportant in context to the stories. Seriously! Yawn. Just thinking about myself makes me want to take a nap. So I’ll simply say, I’m an everyday working mom who loves to write for fun.

What is it about the paranormal, in particular vampires, that fascinates you so much?

That’s easy. Paranormal Romance is like the Reece’s Peanut Buttercup of fiction. It takes two yummy ingredients and puts them together to make something even yummier.  Paranormal is fantastic because anything goes; your imagination is the only limit. And Romance, well, there’s nothing better than a good love story. So there you have it! Put those two together and it’s endless fun! I could write it forever.

As for the vampire component? Let’s just say that vampires are the primary staple in the world of immortal alpha male archetypes, and I never get tired of dark, brooding, indestructible heroes.

What inspired you to write this book?

Definitely my experiences living in Mexico.  Their pre-Hispanic culture is so fascinating, and when I finally decided to write something, I just knew it would involve something related. 

Please tell us about your latest release.

ACCIDENTALLY…EVIL? (a Novella) is my fourth installment of the Accidentally Yours Series.  I can’t give away too much, but I’ll tell you that this is the prequel to the series about the infamous God of Male Virility, Backlam Chaam, who is the series’ villain. 

ACCIDENTALLY…EVIL? finally gives us the answers as to why a god,  so dedicated to love, would turned into a dark, murderous bastard. VAMPIRES NEED NOT…APPLY? (BOOK 4 of the ACCIDENTALLY YOURS SERIES) is due to release in September.


Do you have a special formula for creating characters' names? Do you try to match a name with a certain meaning to attributes of the character or do you search for names popular in certain time periods or regions?

Most of my characters are inspired by Mayan gods or by historical figures who have certain attributes I’m looking for.  But sometimes, as the characters develop and grow, I find their names no longer fit who they are so I’ll change them.  Maggie O’Hare, our heroine in ACCIDENTALLY EVIL? started out with a completely different name and physical traits. I changed everything after I decided she felt more like a fiery redheaded with Irish blood.

Was one of your characters more challenging to write than another?

Hands down, the toughest character has been the one I’m writing now for BOOK 4, VAMPIRES NEED NOT APPLY?  Ixtab is the Goddess of Suicide. Imagine taking such a morbid deity and trying to mold her into someone the reader can relate to and love.

Is there a character that you enjoyed writing more than any of the others?

By far, it’s Cimil, our Goddess of the Underworld.  She’s completely insane and is the type of deity who gets to say anything and do anything without fear. The result is that I never know what will come out of her mouth, but I find myself laughing hysterically, crying as I write it.  I cannot wait to put Book 4 to bed and start writing her novella, which comes next in the series. 

Do you have a formula for developing characters? Like do you create a character sketch or list of attributes before you start writing or do you just let the character develop as you write?

I start with the basics, including what they look like, key personality traits, etc.  Then I think about who they are today and who they are ultimately destined to become. From there, I let them develop on their own. I love characters who are imperfect and maybe even slightly annoying or irritating, but along the way, as they grow, they become a character that makes us love them or feel some sort of emotion you don’t expect.     

 For example, my vampire, Niccolo DiConti, in ACCIDENTALLY IN LOVE WITH A VAMPIRE, is too egocentric for his own good and completely naïve when it comes to women or emotions. He’s like a child even though he’s hundreds of years old.  By the end of the story, he’s a humble man worthy of love.   

Did you find anything really interesting while researching this or another book? 

The Argentinean lake duck has one of the largest penises of the animal kingdom in proportion to its body.  (I was researching a joke for Cimil.)

Do you have any weird writing quirks or rituals?

Not really. I use a ton of Post-its when I write so I don’t forget certain pieces of the plot. My office can get pretty scary with the Post-its.


What can readers expect next from you?

Insanity?  Kidding.  Not counting ACCIDENTALLY EVIL, I have three more installments coming in the ACCIDENTALLY YOURS series.  After that, I have several more series coming. The only problem is trying to pick which one I will write next!


No comments:

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.