Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Guest Author Angie Fox

Today we have a special guest blogger, Angie Fox, author of The Accidental Demon Slayer and the upcoming release The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers


Here's a quick blurb for The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers

Accidental demon slayer Lizzie Brown and her grandma’s coven of biker witches have rolled into Sin City to take out a super-sexy succubus who has her eye on world domination – and worse, Lizzie’s man.


Welcome Angie, thank you for joining us today!


Thanks for having me on Fang-Tastic Books! I’m really excited to be here and to give away the very first copy of The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers, hot of the press.

This book was a blast to write, and I learned a valuable lesson too: be careful what you write…because it may just send you to some, ahem, unusual places. See, I write about a reluctant demon slayer forced to run off with a gang of geriatric biker witches. Add that to the fact that I tend to write what amuses me and you have a recipe for trouble.

When I was writing the end of my first book, The Accidental Demon Slayer, this joke about Las Vegas popped into my head and I thought, “why not?” Lizzie is just about to kiss her man when she’s interrupted and told she and the gang have to head to Las Vegas to save her long lost uncle from marrying a succubus. Kind of fun. At least it made me smile. I was an unpublished writer at the time.

But then the book sold. Better still, The Accidental Demon Slayer hit the New York Times bestseller list. My publisher wanted more. Heck, I wanted to write more. I remember being on the phone with my editor and she said, “so you’re going to Las Vegas, right?”

Oh yeah.

I admit it. I had these images of cool hotels and shows in my head. Then reality hit. I write about biker witches and a preschool teacher turned demon slayer. These folks don’t have a lot of spare cash lying around. This wasn’t my trip – it was theirs. Good thing I like odd adventures. And my friends do too.

One in particular – my friend Aileen – is a sucker for anything strange and unusual. So I talked her into a long weekend and we headed to Vegas to see and experience the biker witch version of Sin City. We stayed in the cheesiest hotels we could find. We ate at Bob’s Big Boy. We even visited a dude ranch with armadillos, a boar and several very old chickens.

We were able to talk our way into some behind-the-scenes places as well. The climax of The Accidental Demon Slayer takes place inside the Hoover Dam, and we were lucky enough to be invited to see first-hand what I’d be writing about. A guide took us far down into the inspection tunnels they used in the 1930’s and 40’s, when the cement was still curing. It was amazing to see the notes these inspectors made on the walls, to hear the stories of those that didn’t quite make it out and to walk the same old metal steps that they did. All of that made it into The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers, along with lots of things I had a blast making up (this is fiction after all).

And to celebrate the release of The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers next month, I’m going to give one away, fresh off the press. In fact, it won’t even come off the press until the week of April 1. In the mean time, you can read the first chapter here.

To enter to win a copy of The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers just leave a comment on this post. A winner will randomly be chosen.

Thanks for dropping by Angie!

The The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers can be pre-ordered at Amazon.com

33 comments:

Angie Fox said...

Thanks for having me! I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone. :)

Anonymous said...

My wife has been wanting a copy of The Accidental Demon Slayer, she checks it out every time we go to the store but never buys it. I bet she would love a copy of the new book The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers

Roxanne Rhoads said...

I am so glad you could join us today Angie.

donnas said...

Thanks for posting. I loved The Accidental Demon Slayer and cant wait for The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers to come out. I would love to win a copy.

Thanks!

bacchus76 at myself dot com

Angie Fox said...

LOL Rob - there are a couple of series that I do the same thing with.

And thanks, Donnas. The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers was a kick to research and write. I can't wait for it to come out!

Becky said...

I read the first chapter of "The Dangeroud Book for Demon Slayers" and it was really good. I can not wait for it to come out to finish reading it.
Congrats on having "The Accidental Demon Slayer" hit the New York Times bestseller list.

Wenona said...

I would love to receive a copy of your new book. I keep looking at The Accidental Demon Slayer when I walk by the book aisle at the grocery store but I never usually buy things for myself. It's on my to-read list.

Judy said...

I enjoyed reading about what went into the writing of this book. It really sounded like it was fun!! I enjoyed reading the first chapter. Sounds like you have another best seller on your hands.

Lisa said...

This books sounds really good and lots of fun. Looking forward to it's release.

Angie Fox said...

Thanks, Becky! Glad you enjoyed it.

Angie Fox said...

I'm the same way, Wenona. And then I'll send my husband to the store for something simple and he'll come back with those football preview magazines that cost more than a book. Grr!

Angie Fox said...

Thanks, Judy and Lisa. There is a lot of research that goes into a book and this series has taken me to some fun places.

I've learned valuable things too, like: when you go to a biker rally, try not to wear pink; there really are ghosts at the Hoover Dam (it's not just in my book); and Harley bikers love to stand around in the romance aisle of Barnes & Noble, just to get reactions (experienced that first hand after a few of the sources from my first book decided to make an appearance). :)

SharonJM said...

This series is going on my to buy list:) If I won the lotto, I would pay off mortgage and bills and take family including mom on a vacation to someplace that has pink sand, blue water and blue skys.

Olsonmiki said...

Hi, Angie!

I loved your first book and I'm looking forward to this one. (I'm a sucker for the puppy.)

Your research trip sounds like a book in itself! And very clever of you, to explore the cheesy side of Vegas.

I had no idea that Hoover Dam was haunted!

Angie Fox said...

Thanks, Sharon. And, yes, I need to write about a place with white sand beaches and blue skies. Then again, what would there be to blog about? LOL Although I have to admit, it wasn't much of a sacrifice to hit Jodi Maroni's sausage kingdom. Ya know, to explore dining options for Pirate (as he sneaks out of the room).

Angie Fox said...

Thanks, Miki! I think my editor likes Pirate more than she likes me. I asked her that once and she said, "well, since Pirate is fictional, it's a moot question." Wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

I had no idea the Hoover Dam was haunted, either. Then the engineer who took us down started talking about ghost sightings as we were walking down the creaky old iron steps. Then we reached the bottom and started down this round tunnel that was so narrow I could touch either side with my elbows bent. That's when he turned off the lights. Everybody's a comedian.

robinky42 said...

I would love to have a copy of the Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers. I loved the Accidental Demon Slayer. I really fell in love with the doggie.

Paranormal and Romantic Suspense Reviews said...

Welcome Angie!

I loved "The Accidental Demon Slayer" and I would love to win a copy of "The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers."

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

Kytaira said...

The book really sounds great! I had to laugh at some of your comments as well. I had a mental picture first of bikers in the romance aisle then of harleys rumbling up to a book signing!

Rob - if you win - you have to buy your wife The Accidental Demon Slayer. I'm sure it's in the fine print!

Angie Fox said...

Aw, thanks, Robynky. Pirate is a blast to write. He's in his own little world.

Angie Fox said...

Thanks, Razlover. That means a lot coming from a book blogger like yourself. :)

Angie Fox said...

There were bikers rumbling up to the booksignings, Kytaira. It was hilarious. I met a lot of Harley riders while researching the book and they started showing up at bookstores to surprise me.

Some of them even brought their dogs (of course the pooches had to stay outside). I met the Harley riding dogs while learning how to get Pirate (the dog in the book) on a bike. Turns out there are plenty of biker dogs. They even have their own club. Who knew? I didn't until I wrote The Accidental Demon Slayer. :) And they say fiction isn't educational.

Unknown said...

Whoo hoo Angie. I'm sure the second book will have everyone laughing out loud like you did with the first one. I'm looking forward to book two. See you in Orlando.

Unknown said...

If you want to read up on some more biker fiction Adelle Laudan is on the Night Owl Romance blog chatting about her book Iron Horse Rider - 1 and 2. 3/26/2009 - Hug a biker!

Visit The NOR Blog

Wendy said...

Hi, Angie! It sounds like you had a lot of fun writing the second book and I can't wait to read it! :)

Angie Fox said...

Good to see you here, Tammie. The RT reader con is going to be fun. And RT just gave a four star review to The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers, so yay. Called it "high octane mania." I think that's a compliment. The book does have sweet moments too. At least I tried to put them in there.

Angie Fox said...

Thanks, Wendy! Yeah, I can't believe I get to write about talking dogs and biker witches for a living. My mom (who was hoping for nurse or teacher) is still in shock.

Angie Fox said...

Thanks, Wendy! Yeah, I can't believe I get to write about talking dogs and biker witches for a living. My mom (who was hoping for nurse or teacher) is still in shock.

Anonymous said...

I know I have no trouble buying gifts for my family and friends but when it comes to me I just don't feel right buying something for myself, unless it is something I absolutely need

Anonymous said...

Hey Kytara I know if I win I'll have to get the other book.

I know you can't read the second book in a series without the first. This I have learned.

You know I was never a book person until I met my wife. She has books everywhere, Eventually I guess her book love rubbed off. Now I hate being without a book.

And shh...promise not to tell anyone...I read a lot of her books.The only thing that bothers me sometimes is the overkill of male descriptions..you know his ripped abs, muscled thighs...blah, blah, blah just get on the with story will ya? :-)

Other than that they are pretty good. I love the paranormal stuff...and the sex. Who knew you ladies were secretly reading such smut.:-) It's better than Penthouse Forum. ;-b

The bad thing- I bend and fold and do damage to books when I read them and she's a book purist. Now she buys me my own books sometimes. Going on 40 and I'm a big Harry Potter fan and I just read Twilight. I never would have thought a manly man like me (no metrosexual shit going on here)would be sharing books with my kids and my wife.

Angie Fox said...

That reminds me of a friend of mine in one of my paranormal readers groups. One of her favorite books went missing and she assumed she'd accidentally sold it to the used book store. A few days later, she was putting socks away in her husband's bureau and there was her book. He'd been reading it on the sly. They had a good laugh. He came out of the bureau, so to speak, and they've been enjoying books together ever since.

My husband isn't a big reader, which is kind of bad because we can't share books, but kind of good, because he still assumes what I read is intellectual. :)

Martha Eskuchen said...

Missed this last week as I've been off internet while RVing. Angie's books sound like they will be fun reads!

Roxanne Rhoads said...

Kytaira you are the winner please leave a comment with your email or contact me at eroticroxanne at yahoo.com so we can get your prize sent out to you.

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.