Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Friday Night Bites Release Celebration with Chloe Neill

To celebrate the release of Friday Night Bites, the second book in the Chicagoland Vampires series, author Chloe Neill is back at Fang-tastic Books and we are so thrilled she's here! Today she discusses creating an office fit for a vampire.
Thanks for joining us again, Chloe!

AN OFFICE FIT FOR A VAMPIRE

Every vampire writer and vampire reader deserves a fabulous place to do a little writing, or reading. I've had fun putting together my first office, and I thought I'd share some tips and tricks to make your reading/writing space a little more fang-friendly. :)

1. GIVE YOURSELF SPACE

Check out your house, room or apartment. Is there a space you could take over and make your own reading/writing niche? A closet you could convert? An awkward corner that you can turn into an rainy-day reading nook?

If you're looking for inspiration, check out design blogs or craft sites (or my own visual inspiration site, the sadly out of date Write What You See to where other creative types work their magic.

2. OFFICE BASICS

Once you've figured out how much space you have, think about what you need to fill it. Comfy chair? Desk for your laptop? Side Table? If you're looking for something fabulous to sit on, you can't beat Pottery Barn or Crate + Barrel for fabulous housewares.

But putting together a great reading/writing space doesn't require big spending. You can check out stores like TJ Maxx or Marshall's for discounts.

You can also go green, and recycle a piece that needs love. Check out your local thrift store, flea market or weekend garage sale for pieces that you can fix up.

When you're ready to make the redesigning plunge, checked out Design*Sponge for great Before & After ideas. Specifically, if you've got a grungy chair that you think is completely hopeless, check out this gorgeous transformation.

3. UP THE SPOOK FACTOR

October is a fabulous time to buy fun spooky- and Halloween-themed supplies, especially since Halloween decor has become increasingly glittered and sequined over the last few years. You can start with a vase of black roses from Target's glam-horror line or Z Gallerie which loves the black glitter.

You can goth-glam up your office, or start a collection of bats and fanged toys to fill out your office/reading nook.

4. PERSONALIZE YOUR SUPPLIES

Now that you have a fun place to work, find some fun things to work with.

PENCILS: Order a set of personalized pencils with your name, web site, or motto to create a your own Pencil Posy

NOTE PADS: You can order personalized Post-Its or personalized 3 x 5 cards to take notes or sketch out ideas.

LABELS: Use labels or favor boxes to create an organizational system for your office supplies or buy personalized bookplates to organize your library.

I hope you find these ideas inspiring, so that you can create your own special reading or writing space.

OK before I go here's a contest for you.

Up for grabs is a Cadogan House Gift Pack, a signed copy of Friday Night Bites and an enamel bangle bracelet that says "I Kissed a Vampire and I liked it!"

Just leave a comment on this post, be sure to include your email address. US shipping only.

So, thanks for dropping by Fang-Tastic Books today, and thanks to Fang-Tastic Books for hosting me!

That's all for me today.

Chloe

47 comments:

Wendy said...

Congrats on your new release, Chloe! I was wondering - Can I read Friday Night Bites before reading Some Girls Bite or would I be completely lost if I did that?

In any case, can't wait to read your books! :)

thebooklush at gmail dot com

Ellz said...

Chloe, I am a huge fan of your books. Congrats on your success!

zenfoxflowerATyahooDOTcom

writtenwyrdd said...

I finally got a dedicated office in my new house. It's half the attic (the other half is my bedroom) and I just go finished building all the storage shelves and my desk. It's got exactly what I want: enough bookshelves for nearly all my books, storage, and a desk with a return. My stuffed Chthulu is all the seasonal fun I've got displayed, however, as I have so much stuff for the desk!

writtenwyrdd AT earthlink. NET

Cyd said...

Thank You Chloe, I have never considered personalized supplies.

cydneyjules AT gmail . com

T. said...

Great ideas for personalizing your space. Reminds me that I really need to do that soon. Thanks for the tips. T. finalcutediting AT yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Congrats on the new release! Thanks for the great suggestions on getting organized and making a space your own.

rocket_kay at hotmail dot com

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

So can't wait to read it! But sadly my TBR pile grows and grows as my homework pile, test pile, paper pile grows and grows as well. Ugh...college. I will get to it eventually. The semester does end in December. :(

A Cadogan prize package would definitely make me feel happier! ;)

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Sorry, forgot to leave my email; Jessbess2505[at]yahoo[dot]com

Lexie said...

congrats Chloe!! And thanks for the advice (especially about a work space...)

Lexie
Lexie.Cenni(@)gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Chloe! Congrats on the release of FNB! I just finished it and loved it. Enjoy your well earned success!

Kristianna Svetich
roxygirl19912000@yahoo.com

Alicia0385 said...

I loved all the great ideas. Personalized post-it note well thats just great!!

aliciahall0605(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

ktshabatie said...

Great ideas!

Please enter me in the contest. :]

ktshabatie@gmail.com

Raonaid Luckwell said...

My little personal space in the one wall in the living room. Our place is small but it's personalized enough that the hubs built book shelves around my computer. I've decorated with bracelts that I won, book markers, two beaded necklaces my friend made me, photos of my boys.

Congrats on your new release hun!

Raonaid Luckwell said...

Oops forgot my email Raonaid (at) gmail (dot) com

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Awesome series!! I can't wait to read this one!

Luvnmy2boys0207 AT aol DOT com

Martha Ramirez said...

What an awesome post! And what a cool giveaway, the bracelet sounds very cool and of course we know your book is!!! I HOPE I win.

Hope you sell millions Chloe!

BTW love your t.

martzbookz at sbcglobal dot net

katsrus said...

Congrads! Great ideas. thank you for the contest.

katsrus@gmail.com

Cybercliper said...

Congrats on the new release. So looking forward to reading Friday Night Bites annhonATaolDOTcom

Van Pham said...

Happy Release Day Chloe!!

can't wait to read my copy of FNB :)


Van

Littopandaxpress(at)yahoo(dot)com

Estella said...

Congrats on your new release. It sounds great.

kissinoak AT verizon DOT net

Carmen R said...

Hey Chloe, Congrats on the new release. I can't wait to read Friday Night Bites. I'm going to be redoing my office soon so I can't put some of you suggestions to use. Thanks for taking the time to be here.


hdtermite (at) yahoo (dot) com

The Scarf Princess said...

Congrats on the new release! It sounds like a great series that I'd love to get my hands on!

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

Ashley L said...

Congrats on you new release! The month of October is a really special month for me and my family. My parents were married on Oct 25 and my oldest brother was born on Halloween. Crazy to think that for his first birthday he was dressed as a fat pumpkin.

I loved your ideas for decorating for Halloween. I'm going to have to try some!

read4loveATgmailDOTcom

Rex's Reading Robot said...

Awesome blog- can't wait to read your new book!

throuthehaze said...

I would love to read this! Count me in please
throuthehaze at gmail dot com

tetewa said...

I've been waiting for this one to come out as I've read the first and enjoyed it! tWarner419@aol.com

wanda f said...

loved some girls bite cant wait to read friday night bites .

Unknown said...

Thank you for the great post Chloe!
Don't enter me in the giveaway, I'm Canadian.
:)
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo

Wenona said...

Here's some info from Chloe Neill's newsletter that I just received thought I would share:

October 6, 2009


Hello, everyone! Happy FRIDAY NIGHT BITES release day! Hopefully, your local bookstores have the second Chicagoland Vampires novel stocked and ready to go.


Once you've read the book and you're ready to talk spoilers, you might consider heading over to the new Chicagoland Vampires Spoilers Yahoo Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chicagoland_vampires_spoiler/. Of course, until you're ready for spoilers, you're welcome to visit us over at the "unleaded" Chicagoland Vampires Group for general book discussions, paranormal recommendations, and more! http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chicagoland_vampires/


Also, if you haven't had a chance to enter the plethora of contests I have going this week, drop by my Events page for a current listing: http://chloeneill.com/events.htm. Prizes including a Cadogan House gift pack, signed copies of FRIDAY NIGHT BITES, and a $100 Amazon Gift Card!


Finally, as you may also know, I just finished writing TWICE BITTEN, the third book in the Chicagoland Vampires series. As I sent the file to the editor, I was thinking about my favorite line, and I thought I'd share it with you:


"Always remember," he whispered to me, "that you are an uncommon soldier,
whatever they say. And you are quite a thing to behold."




Best wishes, and thanks for your support!
Chloe

Jacki C. said...

I want an office fit for a vampire! And, I can't wait to read Friday Night Bites!!!

Karin said...

Great tips, Chloe!

Mocha Princess Aurora said...

I picked up my copy today but would love to have one to give to my Mom who i turned on to the story!!!!
a_mcbride22 at Hotmail dot com

Jane said...

Happy Release Day, Chloe. Looking forward to reading "Friday Night Bites."

janie1215 AT excite DOT com

Linda said...

Got my copy of FNB today, can't wait to read it! Getting & staying organized is a fond and most likely unrealistic dream of mine =)

linda_keeran AT hotmail DOT com

Lynn said...

Thank you Chloe for writing these books. I loved the first book and now I have the second book Yay!!! And Merit is badass.She makes me want to be a vampire! If you have not read this book then what are you waiting for? You really don’t know you are missing. It takes a lot for me to get into a book. It really has to capture me and the first book did. OMG!!!! CADOGAN HOUSE RULZ!!!!

Anyway email here it is
rckpa8 at aol dot com

donnas said...

Congrats on the release!!

Great post. I loved Some Girls Bite and cant wait to get the chance to read Friday Night Bites.

How long until the 3rd comes out?

bacchus76 at myself dot com

Amanda from Novel Addiction said...

A new author for me to check out, yay! The list just keeps getting longer, which is both daunting, but very exciting!

Please enter me in a contest, the prize pack is awesome!

Thank you!
ohmorningglow AT aol DOT com

Chris J. said...

Big Congrats on your new release Chloe!
This series is on my to get list, hopefully xmas will inspire the family into book gift cards...nope don't need anything else honey! :)

This was a cool blog and fun, some really great ideas. I would love a place to enjoy my vampires, werewolves, fairys...oh my! To write, read and enjoy alittle space just for me and definetly book shelves for all my books. My Precious's you know. lol
Fabulous contest and the prizes are Fangtabulous! I love that song, I kissed a Girl and I liked it! So cool.
Have a Bitingly Good Day! (hmm do you get points for making up words? hehe)

Squenn said...

I can't wait to read the new book. I picked up at work the other day. I put both books on my picks shelf at the store!

Jenn
squenn91474@yahoo.com

Asylumgirl said...

I'm pretty sure I've never kissed a vampire. However, I'm positive that I would like it. lol

Deidre
deidre_durance at hotmail dot com

Martha Lawson said...

Great organizing tips!! You are new to me author, and your book sounds wonderful. I sure would like to win a copy..

mlawson17 at hotmail dot com

Zu said...

Congrats on the new book. Came to this site to find something good to read and I did!! Also thanks for the decorating advise. I will be stopping by Target tomorrow. . .I want some black roses and some good books from Borders!!

Thanks,
zuzelle at yahooDOTcom

Unknown said...

Thanks for the Chicagoland Vampire novels!!! I loved Some Girls Bites and can't wait to finish reading Friday Night Bites! :)

christine.capati@gmail.com

Dot S.(ladeetdareads.wordpress.com) said...

I LOVED the fist book and look forward to Friday Night Bites.
salvagin@verizon.net

tenshinohanran said...

Oh boy, I loved your books!!!
Good luck with your other releases.
You are definitely on my best author place. XD

jeanette8042 said...

Oooh the series sounds awesome and another to add to my TBR pile!

lilazncutie1215@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Congratulations.

Awesome Tips. I'll definitely be revamping (couldn't resist) my writing space soon.

drachilent at yahoo dot com

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.