Monday, February 15, 2010

Monday Musings February 15, 2010


I am a little late posting this today since the kids are home from school and I didn't have to get up early this morning.

So how was every one's Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year? Year of the Tiger! Rarrgh...

Hubby and I went to dinner and to the movies. While everyone else was cramming themselves in to see Valentine's Day and Dear John we watched The Wolfman.

The cinematography was great and it was a well made movie...but there wasn't a lot of acting. To me most of the movie consisted on a wolfman rampaging around killing mindlessly. It was a brutal, vicious, bloody slaughter on the screen...repeatedly. I suppose that is what a true horror movie is but I expected more. I know it was based on the original Wolfman, even gave a nod to a Werewolf in London with him rampaging around and running across the rooftops in London.

So I guess The Wolfman was OK but I was disappointed by several things. First of all let me repeat what was great- the set, the filming, the makeup, the creepy Victorian era feel and the crumbling manor house with it's creepy gardens and the dark and brutal insane asylum, wow all very atmospheric- everything was well done and not cheesy. The whole tone of the movie was dark and had the true Gothic horror feel.

However what I would have loved to see more of was acting, especially from Benicio del Toro. He was cool and aloof in the beginning and didn't struggle enough with the beast inside him later. I wanted more struggle, more character.
Anthony Hopkins did an excellent job as usual.

And the love story? That was a joke. Seriously. The whole premise was "only love will save him". The love story was chopped and slaughtered with everything else. There was no love, no progression, just I don't know...it didn't work for me.

OK enough with my Wolfman review.

This weekend I also got to watch the first two episodes of True Blood... finally. I found it to be quirky, funny, strange and possibly addicting. I now await the second DVD from Netflix. I definitely must see more.

So onto this week at Fang-tastic Books. Author Courtney Breazile will be here for a guest blog tomorrow, Thursday Ann Cory will be here and Friday Judi Fennell will be here for a guest blog and giveaway.

The numbers of followers for Fang-tastic Books is growing remember that one of my goals for 2010 is to reach the 500 Follower mark here at Fang-tastic Books. So far I'm over halfway there.

Once I reach 500 Followers I am holding a contest which is open to all followers. I'm even offering international shipping.

Until I reach 500 Followers I am adding goodies to a Fang-tastic Books tote bag. If that gets filled up I'll grab a box to add goodies to that too.

So far the giveaway prize pack contains: A Fang-tastic Books tote bag and t-shirt, signed print copies of my books Eternal Desire and Insatiable, Blood Ties Season 2 on DVD, a copy of Blood Price by Tanya Huff, and a lot of promo goodies from various authors including bookmarks, postcards, pins, stickers, trading cards and more. Plus I have a stack of books I'll be sorting through to add to the prize pack.

So please spread the word and make sure to add yourself as a follower if you are not already.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

My hubby and I went to see it too yesterday. I feel exactly the same way that you feel about the movie. I did think Del Torro became better looking as the movie went on, but that is what always happens when I watch movies.

Roxanne Rhoads said...

del Toro is generally not a good looking man in my opinion but I agree, from some angles he looked better than others as the movie progressed

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.