Monday, April 26, 2010

Win a Pdf of Wings of Desire by Arianna Skye


Au Revoir Historical Romance, For Now at Least

I absolutely love history. I was a history major in college until I got sucked into the world of technology—not quite how my heroine in Wings of Desire did, unfortunately. Bummer! Who doesn’t want a hot faerie man whisking them through a computer screen and into a mysterious faerie world? Instead, I spent my time chatting it up with other geeks and nerds all over the world. But anyhow, I digress. Because I’ve always been a history buff and took many history classes in college, I assumed I would start my writing career off with a historical romance. I’ve always held a fascination with the Regency period and the mores and customs of the time. I even did my final research paper on Jane Austen for my English History class. This earned bonus points from the professor since it was right after the Clueless movie was released. For those who don’t know, Clueless was based on Jane Austen’s Emma.

But things don’t always happen the way you expect or want them to. I did fully intend to write a historical Regency. I got about three fourths of the way through until I finally realized it was going nowhere fast. I was at 65,000 words and the hero and heroine had yet to consummate things. I then toyed with another idea based on my days in chat rooms and got really excited about it. I tried to balance my writing time between the two projects, but eventually Wings of Desire took over. I’m a lover of all sorts of fairytales, especially The Princess Bride. My favorite part of the movie is the humor. So it was only natural that my fairytale would have humor as well. My humor tends to lean more towards sarcastic and snarky, though.

Matter of fact, my next soon to be published book, Beauty School Demon (Coming Spring 2011 from Sourcebooks) written under my other pen name of Sidney Ayers continues my irreverent and snarky sense of humor. And even though I’m now writing mainly humorous and light fantasy paranormal romance, I still try to incorporate some history into my novels. After all, history is what shaped us into what we are today.
BLURB for Wings fo Desire:

A fairytale, but not the kind your mother used to read you!

Rhiannon Kinsley's life goes from boring to downright crazy when a freak lightning bolt strikes her laptop. To make matters even more bizarre, strange words and symbols flash across the computer screen and she hears a mysterious voice. Time to call the men in white coats!
Then Cerne Silverwing, an intriguingly sexy man, appears. He insists she’s a faerie princess whose fate will determine his own. What a crock! Now she knows who really needs those white coats. With the Dark Faerie forces threatening their kingdom, Cerne kidnaps Rhiannon and brings her to Fey, a land where magic knows no bounds. He's performing a duty to save his kingdom and nothing more—a duty that will bring him his wings and the strengthened magic that comes with them. If he doesn’t unite with the princess as her consort, those wings will never grow. But this princess grew up in the land of laptops and instant messages, and she’s convinced they're both crazy. Despite their differences, the two are thrust together to defeat the whip-wielding Dark Faerie Queen before she takes over their kingdom. Passion and peril aside, will Rhiannon and Cerne discover their true destiny?


Publisher buy link: http://eternalpress.biz/book.php?isbn=9781770650299

To show my appreciation, anyone who comments is eligible to win one of two e-Book copies of my debut novel Wings of Desire, a fantasy erotic romance available now from Eternal Press.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

A fairytale I wouldnt mind reading at all. ;).. Loved the excerpt, differnt yet intriguing, and with that added historical - romance - suspense.. Something I would definelty like to read ,, sometime.
Katrina
kittee_cat@bigpond.com

Unknown said...

"Who doesn’t want a hot faerie man whisking them through a computer screen and into a mysterious faerie world?" Raises hand, I want that, I want that!

I love fairytales and this one sounds exciting, would love to read more! I'm also a history buff, would love to see how you merged all these genres :-)

Thank you and congrats!

stella.exlibris (at) gmail DOT com

Sweet Vernal Zephyr said...

Oh my. I spend so much time face to face with a computer screen, this is a great fantasy for me! :D I'll be daydreaming even more that I usually do!

Miranda ~ SweetVernal Zephyr

Sherry said...

This sounds like a great book. I love reading fairy tales.

sstrode@scrtc.com

Ari said...

I think you may have everyone spending a ton of more time in front of their screens, just a wishing. And I love snarky..

ariadarkmuse@gmail.com

Estella said...

I love snarky and humor!

kissinoak at verizon dot net

AllTheWiser said...

Okay I can see the heat waves.. count me in..
TLR33960 at hotmail dot com

Persephone said...

Books without a nice knowledge of history and culture can just be horrid. I appreciate when an author takes time to research what they write about. Or, if it is a story with fairytale components, I like when it is mixed with an element of the believable.

patronus89013 at yahoo dot com

Arianna Skye said...

Hi all! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Sorry to be so late with my reply. I was without internet access all day and am frantically trying to pack for the RT convention.

The winners of the e-books are :

[insert drum roll here]

Sweet Vernal Zephyr and Estella!

Congrats! I'll send your books as soon as I am safely ensconced in my hotel room.

Cheers!
Arianna

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.