Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Interview with Brit Bury Author of The Darkest Day


Can you tell readers a little bit about yourself and what inspired to write in this particular genre. 

Sure! I am a mommy and wife with OCD and a whole truck load of weirdness. I’m a terrible singer, but that doesn’t stop me from kareoking and torturing other people’s ears on a regular basis. What really inspired me to write paranormal was just that…it’s not normal. It’s fun retreating to a part of my brain where immortals thrive and the world as we know it is always three seconds from a disaster.

What is it about the paranormal, in particular Fionns and Pookahs, that fascinates you so much? 

I just loved that they are a little different. Fionns and Pookahs are part of Scottish folklore, however, their mystical abilities, instincts and breeds, were things I created. I just was looking to branch out a bit from the immortals we all know and love.

Please tell us about your latest release. The Darkest Day takes place in modern day Scotland, however, the immortal race has taken over and humans are extinct…or so everyone thought! (Pause here and imagine scary sound effects). The hunky Scottish warrior has to protect the mortal female—who is also the last heir to his enemy clan—and somehow outrun a prophecy that could eternally bind them together or extinguish her soul forever.

Do you have a special formula for creating characters' names? Do you try to match a name with a certain meaning to attributes of the character or do you search for names popular in certain time periods or regions? 

I try to stay true to names that match the time period and region. For instance, all the Scottish Pookahs and Fionns from the clan have older Scottish first names. However, the Kerr and Campbell clans are real clans. My family actually is part of the Campbell clan. Izel’s name come from her Aztec heritage.

Was one of your characters more challenging to write than another?

I would say that Kelvin (the hero) changed the most throughout the drafts. It wasn’t necessarily more challenging, but rather kind of an organic growth. He really came into his personality toward the last go around. It was tricky with him because I had to constantly remind myself, “What would a thousand-year-old warrior do?” Ooh! I should get that on a bracelet! (WWATYOWD?) Hmmm…maybe not…

Is there a character that you enjoyed writing more than any of the others? 

Ryo was one of the most fun and the easiest. My critique partner says it’s because Ryo is the most like me. To which I replied, “But Ryo’s a full-blown nutter butter.” She didn’t respond.
Do you have a formula for developing characters? Like do you create a character sketch or list of attributes before you start writing or do you just let the character develop as you write? I put together a file on each character complete with a picture. It helps me keep things straight. Then as I write, they take on their own personalities throughout the various scenes.

What is your favorite scene from the book? Could you share a little bit of it, without spoilers of course? 

That’s honestly tough. One of my fav scenes is toward the end (and I can’t say…well…anything I guess because it would be a big spoiler. Hint: It involves Izel, The Grim Reaper and an ambush). Is that too much? I also love whenever Ramsey is in a scene. He’s makes me laugh.

Can you tell readers a little bit about the world building in the book/series? How does this world differ from our normal world? 

The world is like we know it today, only everyone walking around is some kind of immortal. Full-blooded humans have gone extinct and superior genes have thrived. All the different breeds of immortals know about each other. Every four-hundred-years, the four realms: Earth, Hell, Heaven and The Cypher open up for four days and all creatures can cross freely. This even is called The Court of Contention. It’s a time of great betrayal, war, and death. The series takes place several months before this major event.

With the book being part of a series, are there any character or story arcs, that readers jumping in somewhere other than the first book, need to be aware of? Can these books be read as stand alones? Each book can stand alone. The Immortal Heat series isn’t necessary chronological, but rather each book is about two new characters and their specific journey. All the characters are intertwined though. However, each book explains the world and you can start reading at any stage.

Do any of your characters have similar characteristics of yourself in them and what are they? 

My critique partner would say I’m most like Ryo. However, I think that there’s a different side of me in every heroine I write. They each bring a different attribute to the table.
Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? How do you deal with it? Oh holy crap yes! There are days (weeks) were I can’t put a sentence together to save my life. But I talk through ideas with my critique partner and listen to music. I try to visualize a certain scene and start there.

Do you write in different genres? 

I am currently working on a couple projects that are not paranormal. We’ll see how it goes! J

Do you find it difficult to write in multiple genres? 

Not at the moment. Both genres I’m writing in are similar in their own right so it’s been fun trying something a bit new.

When did you consider yourself a writer? 

Since I was a kid. It was always in me to write and the best outlet I had—still have.
What are your guilty pleasures in life? Books and sweets! You could set me up in a bunker that smells like sweat and rot, but if you give me a stack of romance novels and some chocolate, I’ll be happy for days.

Other than writing, what are some of your interests, hobbies or passions in life? 

I love doing things with my family. Camping, swimming and hiking with my boys is so fun. I also love to cook and scrapbook.

What was the last amazing book you read? 

Larissa Ione’s “Lethal Rider.”

Where is your favorite place to read? Do you have a cozy corner or special reading spot? 

I read anywhere. But I do have my “happy” corner where my fluffy chair is and I’m surround by pictures and trinkets of everything I love in life.

What can readers expect next from you? 

Book two in the Immortal Heat series is done and will be out soon-ish. I’m currently writing book three and I have a few other projects going as well. It’s going to be a fun year!

Where can readers find you on the web?


Twitter: @BrittBury

Publisher's Website: www.forever-romance.com

Would you like to leave readers with a little teaser or excerpt from the book?
Of course! I attached an excerpt from The Darkest Day below.

“Aht, aht, ah Pookah,” the creature tsked while wagging his finger. Izel gasped when the sickly palm on her throat squeezed. Kelvin saw red.
The Alp’s yellow flesh was littered with rot and open sores. His eyes and fangs were black, and oozed a foul smelling bile. Kelvin was grateful Izel couldn’t see the grotesque creature at her back. He kept his eyes locked on the Alp’s hands. One flick of his wrist, and the creature could snap Izel’s neck.
Kelvin tensed, his muscles flexed, hand gripping his dagger.
“I know what you’re thinking Pookah, and I’d advise against it,” it hissed, keeping its hideous eyes on Kelvin. “Mmm, I haven’t scented a human this pure in ages.” The Alp bent its head, running its vile tongue up Izel’s neck. Kelvin heard her bite back a cry of horror before her body noticeably began trembling.
“Let her go, beast,” he warned, “and I promise I will make your death quick.”
The Alp smiled, tar dripping from its fangs. “You call me beast?” Titling its neck, the creature ran its nose along Izel’s cheekbone. “Do you know what kind of company you keep mortal? That,” it lifted his chin at Kelvin, “is a beast.” It inhaled deeply. “The last being I devoured had fifty percent mortal blood. A rare find you know?” It nuzzled her ear. “But you sweetling, I’d wager that you are full human, are you not?”
Kelvin looked into her beautiful eyes. They were glossed over with tears, and the sight of her terror cut his heart in half. An odd feeling came over him. An emotion he’d never experienced in his long, long life. Fear. Not of the Alp as a foe, but of what the Alp currently threatened.
Protect her.

Super big thank-yous for having me!

The Darkest Day 
by Brit Bury

ALL-CONSUMING DESIRE . . .

Izel Campbell was raised to believe she is an immortal Fionn with the magical skills fo persuasion. But when she travels to Scotland to visit her ancestral home, Izel discovers that she is actually the world's last living human. Forced to run for her life, Izel crosses paths with Kelvin Kerr, the Campbells' greatest foe-and the most magnificent warrior she has ever seen.

BURNS BRIGHTEST . . .

A thousand-year-old battle chief of the Kerr clan, Kelvin lives only to avenge his father, who died at the hands of the bloody Campbells. Honor demands he kill the Campbell heir, but when he learns that the lovely Izel is both Campbell and human, Kelvin is torn between duty and desire . . .

ON THE DARKEST DAY


Author Bio

Britt Bury writes paranormal romance where the immortals are fierce, the stakes are high, and desire can be deadly.

Britt was raised in Corvallis, Oregon and attended Oregon State University majoring in Liberal Studies. When her dream of being a professional karaoke star and Elvis impersonator didn’t pan out, she turned to writing. She currently lives in the Silicon Valley with her brilliant husband, two sons and an obscene amount of fish. 

Britt's first paranormal romance releases July 3, 2012 with Grand Central's imprint: Forever Yours. Britt is represented by Jill Marsal of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency. 

No comments:

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.