Sunday, April 13, 2014

Interview with Nikki Rae Author of the New Adult/Young Adult Vampire Books- The Sunshine Series

Can you tell readers a little bit about yourself and what inspired to write in this particular genre?

Hi, readers! My name is Nikki Rae and I’m a student, writer, editor, and part time animal seller. I started writing in the paranormal romance genre because I was always drawn to the paranormal and I really love creating realistic relationships. Romance is just one type of relationship and it was right for my story at the time.

What is it about the paranormal, in particular vampires, that fascinates you so much?

I love paranormal because it’s scary. When I was little, I was terrified of vampires. Absolutely terrified. I think choosing to write about them was a way of dealing with that childhood fear, but I also grew to love vampires as I got older. I love how they’re constantly changing and evolving—there are no definite rules.

Please tell us about your latest release.

Sun Damage is the final book in The Sunshine Series. This is where every relationship is tested, all the secrets are revealed, and all of the monsters come out to play. In my opinion, this is the most emotional of the three books, judging by how emotional I got while writing it lol.

Do you have a formula for developing characters? Like do you create a character sketch or list of attributes before you start writing or do you just let the character develop as you write?


I don’t really have a formula. Sometimes I do make very loose sketches, but mostly, I write the story and the more I write, the more I learn about the characters and how they will react in a certain situation.

What is your favorite scene from the book? Could you share a little bit of it, without spoilers of course?

Since the main character Sophie is so closed off in the first book, I really like it when I see her open up. Any of those scenes can easily be considered my favorite. Here’s a little snippet from the first book:

 “It’s not your fault, you were only a child,” he whispers.

I open my eyes again and glare at him. I don’t want to do this.

“You’re right,” I choke out anyway. “But I’m not anymore. You’d think I’d grow up and face the fact that my mother doesn’t care…” I trail off. I put my head in my hands again. “I really thought she loved me,” I whisper.

Why am I telling him this?

Then I feel his arms around my back and my face against his chest. I try to push him away, but it’s no use. “Stop it,” I say.

He loosens his grip but I still can’t pull away. “Why?” he asks.

I push him again, my heart beating so loud I can feel it pulse in my swollen nose.

“Because I don’t need a hug right now.” I’m getting more agrrivated that I can’t break free.

He holds on a little tighter, but surprisingly, my heartbeat slows and I don’t feel like I have to puke.

“It’s just a hug,” Myles says into my ear. “I’m not going to hurt you.” After a minute he says, “You’re wrong. I think this is exactly what you need.”

My arms reach up. They stiffen at my sides a few times, but I give up and wrap my arms around his back. I grab onto the fabric of his sweatshirt so I don’t let go. The fabric is soft under my palms. If anyone is a match for putting up with my running away, it’s him.


Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? How do you deal with it?

I don’t usually. I almost never run out of ideas as to what to write about, only how to get to a certain plot point or how to convey a certain image, etc. If that happens and I’ve tried writing through it and it doesn’t help, I usually take a little break. I go for a walk, read a new book, write something else, or watch a movie. Sometimes, all I need is to give my brain a little break and I’m fine. : )

Do you have any weird writing quirks or rituals?

Not really. Well, okay. I need a TON of tea when I write. Like, gallons. I can easily put away 20 cups in one day and not even know it.


Do you write in different genres?

I do. Right now I’m writing a thriller/horror story, which is still paranormal, but a little less romance. I’m also working on a science fiction story, and slowly working my way through a book of short stories and a poetry collection.

Do you find it difficult to write in multiple genres?

Sometimes. I usually figure out my own set of “rules” pretty easily when it comes to the paranormal, but with things like poetry and shorter pieces, I find myself second-guessing and sending out rough drafts for feedback more. It’s new, which makes it scary. But it’s also really, really exciting because for me, writing isn’t fun unless I’m challenging myself.

Other than writing, what are some of your interests, hobbies or passions in life?

I really like animals, so anything having to do with playing, petting, or learning about them is always a plus. I also like to draw/paint (not very well, but still), read (of course), and I like workshopping, which is kind of like writing, only I read other peoples’ stuff as well and give them feedback.

What was the last amazing book you read?

Because of school, my free-reading time is limited. The last book I remember reading for fun was “A Monster Calls” by Patrick Ness. It’s a beautiful story with creepy yet beautiful illustrations. It’s a great book for anyone who has ever had to experience loss and I’ve been recommending it like crazy.

What can readers expect next from you?

I’m releasing a three-part novella about a blood donor (for vampires), then there’s going to be a Sunshine Series stand alone spinoff, which is more horror/suspense based than my other stuff.

Where can readers find you on the web?

Anywhere and everywhere!

Blog: http://nikkixrae.blogspot.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nikki-Rae/394844663902407?ref=hl

Twitter: @NikkiRaexX

Tumblr: http://nikkixrae.tumblr.com/

Instagram: http://instagram.com/nikkiraexx


Would you like to leave readers with a little teaser or excerpt from the book?

Sure!

I remember thinking that swimming was easy. I dove into the cool water, clear and clean. I was weightless, floating. I could move if I wanted to, but mostly, I just drifted on the surface, hiding underneath the trees, unafraid of being burned by the sun.

This is different.

Instead of floating, I’m being dragged under heavy, black waves. Instinct tells me to fight, to keep my head above water, but I’m tired. So tired. I find myself wanting to slip into the warm darkness and not come back up.

It doesn’t hurt here.

I’m not afraid here.

There’s no confusion. No questions. No choices. I can just sink.

But all oceans have a shore, and no matter how hard I try, I can’t stay under forever. I’m slammed back into my body. Back into the pain. The fear.

“How is she?” Jade’s voice, soft and broken, comes to me.
Hands on me. Covering me. Holding me.


“She’s okay.” Myles’ voice is somehow different. Something I not only hear, but feel in every bone, muscle, and scar. “She might come in and out for a while,” he says. “Depending on how much she fights it.”
I hear Jade let out a breath.

Myles is stroking my hair, whispering things to me that get caught up in the waves. My hearing is gone again. My body is light. For a second, I’m floating, then slipping back under. Out of my body, out of my mind.
Minutes, days. It’s all the same, and it’s strange that I don’t worry about going back, but I can’t find it in me to care.

The last few conscious minutes I had flood my thoughts.

Myles pressed his mouth to my collar bone. The same place he’d bitten me before.

First, the pain was worse. Worse than the first time, worse than the cramping in my body. I could feel Michael’s blood mixed in mine. It clawed at my veins and stuck to my chest, trying to hold on me as long as it could, going against the current flowing out of me and into Myles.

Then, abruptly, the pain stopped.

Everything became dark. I tried opening my eyes, but when I did, all I saw was the plain, white ceiling above us for one fleeting second before it got swallowed up by the darkness as well.

I didn’t want to go. Not then. He was still biting me, draining everything out, and I leaving with it. I felt my body bucking against his, fighting with whatever strength was left. His hands were clasped around mine, pushing my arms into the mattress at my sides. It didn’t hurt anymore, but the fear was worse than anything. He was pushing me off of a cliff, and I didn’t know what was below.

“Stop,” I whispered.

He didn’t move away from me to speak: I told you I wouldn’t.

I remember crying then, when my muscles relaxed without me wanting them to. When all of the strength in me was fading. Myles let go of my hands. He repositioned himself so his arms were under me, pressing our bodies closer together as his fangs sank deeper into my skin. I whimpered because I was too tired to scream.

Then his hands were wiping the tears from my face as new ones formed over and over.
I’m sorry. The words bounced around in my mind.

I could have blacked out, but he wouldn’t let me. Every time I felt myself leaving, Myles would shift. He would jolt me out of it by telling me something like stay, or not yet. I’ve never wanted to be so unattached to my body than in that moment. Never.

I’m sure it only lasted a few minutes, but it was an eternity of lifetimes for me.

I blinked and Myles was pulling away, leaving warmness and a faint throb where his mouth was connecting us. Then his arm was against my lips. The crook of his elbow was wet, cold at first, and then warm. I knew somewhere what it was, what I was supposed to do. Myles held my head with his free hand, but I pulled away regardless.

The grip he had on my skull tightened slightly. Enough to make me open my eyes. I saw him, but everything was blurred.


“Do you want to die?” he asked. There was nothing in his voice that scared me. It was only a question, the simple fact that if I drank what he was offering, I would live forever, if not, I’d fade into nothing.
Sunshine
release date: January 28, 2013

18 year old Sophie Jean is pretty good at acting normal. Sure, she’s not exactly happy, but happiness is nothing compared to being like everyone else. She can pretend she’s not allergic to the sun. 


She can hide what her ex-boyfriend did to her. She can cover up the scars she’s made for herself. Ignore anything. Forget anything. Then Myles enters her life, and he has more than a few secrets of his own. When accident after accident keeps happening to Sophie, she can’t help noticing that he’s everywhere.

That he knows too much. That she’s remembering too much.

It’s one thing covering up her own dark past, but does she really need to worry about people finding out just how much Myles likes her? Or that
despite how much she doesn't want to repeat past mistakes, she kind of likes him back? Not to mention the fact that she now has to conceal that Myles drinks blood-that he says he’s about four hundred years old. She almost forgot about that part.
But Sophie has no plans to ruin the normal life she has created for herself.She can deal with this little glitch, no problem. Even if word has gotten around to the wrong vampire about Sophie and Myles, even if she’s putting the few people she loves at risk. Suddenly, those who were monsters before are just people, and the monsters? They’re real. Now being a normal human being is the least of her problems. Now she has to stay alive.
  
Sun Poisoned
release date: June 28, 2013
Sophie’s life has changed. She’s moved to New York, she’s playing music for new people, and she’s making new friends. Then there’s Myles, and the fact that he is now her boyfriend—and everyone knows it.

She’s not exactly normal, living in a half-human, half-vampire world, but she’s finally, truly happy. However, some parts of Sophie and Myles’ old lives still hide in the dark, waiting for the right opportunity to strike.


Sophie’s having nightmares again, but they aren't about her; Myles is hiding something as well, something Sophie isn’t sure she wants to know.

And one lie will change everything.

No matter how hard she tries to cover up the marks her monsters have left behind, they never truly go away, and Myles’ monsters are no different.

Once again, Sophie’s caught between life and death, but this time, only she can save herself.
Sun Damage  
release date: March 28, 2014
Life wasn't what Sophie was expecting, so why should death be any different? 

She’s come back from swimming between the two, and every problem she left is still there. And then some.
There’s the human world, where she has a brother on the verge of ruins, band mates all set to go on tour, and people she thought she wouldn't be seeing for a long time showing up. 

Then there’s her new world, where she’s seeing and hearing things that should not be heard or seen. Where Myles knows more about her than she could have ever guessed. She still doesn't know exactly why Michael is tormenting her, but somehow, everything is connected. 

The monsters are closing in on all sides and the question is, will Sophie be able to defeat them before it all ends?


No comments:

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.