Thursday, May 20, 2010

Ghost Hunting with Victoria Roder, Win a Copy of The Dream House Visions and Nightmares


Have you, or would you be brave enough to investigate a haunted location?

I will be giving away an e-book copy of The Dream House Visions and Nightmares to one lucky person that comments.

What can cause the hair on your arms to rise? Is it a sense of being watched? Seeing a shadow out of the corner of your eye? Perhaps, it’s a sound that shouldn’t be there but is. A residual haunt is a continual playback of a past event. The ghost will repeat an action over and over, but not interact with people. An intelligent haunt is a ghost that can attempt to communicate or interact with us. I live in a hundred-forty year old house farm house and if I thought every unusual sound was from the beyond, I would have moved out long ago.

Interest in spirits has been around since the beginning of time, but it has been brought to the forefront by the fascination of ghost hunting reality shows. With my own interest in the paranormal, I have recently joined Foothill Paranormal Investigations of California. http://www.meetup.com/Footfhill-Paranormal-Investagi/?a=wm1_gn

Although I can write spine tingling sequences of a ball bouncing down the street depositing blotches of blood, a decaying, maggot infested owl squishing under foot, and walking across decaying human bones─I’d probably be shaking in my boots and wanting to hold someone’s hand through a paranormal investigation.

My paranormal romance, The Dream House Visions and Nightmares received the highest rating of BEST BOOK on The Long and Short of it Reviews. It is a murder mystery wrapped in a paranormal ghost story. Recurring dreams of a house Hope Graham's family rented when she was a child, taunt her nights with images of a woman in a bloody nightgown pleading for help. Dream sequences of children metamorphosing into rats, blood spewing out of windows, and walking across decaying bones, foretell of sins of the past and forewarn of danger in the present. In an attempt to end the agony of her sleep deprivation, Hope travels to her hometown...only to discover that the truth can be more frightening than a nightmare.

Excerpt: The Dream House Visions and Nightmares, by Victoria Roder, Asylett Press 2009.

I looked up and down the dimly lit street. There was no evidence of life. Nor were there any sounds. No dogs barking. No horns honking. No children playing. Nothing. I focused on the house-on its paneless windows, weathered boards and dilapidated porch sinking into a sea of overgrown grass and weeds-and nausea overcame me as an overwhelming moldy odor permeated the air. The look of the house didn’t make my skin crawl; it was the essence of it.


I watched the dilapidated house-it moved closer. Perhaps it lured me to it. I began to shiver. I looked down at the white cotton nightgown that I wore. Silk embossed flowers decorated the bodice. I was still straining to hear a sound when I realized, blood had saturated my gown until it had become a second skin.


I felt a tug on my gown.

I looked down-Rae’s hair cascaded over her face as she clasped my hem through the fence. She pleaded, “Please, help me, please. Can’t you hear my children screaming?”

I struggled to get away…

Please visit me at http://www.victoriaroder.com/ to read an excerpt from my Champagne Books April 2010 Action Thriller release, Bolt Action.

The Dream House Visions and Nightmares is available at

Remember, leave a comment or question on this to be entered to win an e-copy of The Dream House Visions and Nightmares

12 comments:

BrennaLyons said...

I have (as near as I can tell) two ghostly emanations in my current house. They tend to stick to a small area of the house each. One doesn't bother me. The other does, so I avoid it as much as possible. As a sensitive (and my husband the son of one, so he has a feel for it himself), we were very picky in which house we chose. Every home older than a few years has some negative emanations.

When we were house hunting, we came across one that reeked of murder. I mean, it seeped from the walls. I spent less than 5 minutes there and demanded to leave. My husband was right with me. He said it surprised him that I spent that long in there. When the realtor asked why we turned down a house that was so big...more rooms than we needed, my husband informed her that people had been killed there. She initially laughed at us. Then she became physically ill and had to have my husband drive to the next two houses before she started recovering.

At the same time, I have recurring dreams of a particular house that is haunted. If I ever find it, I am NOT entering it.

Brenna

Victoria Roder said...

Thanks for sharing your story Brenna. I have two sisters that are sensitives. A recurring dream I had about a house is what started this book. You never know where your dreams will lead.

Anonymous said...

I've never gone looking for a ghost buy my house is haunted. I found out a few years after moving in that a man had died in it. He's usually really calm but sometimes. He likes to scare us.

We have one squeaking board in the hallway. Sometimes at night when I'm laying in bed reading he'll squeak it. My cat will be laying beside me looking down the hallway with her fur standing on end.

Michele said...

Scary beginning! Yeah, the paranormal stuff can give me chills.

Victoria Roder said...

Thanks for leaving comments ladies. Someone is going to win The Dream House Visions and Nightmares!

katsrus said...

I always watch the ghost hunter shows & it looked interesting but; I think I would be a big chicken if I had to investigate or have a ghost living with me. LOL.
+5 entries for being a Fang-tastic Books Follower

+5 for being a @RoxanneRhoads twitter follower

Great contest and post.
Sue B
katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

katsrus said...

I forgot to put my Twitter name.
katsrus2003

Rosie said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so excited to read this book. I love ghost stories most out of any paranormals that I read!! One of these days, my hope is that I can get in on one of those ghost hunts that the Ghost Adventures team hosts. It would be an amazing adventure!

Estella said...

This book sounds like an awesome read!

Can't say as I have ever had a chance to come in contact with a ghost or spirit. Nor do I want to.

kissinoak at verizon dot net

Riv Re said...

I'd like to win this.
rivkarno1(at)hotmail(dot)com

booklover0226 said...

I'm a coward, I have never been nor will be close enough to a haunted house to investigate.

But I'll be more than happy to read about it and such things!

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Andrea I said...

My daughter and I watch the ghosthunter shows. I don't think I would want to investigate andy hunted location, but I do like to read about the paranormal.

ainfinger@comcast.net

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.