Monday, February 20, 2012

Review: A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Complex and captivating this book sucked me in from the first page.


I don't think I've ever read a book that so deeply blended magic, science and history into such an amazing read.

It took me longer to read this book than any other novel I've ever read- and not because it was bad but because I wanted to absorb every detail and make sure I understood what was going on.

This book isn't for the average paranormal reader who wants a quick read- no this one is a book you;ll want to take your time with, dive in and absorb all the details. Let it sink into your mind and you'll find yourself a little smarter by the end of the book :-)

It's quite obvious the author is an academic. I love the fact that she's taken "genre fiction", turned it on it's ear and created something that can be tossed as those stuffy academics that don't believe "genre fiction" is worth their time. Fluffy, meaningless words some call popular novels.

Well A Discovery of Witches may be fictional but the history and detail, the science, the possibilities...it definitely asks questions and makes you wonder.

I can't wait to see where this series goes and what we'll discover along the way.

Harkness has proven to have her own kind of magic and I am surely caught in her spell.





View all my reviews

1 comment:

Cass said...

I've been waiting for the paperback to come out to get this one, it sounds great!

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.