Every author strives to get to this point, the point where there is not turning back for the reader past page one. To venture into the author’s mind and imagine the people, places and sights in one’s own mind as the author has spread out before you. How do they do that? What can a writer do to hone their craft in such a way?
Who do you have to kill?
Well, being a debut author myself, I find this question constantly running miles through my head, a relentless nag that makes me want to be that kind of writer–to be the next Suzanne Collins, J.K. Rowling or even Stephen King. Yet how? As I continue my journey into this vast world writing stories, publishing and fandom, I discovered that the answer is never a clear one, but there are guidelines out there to help you on your way. You may have heard them before, but I live by these words. Every type of the keyboard and daydream I tap out comes from sticking to this list; each one of these rules have helped me to stay on track and become a better writer in every way.
Alexia’s rules to being a good writer/storyteller/seller…..
1. Write every day and often (Stephen King says it best! Plus, it is a muscle, use it or lose it, duh!)
2. Read even more–you want to be like someone? Read their stuff! (but of course!)
3. Jot down every story idea, even if they suck. (Okay, that was the easy one)
4. Read it out loud, you’d be surprised how different it sounds when not just in your head.…(Reality vs. Illusion here)
5. Do try to keep it organized (Yeah right! Outline? What is that?)
6. Get some feedback! (Eek!)
7. Get yourself out there with the social networks. (Hello Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, Blog, website, Tumbler, Pinterest, Google +….gulp!)
8. Shameless Promotion! (gulp gulp!) Chat and, well, do it a lot! (YES, mingle!)
9. Get a mentor (or 2 or 3 or 4) and ask them lots of questions! (Yep, I’ve annoyed many a person, this I know.)
10. Don’t forget to live your life. (Yes I mean you, shed this self-imposed isolation stuck on the PC, how else do you get ideas? Go and seek them out!)
There you have it in a nutshell, I’m sure there are other rules, but feel free to make your own. Happy writing ;)
Where to find Alexia Purdy:
Goodreads Author page:
Alexia Purdy’s Facebook Fan Page:
Ever Shade (A Dark Faerie Tale) Facebook Fan page:
Reign of Blood Series Facebook Fan Page:
Ever ShadeA Dark Faerie Tale
By Alexia Purdy
A dark twist on faeries. For Shade, a chance meeting with a powerful Teleen faery warrior who wields electrical currents and blue fires along his skin- has her , joining him on a treacherous mission for the good Seelie Faerie Court across the land of Faerie. Magic and malice abound and nothing is what it really seems to be.
The evil Unseelie Queen and her treacherous allies are round every corner... as Shade makes her way across the breathtaking landscapes of the world of Faerie, which exists alongside the mundane human world. Shade discovers her own uncharted magic and meets some of the most powerful warriors in Faerie while battling evil dryads, conniving Teleen guards and challenges on her life with every step in a world where nothing can be taken for granted.
About the Author:
Alexia currently lives in Las Vegas, Nevada- Sin City! She love's to spend every free moment writing, or playing with her four rambunctious kids. Writing has always been her dream and she has been writing ever since she can remember. She love's creating paranormal fantasy and poetry and loves to read and devour books daily. Alexia also enjoys watching movies, dancing, singing loudly in the car and Italian food. Currently working on launching her debut dark parnormal fantasy Ever Shade- A Dark Faerie Tale series with Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Publishing.