Thursday, July 16, 2009

Meet the Faustin Brothers with Author Evie Byrne



Today we have guest author Evie Byrne discussing her Faustin Brothers series and giving away a copy of Bound by Blood . Thanks for joining us Evie!



I didn't really intend to write a trilogy of vampire books, but the vampires found me. Well, one did. Alex.

In those minutes between sleep and waking, when all my ideas come, Alexander Faustin showed up on the doorstep of my imagination, cute and goofy and incredibly hot. I eavesdropped while he talked with his decidedly eccentric mother, who sounded like Natasha from the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons. Between drags on her cigarette, she said to him, "Alexander, without he has family, a vampyr ezz nuthking."

Huh?

I hadn't planned to write a vampire book, but heck, talkative vampires had moved into my head. I had no choice.

I knew from the start that these would be different vampires. Alex had a mother, so he'd been born, not made. He had a soul. He was mortal.

Huh.

I began to see his vampirism as both a blessing and a disability, and was intrigued by all the possibilities of writing about the adventures of an all-too-human vampire.

While I worked on Alex's story, I caught glimpses of his charismatic big brothers, and I realized each of them had a story too. So one book turned into three: The Faustin Bros. Trilogy, three erotic vampire romances made up of surprising twists.

In each book, the hero has to hunt down and win his bride. Yes, they have destined mates, but I swear it's not an authorial cop out! Each of the brothers has to work hard for their Happily Ever After, because their women are not pushovers.

This is the series in a nutshell:

Alex, is the youngest and the family romantic. He's always wanted to marry, but his human mate has no interest in marrying a monster. His story is Called by Blood.

("A new and refreshing twist on vampires..." Paranormal Romance)


The middle brother, irascible, workaholic Gregor, has no intention of marrying, prophecy or no prophecy. Fate is about to knock him on his ass. His story is Bound by Blood.

("It had me laughing one minute and teary-eyed the next…Evie Bryne’s erotic vampire tales are not to be missed." Romance Junkies)


The eldest, Mikhail, is a lonely prince. When he learns his destined bride is his arch enemy, he knows he'll be mated or dead within the month. His story is Damned by Blood, and it will be released at Samhain on September 22nd.


The giveaway:


I'm giving away a copy of a Bound by Blood to a lucky commenter. Please note, this will be an ebook. If you follow this link, you can read the first chapter at Samhain. You can read a sexier excerpt here at my website.

Release-wise, Bound by Blood is the second book in the series, but chronologically it is the first, so it is actually the best place to begin the series. Strange but true. I'll return here in September to give away a copy of Mikhail's story.

To win, all you have to do is comment below on the following questions. You don't have to answer all of them:

Have you noticed a lot of snark lately directed against vampire romance? If so, what do you think has caused the burn out? What makes you insatiable for vampire books?

I'll draw a winner at random. Make sure you leave some way for me to contact you!

Many thanks to Roxanne for graciously inviting me to blog here today.

Happy reading!

Evie

17 comments:

Pia Veleno said...

Hi Evie! Thanks for dropping in.

Regarding your question, I think any genre that gets popular quickly can get that kind of snark. I've been known to mouth off about paranormal romance myself. It's directed more to the bandwagon writers who only write vampires because they're popular.

I still devour the well-written vampire story, both the romantic and the horrific, and my own vampires have been known to be both as well.

Pia

Anonymous said...

I actually haven't noticed any snark. Maybe I haven't been reading in the right places?

I can agree with Pia on the bandwagon writers. I think an author should write in a genre that they are passionate about, regardless of he popularity of the genre.

I personally love to read a well-written romance, all genres, but I especially love paranormal.

Melissa
melissaconatser at gmail dot com

Judy said...

The Faustin Brothers series sounds fantastic. The only thing I am hearing about the vampire world of books is alot of people are unhappy with a certain author who kind of dumped the vampire. I think most people can overlook that and continue with the rest of the great vampire authors out there.

magnolias_1@msn.com

said...

Hi Evie! I think I am going to like yourseries. I neverget tired if vampires, but I think therest if theworlddoes, which is why I am hearing less requests for that genre from the larger publishers.

But a good story is still a good story so if I were you, I wouldn't worry about any vamp backlash.

Inez Kelley said...

I have heard some snark BUT I have also personally turned a group of a couple hundred women onto epublishing and what is available.

The vampire sex thing? Huge draw, major pointage there. They didn't want sparkly Edward who was written for their daughters but a grown woman's story.

Yeah, they scope new vamps like it was the opening day of Deer season. There may be snark but there is also those who can't wait for the next one.

Cybercliper said...

OMG - I so want this book!! I was just reading about it on Samhain last night!! And I'm sure you saw the great review Dear Author gave it.

Snark, I've seen some regarding the genre but not a lot. Paranormal romance is a hot genre and I don't think it will be fading anytime soon and vampires will always have a reigning role. Just think, all those young Twilight fans will be coming of an age shortly to enjoy the more adult side of the genre. annhon@aol.com

Evie Byrne said...

Ah, I love these comments! You are my people! Fang-tastic is a safe place for vampire love. ;)

I've seen my share of "why I hate vampire romance" blog posts, but my snark encounters often come in the form of comments like "If I never see another vampire story again it will be too soon." Or even via compliments to me such as, "I swore I'd never read another vampire story but I read yours and I can't believe I liked it!"

But as Inez says, there is a rock solid fan base for vamps that isn't going away any time soon. Thank the heavens! And LOL at the deer season image, Inez!

Roxanne Rhoads said...

There were vampire fans long before Twilight ever was thought of and there will be long after.

I have been a vampire fan for decades (OMG am I really old enough to say decades? LOL) and my love has never ceased (hence this blog). I plan to read and write about vamps for years to come no matter what the snarks have to say.

I think many people just like to complain about what's popular and they've never really been fans of the genre.

And the overwhelming response to Twilight has made everyone dip their toes in the bloody waters and some are not very successful and are Twilight rip offs.

Once the Twilight stuff wears off true vampire fans will still be around, as ever faithful to the immortals as they have always been.

Estella said...

I have not heard any snark about vampire romances.
I have been reading vampire books for a number of years, and love the the edge of danger and sexiness they imbue.

The Scarf Princess said...

I haven't noticed any snark, particularly with the love I keep seeing expressed for True Blood and New Moon on the internet/airwaves everyday.

What I love about a good vamp book is a strong, sexy hero who doesn't wallow in torment-ville. That's not to stay I want him to be a comedian, just not uber-dour.

The Scarf Princess said...

Aaaarrrggghhhh, forgot my email. I hate that stupid enter button, always going off too early.

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

Anonymous said...

Hmm...What is it about vampires that I can't get enough of? Umm...everything! They're mysterious, dark, and sexy. What else do you need to as the basis of a great character?

Lisa B.

Pam P said...

There will always be someone snarking, even in historicals you get it about types of plots, settings, etc. I've been reading vamp romances for years and still not tired of them, I like what I like. Regardless of genre, it all comes down to a good story and character chemistry for me.

Heather B. said...

I think it's because paranormal is one of the biggest growing types of romance.

I've been reading it for years. I started out with Ann Rice like a lot of people then moved toward LKH's Anita Blake series and I also read Laws of the Blood by Susan Sizemore and then on to Christine Feehan's Dark series and just on and on. I love vamp romances but I also like other paranormals too.

I have got to pick up these books. I have them saved in my wish list. I love the covers they are soo very nice.

Unknown said...

Paranormal romance is having great success, and I hope to see it last a long time. It's one of my favorite reads. I don't read to many snarky reviews in regards to the genre. There certainly are a few, but like Pia, I think it only increases the popularity of the genre.

Fantasy has always been comforting reading for me, urban fantasy and paranormal romance has become a big part of that comfort read. I also enjoy the scary aspects of fantasy as well as Syfy. Fantasy encompasses so much, it's difficult to say one sub-genre is more appealing than another.

Kytaira said...

I have noticed some *snark*. I think it's mainly from people that don't usually read paranormals. I guess you could call them drive by fans. They're the ones that get on a band wagon and then are ready to move on to the next fad.

At the same time there's a huge group of readers that love vampires and are only waiting for the next well written series. We're the ones that are just looking for a new twist, not a new genre.

lynda98662 at yahoo dot com

Evie Byrne said...

And....

Joder wins the prize! Yay Joder! I'll be contacting you directly.

Thanks to all of you for your comments.

Best,

Evie

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.