Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Review Strange Brew edited by P.N. Elrod




Five Fangs for Strange Brew

Summary (from the book jacket)

Today’s hottest urban fantasy authors come together in this delicious brew that crackles and boils over with tales of powerful witches and dark magic!

In Charlaine Harris’ “Bacon,” a beautiful vampire joins forces with a witch from an ancient line to find out who killed her beloved husband. In “Seeing Eye” by Patricia Briggs, a blind witch helps sexy werewolf Tom Franklin find his missing brother—and helps him in more ways than either of them ever suspected. And in Jim Butcher’s “Last Call,” wizard Harry Dresden takes on the darkest of dark powers—the ones who dare to mess with this favourite beer.

For anyone who’s ever wondered what lies beyond the limits of reality, who’s imagined the secret spaces where witches wield fearsome magic, come and drink deep. Let yourself fall under the spell of this bewitching collection!

This anthology contains nine stories:

Seeing Eye by Patricia Briggs
Last Cal by Jim Butcher
Death Warmed Over by Rachel Caine
Vegas Odds by Karen Chance
Hecate’s Golden Eye by P.N. Elrod
Bacon by Charlaine Harris
Signatures of the Dead by Faith Hunter
Ginger: A Nocturne City Story by Caitlin Kittredge
Dark Sins by Jenna Maclaine

This is a fang-tastic collection of short stories by some of the hottest authors in paranormal and urban fantasy.

I, of course, started this collection by flipping to the very last story first to read Jenna Maclaine's "Dark Sins". This story is set between her first and second novels and fills in the blanks as to what happened in between. This story is alluded to quite a bit in the second book and I am so glad I finally got to find out exactly what she was talking about. Great story.

After I finished that I started from the beginning of the book and read every single story. Wow. Now I have to grab these authors books. Caitlin Kitteridge's Nocturne City books are so on my to-read list and Jim Butcher's books too. And Charlaine Harris has been on my to-read list (I know, I know how could I have not read her books yet, I blame the library they never have them in, in order) Anyway, Charlaine has a seriously wicked and dark sense of humor that I now officially love. If the Sookie Stackhouse books are like this story I have got to read them.

The other stories are pretty good, too. I am not going to go over every single detail today, though I did read them- I am just too tired to type all that. Sorry hope you forgive me.

This was a great collection to spend a couple days reading. I love short story collections like this because I can get a feel for a writer's voice, what their novels might be like plus occasioanlly I like a qucik read that doesn't require a major investment. Short stories allow me to finish them in one sitting and move on to something else. Sometimes I like that.

3 comments:

Ellz said...

Oooh, I love a good anthology. Such a great way to find new authors. I have not read any Briggs, Butcher, Chance, Elrod, Hunter, Kitteridge or Macclaine (more than I thought). I would by this if not just to read the Harris and Caine stories. Great review!

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

I bought this for myself but my husband read it first - he finished it last night and said it was very good...

rita said...

I started reading the Sookie novels last weekend and am up to #3. Love. them.

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.