Saturday, December 12, 2009

Look ma, no hands! Guest Author Suzanne Rock

Remember when you were a kid and you first experienced that independence? How about the elation you felt when you tied your shoes for the first time, or put the ball through the basketball hoop in your back yard? Maybe you’re like me, and have a toddler at home who is constantly reminding you that she can do things herself. As a parent it’s hard to step away and watch your child stumble and fall, but I know that’s the only way that they will ever be self sufficient.







When I first started writing, I was very much like that toddler who wanted to do everything by herself. I wrote in vacuum, submitted manuscripts in isolation, and suffered through rejection behind closed doors. Then I learned something: writing isn’t a solitary sport.

In “Spyder’s Web,” Spyder tried to suffer with her curse alone. She was convinced she could beat it herself, but she was wrong. In “Up on the Housetop”, Chloe suffered her lover’s death in silence as the world around her moved forward. Both characters tried to go it on their own…and failed.

It took events in their lives to make them wake up and realize that help was right in front of them. For Spyder, it took confronting an old enemy to make her begin to trust James and let him help her. Only when she was most vulnerable was she able to see how vital he was to her survival. For Chloe, it took her father manipulating her into an engagement without love to make her see that she could never live up to her parent’s expectations. In her weakest moment, she climbed to the top of the roof of her childhood home to escape her parents. It’s there that she had a brush with the supernatural and start to rediscover herself.

It was in these moments of vulnerability that both Spyder and Chloe really began to grow. As both women evolved throughout their stories, they began to realize that the people around them were not what they seem – both emotionally and physically. It was through these transformations that they finally became the women that they were destined to be.

For me, it took reaching out to other writers and forming a critique group that really made my writing take off. I joined the Romance Writers of America (RWA) and met even more authors who offered advice and support. I can safely say that without my support system, I would never have been able to stick with writing and finally realize my dream.

So this Christmas, let’s give a shout out to the people who support us every day. Tell me about your support system in the comments section and be entered into a drawing to win a copy of “Spyder’s Web”. (If you already own a copy, say so and we can take you out of the drawing.)




Up on the Housetop Buy Link: http://www.loose-id.com/Up-on-a-Housetop.aspx
Up on the Housetop Book Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfRapp-4n2M

Blurb for “Up on the Housetop”:

Desperate to escape her controlling family, Chloe Bradford scrambles up to the housetop of her Texas home on Christmas Eve. There she discovers a sexy stranger cloaked in shadow. He convinces her to shed her good-girl image and give into her most secret desires. The man's low, raspy voice tugs at her memory as much as it awakens her passion. Is he a Christmas miracle, or some figment of her imagination? When he tries to leave, she follows him, eager to learn his identity.

Zach can't stop thinking about Chloe, or their reunion on the roof. His wolf-half urges him to reveal his identity and claim her, but he doesn't dare. For both their sakes, he must remain in the shadows until he can control his inner beast's bursts of rage. After a decade of struggle he thought he could handle his curse, but Chloe's presence causes his control to slip. As the moon-rages become more frequent, he knows he's slipping toward the insanity that claims many of his kind. Only Chloe can save him, but will she want to after he reveals his identity and the reason he broke her heart over a decade ago?



“Spyder’s Web” Buy Link and excerpt: http://www.loose-id.com/Spyders-Web.aspx

Blurb for “Spyder’s Web”:

I have a dark secret. I’m cursed with an intense sexual desire which can never be satisfied. If I abstain, I go mad. If I have sex, I black out and my partner ends up dead. The only way to break the curse is to find my protector and soul mate. James is a cop who thinks I’m the "Black Widow" serial killer people are talking about. He's watching in the shadows, waiting for me to slip up so he can send me to jail. My curse longs to claim him, but I resist because he saved my life. Soon, I will need him to do it again.Now his morbid fascination with me has turned into an obsession. I don't know how much longer I can keep him at arm's length. I'm not sure I want to...

Publisher's Note: This book contains explicit sexual content, graphic language, and situations that some readers may find objectionable: Anal play/intercourse, violence, voyeurism.


Visit Suzanne

Website: http://www.suzannerock.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Suzanne_Rock
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/suzanne.rock
Embrace the Shadows Blog: http://embracetheshadows.wordpress.com/
Embrace the Shadows Fan Club: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/embrace_the_shadows/

26 comments:

Suzanne Rock said...

Thanks so much for having me!

I'll pop in and out throughout the week to answer questions. I'll also post the winner of the contest here in the comment section on Friday, so be sure to subscribe to updates!

BTW - If you would like to read a review of "Up on the Housetop," go here: http://coffeetimeromance.com/BookReviews/uponthehousetop.html

Now I'm off to go Christmas shopping, but I'll be back later!

Unknown said...

Hi Suzanne :)
Thank you for sharing here today. I like how you described the character arc of your main characters. Both novels sounds very good. Thank you for including the blurbs and the links too. I've put both on my ToBeRead list.
Happy Holidays!
RKCharron
*re- Family Support= Yay for my mom and sister!

Anonymous said...

Glad I can call you friend Suzanne. Much continued success in your career! And, awesome review btw!

s7anna said...

I have to give major thanks to my Mum...I went some really dark times and I wouldn't have made it through without her unconditional love and support.

Happy Holidays
Anna Shah Hoque
s7anna@yahoo.ca

Anonymous said...

I shout out to my friends and family without them I would have reach rock bottom a long time ago.

Sue
okibi_insanity[at]yahoo[dot]com

booklover0226 said...

I would be a mess without my support system. I was out of work for about 7 months this year. I would not have made it through the tough times without my parents, uncles and aunts, and friends. They all supported me emotionally and spiritually.

Thanks,
Tracey D

Sherry said...

My family is always there for me no matter what. Lots of time it's just having someone to listen when I need to rant and rave about work. Sometimes its to loan me money in between checks. I know I can always depend on them.
sstrode@scrtc.com

Cathy M said...

It's definitely family for me too, especially my sisters. I can rant, laugh or cry with them, they definitely keep me sane in my all male household.

caity_mack(at)yahoo(dot)com

cait045 said...

Can't wait to read this one. The cover looks great!!!

My support system while I am at school is my girls. I have 5 girls that have been my rock for the last four years while I have been away from home.

usignolc(at)yahooDOTcom

Jane said...

Congrats on the upcoming release, Suzanne. I don't know where I would be without my family and friends. There also several coworkers that I'm close to who make the work day go faster.

Judy said...

My support team has always been my family and a few very good friends. Without them, things could have gotten rougher a few times in my life.

Judy (magnolias_1@msn.com)

Amanda Leigh said...

I have had a really tough time the last several years and without my wonderful friends and family I don't know what I would have done. From not always being able to have a job to not even being able to drive all the time, it's been a rough few years.

Amanda Leigh
mandan513(at)hotmail(dot)com

Anonymous said...

My husband, my children and my fellow writers are the perfect support system for me. In fact, Suzanne knows I'm always e-mailing her when I need a kick in the pants or a pat on the back! Rockin' review, Suzanne!! Congrats:)

The Scarf Princess said...

Since becoming a quadraplegic at the age of four it's been my family who have always been there supporting me and getting me to experience everything possible. Even though the doctors said I wouldn't last longer than six months--here we all are 34 years later as tight a knit family as ever (no matter the ups and downs).

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

Suzanne Rock said...

RKCharron - Thanks so much for having me here. I love discovering new blogs and love the layout of your site!

Jules! So glad you could stop by. Right back at you, chica! One day we are going to meet in person - I swear it. ;)

s7anna (anna) - Thanks so much for stopping by. I,too, owe a lot to my mum. She was my rock during my teenage years when it seemed like my life was turned upside down. I can definately relate!

Suzanne Rock said...

Sue (okibi) - Thanks so much for the comment! What would we do without our friends and family, eh? I would have probably been put in a looney bin, lol.

Tracey (booklover0226) - So sorry to hear that you were out of work for so long. I'm hearing similar stories all over the place. I hope things are better for you now. I'm so glad that you have such a great support system!

Sherry - Thanks for stopping by! I completely understand where you are coming from. Family is a huge support system for me. I don't know what I would do without them!

Suzanne Rock said...

CathyM - OMG, an all male household? My sympathies, lol. It's the exact opposite in my house - all women. We all get together and drive my husband crazy. hehe

cait045 - wow, 5 girls! You are definately blessed! So glad to hear that you have such a good support system away from home.

Jane - Sounds like you have a great support system. I, too, have a couple of coworkers at my day job that offer great support. It really helps get us through the work day, eh? ;)

Suzanne Rock said...

Judy - Thanks so much for stoping by! It sounds like you have great support system.

Amanda Leigh - ((HUGS)) so sorry to hear that you have had a rough time. I'm glad that you had such a great group of people to help you out. Hope that things are better for you now. Thank you so much for stopping by!

embracetheshadows - You know that you are a big part of my support system, lady! I'm so glad we met! Thanks for stopping by! You are such a sweetheart!

joder - wow, what a wonderful story! ((HUGS)) Sounds like you are truly blessed with a great support system. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Robyn Bachar said...

Awesome as always, Suzanne. :)

My mom and my BFF are my primary support system, and they're great at letting me vent. It's been a tough year, too.

I don't need to be entered to win a copy of Spyder's Web, I already have one. :)

SiNn said...

yano this is one of those questions id have to say my mom but thats kind of a given the one who has my back the most is my real life hero my fiance with out him id be lost him and my soon to bebrother in laws seem to all listen and undertsnad in away ur parents really cant because well while they can listen somethings you really dontw anna tell your mother or father but my friends andthem are exactly that my family

Suzanne Rock said...

Hi Robyn! Thanks so much for your compliment! :) Aren't BFFs great? It's so great to have people who let you vent about life in general. Thanks so much for stopping by!

SiNn - Hi! That's wonderful that you have such a great fiance. He sounds like quite a guy! Thanks so much for stopping by.

Misty said...

Great post Suzanne. I'd have to say my husband and my mom are definitely my support group and of course my 18 yr old son. It seems a little strange to sme but, I can and do talk to him alot when I have a problem or whatever and he does the same with me. We are very close I just hope it lasts after he graduates and moves out and becomes his own person ya know what I mean (I think you do anyway).

misty_labean yahoo com

Linda Henderson said...

My daughters are my support system. I have severe RA and they've had to take care of me sometimes, a lot sooner than we all expected. I know you always figure you will have to take care of your parents when they get old, but we didn't count on me getting in such bad shape in my mid-fifties. They have been wonderful about helping me out without complaining about what a pain it is. I'm very grateful and proud of them.
I am a follower

seriousreader at live dot com

Suzanne Rock said...

Misty - Thank you so much for stopping by! It sounds like you have a great support system. that's great that you have such a good relationship with your son.

Linda - It sounds like you have wonderful daughters! You are so blessed. I'm sorry to hear about your RA, but I'm sure it helps to have such a great support system. Thanks so much for stopping by!

Suzanne Rock said...

And the winner of "Up on the Housetop" is....



Amanda Leigh!

mandan513(at)hotmail(dot)com

Email me whith your perferred format to claim your prize! suzannerock @ ymail . com (no spaces)

Thanks everyone for stopping by! Happy Holidays!

Amanda Leigh said...

Thank you so much for having this contest! And thank you again Suzanne! I can't wait to get started reading!

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.