Saturday, April 10, 2010

Cajun Spice: Guest Blog with Kaylie Austen



I am a sci-fi/fantasy girl, through and through. Give me Comic-Con over shopping any day! So when no one wanted to pick up my work, I moved into a genre that was completely out of my comfort zone: paranormal romance. Imagine my surprise, and sense of accomplishment, when I received an offer for my novella, Cajun Spice.


The bookstores were saturated with vampires vs. werewolves, so how could I possibly stand out? First of all, I didn’t go with vampires. I wanted to go against the grain, so shape-shifter it was. I simply created a character based on my favorite comic book stud; hence the amorous and brooding man from the Bayou with a French-Cajun accent so thick, the very sound would make your knees buckle. He had to be dominant and devilish, raging with an internal war between man and beast, making him undeniably sexy. Who doesn’t love the dangerous type? Did I mention that he (Ethan) is also a firefighter? Can I mention that some of this is also based on my husband?


Ethan is bound by an unspoken Law in the clandestine realm of the paranormal to annihilate his rogue brother. This macabre odyssey sends him straight to NYC where a local clan takes him in. Here, Ethan meets and falls for the clan’s human, Kila. She isn’t feeble but a human is a human and can never sit at the pinnacle of the natural order of things.


Kila, a mere mortal, can’t know about the shifters and live. Thus, her unintended knowledge hurtles her into a perilous adventure amid the fog that always preludes transforming shifters. Kila inadvertently becomes the center of attention and her mating with Ethan will soon spread through to the entire world of shifters.


Being a novella, the storyline is a bit fast-paced. It will appear with a few other like stories in an anthology called Weres in the City Digest 1, available through Midnight Showcase in the beginning of May 2010. I hope that all of my readers will enjoy it.


Contact me on Facebook, listed under Kaylie Austen page and group.

3 comments:

Stacy Thomas said...

That sounds like a great story! I can't wait to read it!

Leigh M. Lane said...

I'm right there with you: I'd take comics or space adventures over shopping any day ... and any character based on Gambit has got to be good! ;-)

Laura Bickle said...

Congrats! I can't wait to read it.

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.