Thursday, April 1, 2010

New Orleans and Its Vampire Mystique by Nicole Hadaway

As many of you have probably noticed, New Orleans, and indeed Louisiana in general, has become what Transylvania is to Europe -- the vampire center of the United States. So, what is it about this locale that has people mesmerized, as if they were staring into a vampire's eyes?



Personally, I think alot has to do with the venerable author Anne Rice, and her decision to set Interview With the Vampire in the New Orleans area. Interview has in many ways defined modern vampire fiction -- no longer were vampires the dark, evil monsters as portrayed in Dracula, but they were now immortal humans, who had hopes, dreams, many of them dashed by their newfound vampire lives.

Ms. Rice's decision to include New Orleans and its environs as the setting of her novel was likely due in part by her familiarity of the area: she grew up and lived in New Orleans. However, having been a one-time resident of the Crescent City myself, I can say that there is a certain magic to be found there, perhaps due to its many hauntings, checkered past as the port which harbored such dangerous and nefarious trades as slavery and piracy. New Orleans also had a large population that had fled Haiti during its revolution, and thus the religion of Voodoo was introduced into the region and the US.


That, coupled with hot, very humid weather; the nearby swamps which were home to many strange and dangerous creatures (including poisonous snakes, alligators, and black widow spiders -- no doubt the cause of death of many a missing person who ventured into the Spanish-moss-covered trees never to return) -- it's no wonder the city, and Louisiana in general, has become a place of wonder and mystery.

Haunted history tours are very popular in New Orleans, the most famous of which is hosted by Sidney and Kalila Smith. You can find more information (including about the 'real' vampire that inhabited New Orleans, Jacques St. Germaine -- descendant of the legendary Compte St. Germaine) at their website, and I would like to acknowledge that the research provided in their novel, New Orleans Ghosts, Voodoo and Vampires was instrumental in writing my short story.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having me here today, Roxanne!

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

Well I am letting you as soon as I get home this evening, I will be going over there to take a peek at it to read!

Having always lived about an hour away from New Orleans, I love any story that is set around it. It is the mystery city OF mystery cities!! I mean... us as Louisiana people,lol, have always considered LA to be its own little world. Couple that with New Orleans... and we are a world of our own! But one I would not trade for anything!

So, I will be heading that way hon!
Hope all is well!

EC said...

Great blurb on a city I hope to one day visit! And a great guest too.

Roxanne Rhoads said...

I LOVE New Orleans. My novella Eternal Desire is set in New Orleans.

I have always been in love with the city and it was a dream come true to visit it during Mardi Gras.

I hope to one day soon go back and explore when it is not Mardi Gras so I can take in the place without all the people. I want to take the haunted tours and visit the graveyards and see the garden district and of course sit in the square eating beignets and drinking coffee.

Sheila Deeth said...

Heading over to read the short story. I'd often wondered why New Orleans.

W.J. Howard said...

Love New Orleans! Great guest post!

Still got the short warming up on the Kindle. Hoping to get to it this weekend.

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.