Friday, November 4, 2011

Interview with Chloe Neill Author of the Chicagoland Vampires Series

I am thrilled to have Chloe Neill here today as part of her Drink Deep tour,
the newest book in the Chicagoland Vampires series.



Welcome Chloe, thanks for being here. Can you tell readers a little bit about yourself and what inspired to write in this particular genre?

Sure! I'm the author of the Chicagoland Vampires series. The fifth book, DRINK DEEP, is now on shelves. I enjoy
writing urban fantasy because I get to make up the rules, and we get different than our usual day-to-day drama.

Do you have a special formula for creating characters' names? Do you try to match a name with a certain meaning to attributes of the character or do you search for names popular in certain time periods or regions?

I try to make sure the name matches the person. Merit was originally "Kate," but I knew "Kate" wasn't the right name for her. Merit, however, stuck. I keep a list of names I might want to use in the future, and I also have a baby name book just in case. If I'm creating a character from a particular location other than the US, I'll research appropriate names for that area.

Was one of your characters more challenging to write than another?

I always think Mallory is the hardest to write. It can be difficult to get the right mix between her flightiness and intelligence.

Is there a character that you enjoyed writing more than any of the others?


Ethan is a joy to write because his voice is so profound. There are things he can say that no other character could pull off.

Do you write in different genres?

I do. I'm also the author of the DARK ELITE, a magical young adult series. The third book in that series, CHARMFALL, will be released in January.

Do you find it difficult to write in multiple genres?

It can be a challenge to switch from YA to adult writing, and I find writing YA much more difficult. There are so many more rules to obey--like keeping kids in school and drivers' licenses.

When did you consider yourself a writer?

Not until I started writing fiction in 2005. :)

What are your guilty pleasures in life?

Diet Coke, baking very fattening desserts, great handbags, and lots of books!

Where is your favorite place to read? Do you have a cozy corner or special reading spot?

I have a full time job, so I don't have much time for reading. I try to steal 15 minutes before bed each night, so I'm usually in bed with PJs on.

Where can readers find you on the web?

I'm on Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads, and fans can find links to all the above
on my website: http://chloeneill.com

Thanks for having me!

Thanks for being here today, Chloe.



My review snippet made it into Chloe's newsletter:

"Neill has created a complex world filled with vampires and magic, political subplots, heavy emotions, and a surreal reality thrown into turmoil that make this book a quick paced read you just can't put down. -- Fang-Tastic Books

4 comments:

Rhapsdyb said...

Oh boy, another author and series to add to my 'must read list', lol.
Thanks for this review site and a chance to see inside the author's head.
Liz Bancroft
rhapsdyb@yahoo.com

Denise Z said...

Thanks for sharing with me about this wonderful interview. I am glad I hopped over and enjoyed it very much.

Tarah Scott said...

I love that series title Chicagoland Vampires. Very unique.

peter said...

Peter is an author, psychology professor and former private practitioner. But Peter himself didn't put pen to paper at all, and he once even stated he'd never read them coz he "Knew what was in them anyway". Peter may have 500 articles in Canadian and USA media/magazines written and also many more books, so you could try looking up? I read books written HAUNTED NIAGARA: LEGENDS, Best Selling Vampire Book and Horror book for Children, Best Selling Vampire Book
Thanks

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.