Friday, March 9, 2012

Review A Sliver of Shadow by Allison Pang

A Sliver of Shadow (Abby Sinclair, #2)A Sliver of Shadow by Allison Pang

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Who wouldn't love a book with a horny unicorn as a sidekick? Phin is so much fun to read- I wish he would have been featured a bit more in this book but that's OK I'm sure his naughty self will show up more in future books.

The second installment of Pang's Abby Sinclair series takes us out of the urban fantasy world and more into high fantasy as she takes us into fairy. This may pose a problem for some readers who prefer their fantasy on the urban side. Me I don't really care, especially when I've already fell in love with the characters.

Plus I read LKH's Merry Gentry series which moves back and forth into fairy a lot. Several other series do as well including Kalayna Price's Alex Craft books which started off in an urban fantasy world and drifted into fairy as the series developed. As long as it's a natural progression to the story I have no problem with the overlap between genres.



I was a little surprised at the revelation in this book about Abby's parentage- but it only reveals a bit of the mystery and adds depth to what's going on, especially when the end comes and you catch a glimpse of the craziness that will happen in book 3.

Abby is a unique character with the flaws and mystery an urban fantasy heroine must have, along with a quirky sidekick, strange magick, family skeletons in the closet, and a complicated love life.

I look forward to reading book 3.

View all my reviews

No comments:

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.