Tuesday, June 5, 2018

What I'm Reading and Binge Watching This Week

So I just finished Dark on Netflix last night. Arg, my brain hurts. Time travel paradoxes and time loops... But seriously, wow. Apparently many people feel the same about this German show because filming for season 2 starts June 25.

For months it has popped up in my recommendations but I didn't think I would like it. Finally I said, screw it, I'll give it a try. 


The first episode was kinda slow and really consisted of me thinking to myself "what the fuck is this?" But by the second episode I was hooked. 


The show centers around two main time periods 1986 and 2019 though you will see a bit of 1953 and 2052 before the season ends. 33 years between each time period. You will see the same group of people mostly in each timeline, or their relatives. 


The entire show is very twisty and dark as hell. Secrets, lies, trying to figure out who is good, who is bad or if things are really so black and white. By the end you feel like everything is a gray area.


You can watch the show in German with English subtitles or English dubbed. Personally I HATE subtitles. I want to enjoy a show, not read it. I save reading for my books. The English dub is annoying at first. Disembodied voices that don't match the lips...but you get used to it after awhile.


Netflix has really made me enjoy sci-fi shows more than I ever thought I would. 


I LOVED Altered Carbon and Travelers.  Altered Carbon has not been renewed yet for a season 2 but Travelers has been filming season 3. I don't know a release date yet.


I've been trying to find something else to take up the quiet space, so I returned to The Killing. And I instantly remembered why I stopped watching it. The emotional stuff leaves me gutted. When Rosie's parents, then her brothers find out she's dead....but I'm trudging through half-heartedly watching it.



In non-fiction books I'm working my way through Ghostland an American History in Haunted Places by Colin Dickey  and in fiction I'm reading The Sugar Maple Chronicles: 4 Book Collection by Barbara Bretton. I read the first 3 books years ago when they first came out. I thought I had read book 4 but after going through them I realized I had not. So I'm finishing that so I can move on to Enchanted (The Wedding Story): The Sugar Maple Chronicles - Book 5 and 
Entangled: The Homecoming: The Sugar Maple Chronicles - Book 6


This summer I plan to catch up on all my series. I finally read Kim Harrison's The Turn last week. Damn. Made me really miss The Hollows. But good news. She announced a new Hollows book is coming...with Rachel and Ivy! 

Next up will be catching up on the Charley Davidson Series by Darynda Jones. I heard 13 is the final book. I haven't read book nine yet. *Sigh* But I am catching up, slowly but surely.

So what are you reading or watching these days?

1 comment:

essay writing help online said...

Thank you for this post. This is very interesting information for me.

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.