Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Guest Author Lynda Hilburn Talking About Sexy Vamps







Hello, everyone! I’d like to thank Roxanne for inviting me to blog at Fang-tastic Books today! I really appreciate her gracious support of all things vampire.

I’ll admit it: I’m a rabid vampire fan. From the first moment I read Bram Stoker’s Dracula as a kid, I was hooked. My mother was horrified that I read such dark, grisly material. She felt certain it couldn’t be good for me. I don’t think she understood the depth of her daughter’s love of the mysterious, scary and occult. But my weirdness is her fault, anyway! She’s the one who talked to dead people while doing laundry in the basement, so communing with deceased relatives became normal for me, too. With that kind of background, how could I NOT love vampires and the paranormal?

The idea for the Kismet Knight, Vampire Psychologist series came from a client session in my psychotherapy practice. As I listened to a young woman talk about her paranormal experience and her desire to join an alternative world, I became intrigued. In this case, she talked about being an alien abductee, but the language she used echoed in my mind after the therapeutic hour. It reminded me of scenes from various vampire books I’d read throughout the years.

Prior to that day, I’d mostly written nonfiction: psychology articles, self-help training materials, hypnotherapy guides, newspaper columns, workbooks, workshop information, etc. I’d only branched out into fiction a few months earlier, after discovering a wonderful, new (new to me!) genre called “paranormal romance.”

I went home that evening in 2003, sat down in front of the computer, and began writing the story of a Denver psychologist who thinks she’s discovered a new psychological category: vampire wannabes, but instead finds herself pulled into a dark underworld of real bloodsuckers.

Writing that first book (The Vampire Shrink) was a great experience. Since my main female character, Kismet Knight, is an idealized version of me, I gave myself free rein to live out all my fantasies through her. Not only did she meet frightening nightwalkers, clever witches, a mysterious psychic, a helpful ghost, and a handsome FBI profiler, but her life changed forever when she encountered gorgeous, ancient, magical vampire named Devereux.

The series is reality based. The only aspect of the books that isn’t “real,” (at least I haven’t discovered a real one in my waiting room yet!) is vampires. Everything else exists in the world I’m familiar with. I know lots of witches, psychics, wizards, and ghosts. I wanted my vampires to be hidden from the human world because the unknown, forbidden element of the vampire mythology most appeals to me.

I don’t see vampires as humans with fangs. Due to the mystical transformation they undergo, they’re a separate species – formerly human but no longer. Most of the bloodsuckers have no problem doing whatever they must to exist. They don’t feel bad about being vampires. In fact, some of them view themselves as superior to mortals.

Kismet has a rough time through the first book facing her new reality. The scientist in her refuses to let go of her therapeutic mindset. As a clinician myself, I know there are usually “logical” explanations for every strange symptom and experience presented by clients, so it makes sense to me that Kismet would resist seeing the vampires and vampire wannabes as anything but mentally ill.

But when the proof becomes too overwhelming for her to ignore, the undead fireworks begin!

I’m happy that readers seem to love Devereux. He was a surprise to me. When I wrote the scene where Kismet’s young client describes the vampire master she’s attracted to, I was certain he’d be a dark-haired man. That’s the type I envision when I fantasize about mesmerizing nosferatu. But Devereux insisted on having very light blond hair and blue/green eyes. I even tried to talk him out of it, but – as anyone knows who reads my books – Devereux is a very strong, opinionated fellow, and he refused to be other than he is. But I must admit, he was right. I now dream of that long, silky hair flowing over my body and hearing his velvet voice whispering in my mind . . .

It’s been a challenge to categorize my series. It’s generally paranormal fiction with strong romance elements, mystery, horror, humor, and sex. It can also be viewed as vampire chick lit, urban fantasy and dark contemporary fantasy. It gets shelved in different places in every bookstore: horror, fantasy, romance and general fiction. I just hope readers will keep tracking my books down!

I’m currently working on the third book in the Kismet series, as well as some other book ideas. And my short story, “Blood Song,” is in the recently released Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance.
Leave a comment here giving us a description of your ideal, gorgeous vampire. I’ll give away a copy of one of my books (your choice, either The Vampire Shrink or Dark Harvest) to the winner.

Thanks so much for having me!

24 comments:

Ms. Asphyxia said...

I don't have to make this up since this character exists (well, in books and in my mind): Tall, blond, loved to wear red velvet, pale skin, Keltic/Nordic look, and blue eyes.

Chris said...

Welcome, Lynda!

My ideal vampire would be tall, black haired, and have green or hazel eyes.

Lynda Hilburn said...

Hi, Valorie and Chris! Yum. Both those descriptions sound great. I'm partial to vampires with longer hair and wonderful eyes. Beyond that, I'm easy to please! LOL. Thanks for commenting.
Lynda

Lynda Hilburn said...

Roxanne! Thanks so much for having me at Fang-tastic today! It's great to be here.
Lynda

Roxanne Rhoads said...

Hi Lynda thanks for joining us today.

My ideal vamp has longish wavy black hair and unreal green eyes, he's tall and muscle bound though not real bulky (except his bicepts, love big biceps) he's lean and sinewy.

Judy said...

Long black straight hair, tall , a little lean, yet with a slight muscular build. Beautiful greenish eyes and a mellow tone to his voice. He must always be neat with black his main color for clothes.

Kara said...

My ideal vampire already exists (in NJ Walters Dalakis Series) and that would be six-foot-six, heavily muscled, long, black leather duster, a black linen shirt and a pair of black jeans, waist-length, black hair, and brilliant emerald green eyes - Stefan Dalakis.

Unknown said...

Very Tall, Very muscular, loooooong dark wavy hair, chocolate brown eyes and he's gotta wear dark clothing!

Val
lastnerve2000@gmail.com

Roxanne Rhoads said...

I am catching a theme here, tall dark and vampy...seems most of us like our vamps with dark hair and lots of muscles.

Estella said...

I fell in love with Devereaux when I read The Vampire Shrink, so you know what my ideal vampire looks like.

Blodeuedd said...

Black hair, short, piercing green eyes, tall, he doesn't have to be that pale really. Handsome, sexy and you know what, he should wear a kilt ;)

Anonymous said...

My ideal vampire is six-foot-six, heavily muscled,long, black leather trench coat, a black t-shirt and skin-tight back leather pants and black motorcycle boots. He has long luxuriant copper red hair, down to the top of his buttocks and deep, dark, royal purple eyes.

The Scarf Princess said...

My ideal vampire is brunette with green eyes. He's over 6 feet tall, has rock hard abs, and a few tats.

Do you think there's a classified section in the paper where I could place this ad?

Lynda Hilburn said...

Judy: Yeah, the voice is important, right?

Kara: Wowza. Stefan sounds perfect. Sigh.

Val: Grin. Ditto on the long, dark hair.

Roxanne: And isn't it great how many women have bloodsucking fantasy objects?

Estella! Thank you so much for falling in love with Devereux! I did, too. He's addicting.

Blodeuedd: A vampire in a kilt! Sounds excellent to me!

annbluff: Geez. I can feel that luxurious copper red hair between my fingers . . .

joder: LOL about the classifieds, but you could put this ad in any paper and you'd get responses. Not the kind you HOPE for, but you'd get them!

Thanks for commenting, everyone! What a great group of blog readers!

Soni Vamp said...

My ideal, gorgeous vampire looks much like Henry Fitzroy (tv show "Blood Ties") brought to perfect, life, or death, by the actor Kyle Schmid: average height 5ft 10" (well taller than myself at 5ft 7"), that handsome chisled jaw and shoulder length, wavy reddish hair that catches the light beautifully.
With naughty grin and gleam in the eyes, yet still predatory - inciting both fear and longing!
With a face that reflects as much human emotion, as it does blood thirst.
And a nice, lean yet sinewy body.
And that's my two cents!

P.S.@ Roxanne and Lynda, FYI - I mentioned about your Blog and this contest on my blog: Vampire Phile and at KyleSchmidCentral.com.

Annemarie said...

I'm fairly open in the looks department, but sarcasm/snark is an absolute must. Give me an ironic sense of humour on a vampire and I'm beside myself.

Viola Estrella said...

Hi Lynda!
Great post! I love the story of how you were inspired. I'm just about to start reading DH. Looking forward to jumping into Kismet's next adventure. :-)

Caffey said...

Mmmm.
I see my vampire hero with his hair a bit over grown and would look so good messy :) Too a fuzzy navel and too love the silent type that doesn't say much with words but says alot with his actions!

Heard so many great things about your series Lynda!! More to come in the series?

Lynda Hilburn said...

Hi, Soni! Thanks for stopping by, and for mentioning this post on your blog! Hugs! I enjoyed that show and was sorry it got canceled. Why is it that vampires are so popular in books and movies, but TV shows have a hard time catching an audience? I can't get enough vamps.

Dear A.M. I'm with you! I love a man with a witty brain. In fact, if he doesn't have one, I lose interest.

Thank you, Viola! I'm glad you commented and I hope you like DH. (Viola is one of the wonderful members of my local CRW chapter. Talk about a group of excellent writers.)

Hi, Caffey! Thanks for coming by. And thanks for the kind words about my series.

Kytaira said...

My perfect vamp would have dark hair and chocolate brown eyes. About 6 feet tall with a smooth chest and 6 pack abs. Not musle bound but well defined. The hard part is I'd want him to have a tan.

Pretty much just described my hubby except he doesn't have a tan. And I think he drank that 6 pack!

lynda98662 at yahoo dot com

Lynda Hilburn said...

Kytaira: Wow. Sounds like you've got a hunky hubby. Lucky you! Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Love the article Lynda and your series sounds amazing. Great to hear how you use your own background and apply it to your writing.

My ideal vampire would have to resemble the immortal I have created in my trilogy. He is tall, dark and handsome with a chiseled face and irresistible blue-green eyes. A being that walks as if he is caring a long sea of history in his every step.

Becky said...

I like hot vampire shape-shifters... sort of like what is depicted in Samantha Sommersby's latest book,"Forbidden: The Temptation."

Carlene said...

What a great review. My ideal vampire is Edward Cullen. Please include me in your drawing.
Thanks
Carlene
iluvreading(at)verizon.net

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.