Friday, November 27, 2009

Interview with Melissa Burmester 15 Year Old Author of Ginger High

I have something special for you today, an interview with an inspiring author.

Why is she inspiring? Because she's only 15 and has already written and published her first novel, Ginger High.

So please welcome Melissa Burmester to Fang-tastic Books!




RR: I read that you've been writing since you were 12 and that you are now in high school so how old are you?

MB: I am fifteen and I am in the tenth grade.

RR: You are pretty motivated to have a published book already at your age, have you published any other works like poems or short stories?


MB: I have written some short stories but they have never been published. I have combined the stories into a novel called Casus Belli. The story revolves around a man who died but did not crossover to heaven because he has some unfinished business to attend.

RR: What inspired Ginger High?

MB: When I was younger, I watched the anime series called Mew Mew Power. The characters in the show had special powers and they lived on a parallel world. I also liked to watch Angel with my mother and that was when I got the idea to include vampires in my book.

RR: How long did it take you to complete the book?

MB: I started to write the book when I was twelve. The first draft took about six months to complete, and the final manuscript was completed in two years.

RR: Are you a Twilight fan, are you characters similar or are your vampires totally different?

MB: When I started to write my novel, I did not even read Twilight yet. I was a fan when I read it in eighth grade but now have I lost interest in the series. I feel that my characters are unique and there is no romance between a vampire and a human.

RR: Your family must be very supportive of your writing, how do your parents feel about you being a published author at such a young age?

MB: My mother and father are very supportive and they think it is great that I am a published author.

RR: Can you tell readers a little about Ginger High?

MB: Ginger high is a school for students with special powers. The story opens in 1901 where a series of murders take place and all the victims have bite marks on their neck. Could it be a vampire? The story then advances to modern day where a young girl, Daisy, attends Ginger High after her old school burns down. Daisy befriends Amanta, Matthias, and Tearu who traveled through a portal from the Kingdom of Animist. Animist is a parallel universe where the people living there have supernatural powers. They were sent to the school to help solve the mystery. The plot includes the supernatural powers of vampires and magical powers of those who can teleport heal others and create fire. Daisy realizes that she has a special power and has to learn how to live with it. The book combines murder, mystery, horror and fantasy.

RR: Will there be a sequel to Ginger High or are you planning to make it a series?

MB: Yes, there is a sequel to Ginger High and I am planning to make it a series.

RR: What are you currently working on? Do you have any other books scheduled to come out?

MB: I am currently working on the sequel to Ginger High and it is in the process of being edited. I do not have any books scheduled to be released.

RR: Thank You for a great Interview.






Bio:

Melissa Burmester is presently living in East Moriches, NY with her twin brother George, her parents and their cat Cosmo. Melissa has been writing about vampires and the supernatural since the age of twelve. She has written a few short stories, but “Ginger High” is her first novel. She is presently attending Westhampton Beach High School, and is in the tenth grade. She is planning a career as a writer and a teacher.

3 comments:

Melissa (Books R Us) said...

Thanks for the GREAT interview.

Melissa

Witchy Woman said...

Melissa,

Thank you for dropping by Fang-tastic Books, and sharing your thoughts. I commend you for what you've already accomplished; at your age. I look forward to reading your book, and wish you luck in all your future endeavors.

Martha Lawson said...

Melissa, you are truly inspring!! Good luck in all you do.

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.