Monday, January 11, 2010

The Flint Journal Gets Bitten by the Vampire Craze


For the first time my daughter is excited to read the newspaper, really...she can't wait.

Why?

Because starting this Friday January 15th, Vampire Nation, a serialized story by Michigan Author Johnathan Rand will start being published every week for 15 weeks.

Vampire Nation will be written more for a middle school age group of kids (but I think anyone can enjoy it), I know my 10 year old really loves his Michigan Chillers and American Chillers stories, we have quite a few books of his.

A really great thing about the serialized story is that "Classes all over the region may follow the story, and teachers may use a guide designed by the Michigan Reading Association for the serial. Families can use an 'at-home component' printed with each chapter with activities related to the story."

How great is that? The newspaper and author are using the twilight vampire craze to encourage kids to read and giving teachers and families the opportunity to participate in it and work with the kids so they get the most out of their reading.

Here's what Vampire Nation is all about:

Amber McMurray of Flint loves to read scary books but is sick of the vampire craze. She longs for a good ghost story. But when a new hit TV series called “Vampire Nation” is filmed in her hometown, she starts seeing people all over Flint dressing like the undead.

Amber discovers the truth — the entire country is becoming a nation of vampires, unless she and her friends do something.

A new chapter will be published every Friday for the next 15 weeks.

Even if you aren't in Flint you can follow the story at

And by the way, the whole premise of a TV show being filmed in Flint? Awesome. In case you haven't heard Flint has become a low class Hollywood wannabe. We've had several movies filmed in and around Flint along with some TV shows, too. So the whole storyline is great, very current and very vampiric.

I am looking forward to it as much as my daughter is.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Hi! Just found your blog and I like it! I'm a follower now! come follow me if you like my site!
Cindy
princessbookie.com

Unknown said...

Wow, Flint's gonna be on the map again, good deal!! For us down state it's just a blur as we fly by on our way to Frankenmuth!! LOL!! I can't believe all the movies they're making in Michigan!! I had to go around closed streets twice last month, shut down for movies. I don't think we even get good book excerpt's in the Detroit papers. The papers are soo small I don't take home delivery anymore, doesn't seem worth the $$. I hear a warm-up is on the way!!! Take care, Sue

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.