Friday, August 19, 2011

Guest Blog with Susan Blexrud

Thank you, Roxanne, for hosting me today at Fangtastic Books.

This is an exciting day for me because the fifth story in my fang series, Black Fang, just debuted.

Here’s the blurb…

Someone is deliberately infecting bats with a deadly fungus. The flying mammals are dying by the thousands, and along with them, a significant number of vampires in bat form have also succumbed.

Enter John and Lauren Wright. The vampire couple has conquered evil enemies in the past, but the perpetrator behind the bat deaths is more cunning than any they’ve encountered. Though John initially suspects that werewolves are the culprits, he discovers he is up against a colony of Unseelie faeries. The intoxicating scent of the faeries has been known to deceive vampires, pitting friend against friend—and wife against husband.


I chose to write about bats after reading an article in The Orlando Sentinel in January 2010 about white-nose syndrome, a real fungus that is decimating bat populations in the U.S. As a vampire writer, I’ve always been fascinated by these little mammals (NO, they’re NOT rodents), and the valuable environmental functions they provide. They gobble up mosquitoes like their guano depended on it, and they’re master pollinators.

So, I got to thinking, if bats are in crisis, who besides humans would come to their aid? Vampires, of course. Okay, there’s the story kernel. Now, where’s the conflict? What if a werewolf was in charge of the Environmental Protection Agency and faeries were responsible for spreading the fungus? Ah, yes. And wouldn’t you just know that those faeries would have some tricks up their tutus? Not the least of which is their intoxicating scent, which makes vampires go bat shit, pardon the pun.

When vampires, werewolves, and faeries collide, it’s a wild romp through a paranormal underworld of mayhem, violence, and hanky panky.

www.susanblexrud.com

9 comments:

Roxanne Rhoads said...

Thanks for joining us Susan, always a pleasure to have you at Fang-tastic Books.

Congrats on your newest release.

Michele L. said...

Many congrats Susan on your 5th E-book in the series! That is an amazing accomplishment!

All the best to you!

Susan Blexrud said...

Thanks, Roxanne. I always love my visits to Fang-Tastic Books!

And Michele, I appreciate your kind words! I like writing about these characters, and there may be more in the series.

Miriam Newman said...

John and Lauren hanky-pank like no one else.

Kate Hofman said...

Susan, you know how much I love your FANG books - and Julian is just irresistible on your covers.
Keep right on writing, and I'll keep right on reading with huge delight.

KATE

Susan Blexrud said...

Hah, Miriam, you know I love the hanky panky aspect. You can count on me for that!

And Kate, thanks so much. I promise to keep writing my vamps, if you keep writing your Greek hotties.

Kate Hofman said...

Susan, right now I'm writing a really hot Spanish guy - does he count?
I've always felt there was something extra about a Vampire though. And a Vampire who looks like Julian is a huge hit!

xoxo KATE

Mary said...

Susan , your vampires are the best ! I have loved your books from the first one. glad you have more planned. I like that you brought the very real tragedy of the white nose fungus into it. Wish one of your vampires could come to life and really solve the problem.

Susan Blexrud said...

Mary, thanks for supporting my vampire clan. If I ever do a story with Lucianno as the lead, I'll need a blonde vamp on the cover. Hmm. Wonder who that might be? LOL!

 
BLOG DESIGN FOR FANG-TASTIC BOOKS BY BARBARA.
RED CORSET © HALAQUINN ARCADIAS. GOTHIC NIGHT © ASHEN SHARROW.